Anniversary Update installed without problems

HansV
Administrator

Anniversary Update installed without problems

Post by HansV »

I got offered the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 a bit over an hour ago. After the download and preparations, during which I could continue using my PC, the actual installation lasted a bit over half an hour. Everything still works OK, as far as I can tell. The Start menu has changed a bit, but not spectacularly.
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Anniversary Update installed without problems

Post by Rudi »

That's good to know. TX for the feedback. Though I'm still on Win7 (on my work laptop), both my son and wife have new laptops with Win10. I'll be monitoring how the updates go through on their PC's with interest.

I just received a nice comprehensive article from HowTo Geek (about 5 hours ago in my RSS feeds) with a list of all the changes and new features.
Read it all here...
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks for link Rudi.
Now to sit back and wait for the update ... seems that Hans is a 'Gold Card' user :grin:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I simply selected Start > Settings > Update & Security > Check for updates, and then the update started downloading...
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

HansV wrote:I simply selected Start > Settings > Update & Security > Check for updates, and then the update started downloading...
I know this ... but up here in the cold north we are waiting. maybe we have not paid the correct amount of postage :innocent: or they are on a 'go slow'.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The update is rolled out gradually. It would be impossible to update all 300 million + computers with Windows 10 in one go...
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Hehe ... as I said:
... seems that Hans is a 'Gold Card' user!
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Nah - I think it's coincidence...
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

HansV wrote:Nah - I think it's coincidence...
You underestimate your powers Hans :laugh:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

Rebel
4StarLounger
Location: Recently moved to Bracebridge - in the heart of Muskoka.

Post by Rebel »

If you really can't wait Ron, open Settings>Windows Update and under "looking for info on the latest update" click on "Learn More". This will take you to an MS page where you can select "Get the Anniversary Update Now".
John :canada:
A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

For those who can't wait, the Anniversary Update can be downloaded and installed directly from the Microsoft site. It's how I installed it. The whole process took a long time, but I suspect I am having a problem with my PC. I will probably try a full re-install of windows if and when I can find the latest ISO.

Edit: Oops, didn't see Rebel's post above.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Rebel wrote:If you really can't wait Ron ...
Thanks John. Waiting is no problem ... I was just teasing our 'Leader' :grin: Best I keep quiet!
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

maman
NewLounger

Post by maman »

I would check this out before updating: http://www.infoworld.com/article/310438 ... grows.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

The best advice is to regularly make an image backup of your system.

If you are going to force the Anniversary update be sure to do this immediately before you start the process.
Joe

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

That is all I did, was go checked for updates and there it was.
Al went well, took about an hour for the full process.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

By late Wednesday evening, August 3rd, I had not received the automatic update notice so clicked on the "learn more" which led to the MS download site. I checked the time, 10:45 PM, and said what the heck... started the download of the Update Assistant which reported that all was OK and commenced the main download and install. By 11:35PM all was completed successfully. 50 minutes in total, I was impressed. I was tempted to load a few apps to ensure that all was well but this 75+YO body needed some rest. It would have to wait until the morning!

On the morning of the 4th all appeared to be OK. The first app I tried was MS Money that I have been using since it was published but had been decommissioned by MS several years ago. It has/had served me well all these years and ran well in the initial release of Windows 10 last year. If the Anniversary update broke it, I was prepared to revert to Win8.1. No need as it is working like a charm.

Had a couple of minor issues with a few other apps but resetting their options corrected the glitches.

With the success of updating my main PC (Win10 Pro) it was now time to update my HP Stream 7 tablet. Disaster struck!

Although I have been running the initial release of Windows 10 Home on the tablet for the past year, the Anniversary update belched. The Update Assistant said I needed more disk space, it wanted 16GB. There was only 15.4GB available. So after uninstalling some space consuming apps like Snagit, HP Support Assistant, Malwarebytes and Office 365 I had 17.4GB available. Good to go? Nope. The UA said all was OK but the next step would not proceed... error 0x8007??? There was no real indication as to why. And checking the error code on the MS site was of no help. I thought perhaps freeing up more space would help. I noticed that the automatic default for the pagefile.sys was 1.75GB. Reset that to 200MB and still no go. Reset it to 1.024GB and lo and behold we were off to the races. From that starting point it took 1 hour and 50 minutes to complete... with a screen going black for an inordinate amount of time during the install, but I let her be. Albeit that it took less than 2 hours, the total clock time from start to completion, counting the maintenance was close to 6 hours. That did not include reinstalling all the previously deleted apps. But the tablet is now fully functional without any issues.

Then a wee bit of a problem surfaced on my main PC with regards to the backup software - ShadowProtect X. It was scheduled to run the incremental backup at 7:30PM. Within seconds after 7:340PM the notification email reported that the license was not valid for that system and no backup was produced. I contacted StorageCraft support and in less that a day, they deactivated two of my three licenses and I was then able to reactivate one of those licenses on the PC. ShadowProtect X is now working fine. It appears that after the Win 10 Pro Anniversary update the environment changed so that the StorageCraft Activating Servers did not recognize that the system was the same unit.

A long winded report to say, all appears to be working as expected. No issues on either devices at the moment.
Regards,
Bob

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Too bad that you had to spend so much time on the tablet, but good to hear that it worked out in the end.
Best wishes,
Hans

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

Bob, thanks for mentioning that your backup program needed reactivation. I did an image backup using Acronis