Anniversary Update installed without problems

Abe Froman
NewLounger

Re: Anniversary Update installed without problems

Post by Abe Froman »

Bob:

As indicated in the initial inquiry/post, I am using-and have been using-SONY 4.7GB DVD+R. As a matter of routine I have successfully erased and/or formatted or re-formatted these SONY DVD+R discs on either machine mentioned dating (in the case of the Dell laptop) to 2011. As a matter of fact two were done last Friday (one day prior to download/install of Anniversary Update.

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

Abe Froman wrote:Bob:

As indicated in the initial inquiry/post, I am using-and have been using-SONY 4.7GB DVD+R. As a matter of routine I have successfully erased and/or formatted or re-formatted these SONY DVD+R discs on either machine mentioned dating (in the case of the Dell laptop) to 2011. As a matter of fact two were done last Friday (one day prior to download/install of Anniversary Update.
Hi Abe,

Then I will assume you meant DVD+RW and not DVD+R. +R and -R are write once only. The +RW and -RW are the rewritable media.

Check the non-recording surface of your DVD. It will show the type of DVD It is. If you have been able to erase and format then it will be a "RW" media.
Regards,
Bob

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

Abe Froman wrote:Bob:

As indicated in the initial inquiry/post, I am using-and have been using-SONY 4.7GB DVD+R.
Just ran a test in Windows 10 Pro Anniversary Update. I did not have any DVD+RW in stock but had plenty of old Maxell DVD-RW from years ago.

Albeit I have Ashampoo Burning Studio 16 in my library, I used the Windows 10 provided DVD burn application to conduct the testing. Everything worked as expected.

The maximum number of files allowed to be attached are 3... here are the first 3:
2016-08-08_22-23-01.jpg
2016-08-08_22-23-18.jpg
2016-08-08_22-24-16.jpg
I then copied over 1,000 files to the DVD-RW. Then erased them which left the DVD-RW ready to be formatted and used again.

If you are indeed using DVD+RW, then I might suggest there could be a problem with the medium if you have used it many times. Have you tried a new, blank, DVD+RW.

As an added note, there should be no difference using DVD+RW or DVD-RW medium with the Windows 10 burn software. Of course your DVD device needs to support the appropriate spec.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Bob

Abe Froman
NewLounger

Post by Abe Froman »

Bob:

I'm uncertain I have the ability to make this reply sufficiently complicated for you to understand.

1. The issue raised in the OP is NOT the type of DVD used. Rather, and to repeat unnecessarily, it is the point the AU altered existing settings on two different machines during the install of the update on either machine.

2. In the FWIW category and, once again, to repeat unnecessarily, there is a SONY DVD in front of me as I type this reply as there was as the OP was prepared. The disk is labeled as follows: SONY DVD+R 120min/4.7GB AccuCORE. May I suggest attention and focus be placed with the actual inquiry subject, i.e. is there a work around or fix available?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Abe Froman wrote:I'm uncertain I have the ability to make this reply sufficiently complicated for you to understand.
Do I detect sarcasm here?

Please keep in mind that all participants here are volunteers who try to help others to the best of their ability. In order to get to the core of a problem, it is often helpful to obtain extra information to rule out possible causes of the problem.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

Abe Froman wrote:...
I'm uncertain I have the ability to make this reply sufficiently complicated for you to understand.
Wow, it seems you think I do not understand your issue. Trust me, I do.
1. The issue raised in the OP is NOT the type of DVD used. Rather, and to repeat unnecessarily, it is the point the AU altered existing settings on two different machines during the install of the update on either machine.
The type of DVD medium is pertinent, but let's sidestep that for a moment.

Check what driver is being used for your optical disc through Device Manager. Then go to \Windows\System32\Drivers looking for that driver. Rename it with a extension that denotes you have made it a backup.

Then go to \Windows.old\Windows\System32\Drivers and look for the same driver. Copy that driver over to the Windows\System32\Drivers and reboot your PC. If the AU provided a corrupt CD\DVD driver then restoring old driver should correct the issue.
2. In the FWIW category and, once again, to repeat unnecessarily, there is a SONY DVD in front of me as I type this reply as there was as the OP was prepared. The disk is labeled as follows: SONY DVD+R 120min/4.7GB AccuCORE. May I suggest attention and focus be placed with the actual inquiry subject, i.e. is there a work around or fix available?
OK, back to the medium issue. You repeatedly state "The disk is labeled as follows: SONY DVD+R 120min/4.7GB AccuCORE".

Might I respectfully suggest, when you have time, to read this post.
Regards,
Bob

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

I hesitate to get involved here as I am no expert on the topic (and have not used disc media for ages, preferring the flash drive).

Having scanned the web on the topic I see it is very inconclusive regarding formatting DVD+R. Before I give my comments, have a look at these quotes:
Computing.net wrote:EDIT:
Completely Re-written response.
I think BrentW.Geller might be thinking of a CD-RW because I find it hard to see why anyone would want to format a CD-R.
However, despite what I've believed in the past I now think it might be possible to format a CD-R (or DVD-R) at the outset for packet writing, i.e. so that you can copy/paste or drag and drop files onto it until it is full. I also think that some software will only allow this on re-writable disks - maybe the same applies to Win 10.
...and...
Computing.net wrote:Whatever, you DO NOT format a CD-R before use and I am surprised to see posters that think you can or should. You only do that on a CD-RW.
You can leave a session open on a CD-R (for adding stuff until it is full) but that is a different matter - it formats as it goes along.
Windows seems to be scant when it comes to working with disc media, and only present the user with the bare minimum of control. Whether some of this has changed in Win10, I dunno as I'm not using it, but my comment would be to use a dedicated app for formatting/burning purposes. There are plenty out there for free.

Lastly, Abe, I won't reiterate what Hans has said, but I do agree that you can lighten up on your reply. We are a smaller community, befriending each other and learning from each other through our posts. Ultimately we'd reach a conclusion or solution, but just as important is our respect for each others time and friendship. If you hang around long enough here, you'd see this first hand.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Peter S
NewLounger

Post by Peter S »

My update installed smoothly with one weird exception: I had to re-activate MS Office Professional 2013 (desktop version). This was also the case when I initially upgraded from Windows 8.1 to the first build of Windows 10. In both cases re-activation of Office went without a hitch.
(My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core CPU; MSI X570-A PRO Mobo; Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 32GB RAM; 2TB Corsair Force Series MP600 2TB PCIe Gen 4.0 M.2 NVMe SSD. 1TB SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 NVME SSD; 512GB SAMSUNG 850 PRO SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; Nvidia GeForce TX 2060 Super Ventus Graphics Card (SLI); Microsoft 365 Home; Condusiv SSDKeeper Professional; Acronis TI 2020 Premium, VMWare Workstation 15 Player. HP 1TB USB SSD External Backup Drive). Dell G-Sync 144Hz Monitor.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Good to hear that!
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Finally its reached far north just before winter sets in!
Just installed the update ... looks good but yet to check for any 'screw-ups'. I love the fact that Microsoft provide good screen commentary during these updates ... there is nothing worse than blank screens and the associated feeling of 'will it, won't it'.
Good one MS
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks for the feedback!
Best wishes,
Hans

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

AMD Athlon II x 2 250 - 64 bit. Prompted to install 1607 Anniversary update this afternoon. Took an hour and 15 minutes. All went well, with one notable exception! Windows insisted that I had Norton Internet Security installed and that it wasn't compatible with this version of software!! Somewhat strange, as I don't have NIS installed on my computer. I removed it using the NIS removal tool a couple of months back, switching to Kaspersky. Problematic for a while as Windows kept insisting that I didn't have any anti virus or firewall active and it kept trying to force me to turn on Windows Defender, even though Kaskersky was running. Finally solved the issue by rebooting, after which Windows finally picked up on the fact that my anti virus and firewall were being provided by Kaspersky!

Does currently take noticeably longer to log on and get up and running from start up, but perhaps that will iron itself out once everything settles down. Not aware of any other issues and it doesn't appear to have 'screwed' anything else up - at least that I'm aware of.
Regards,
Keith

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The 1607 version shouldn't take longer to start up etc. than the 1507 or 1511 versions - it'll hopefully be OK after another reboot.
Best wishes,
Hans

garbsmj
4StarLounger

Post by garbsmj »

I got the anniersary version and my Internet Explorer keeps carping out - guess it wants me to use Edge. And was hard to find the power button.
When one cat leaves, another mysteriously shows up.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

IE should work just the same in the Anniversary Update - it works without problems for me...
Best wishes,
Hans

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

aekyall wrote:Does currently take noticeably longer to log on and get up and running from start up, but perhaps that will iron itself out once everything settles down. Not aware of any other issues and it doesn't appear to have 'screwed' anything else up - at least that I'm aware of.
If it does not settle down use the Startup tab in Task Manager to see if there is something which should be disabled.
Joe

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

garbsmj wrote:I got the anniersary version and my Internet Explorer keeps carping out - guess it wants me to use Edge. And was hard to find the power button.
Try the usual IE troubleshooting - delete IE cache, try running with add-ons disabled.
Joe

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

JoeP wrote:
aekyall wrote:Does currently take noticeably longer to log on and get up and running from start up, but perhaps that will iron itself out once everything settles down. Not aware of any other issues and it doesn't appear to have 'screwed' anything else up - at least that I'm aware of.
If it does not settle down use the Startup tab in Task Manager to see if there is something which should be disabled.
Thanks Joe. All back to normal and no subsequent issues identified. Did check the Startup tab in TM. Nothing enabled that shouldn't be. :cheers:
Regards,
Keith

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Anniversary update just installed on my "server" PC at home. Everything seems good so far.
StuartR

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

Well now I'm jealous. My desktop updated fine, but an Acer laptop and an Eggsnow Fanless Core i5 Mini PC Desktop Computer failed. The Eggsnow failed quickly after about an hour, but the Acer sat at a black screen with the little whirling dot thing overnight and only stopped when I shut it down, then it did it again.

Both successfully restored the previous versions (eventually). I'll have to kick them about a bit at the weekend.

24hrs Later:

My wife's laptop just went and updated itself (while she was waking it up from sleep), this time successfully. But it destroyed her Windows 7 Freecell program. After a bit of footering I discovered that a re-download of the installer from winaero.com and a re-install straightened that out. Have to try the wee one next.
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube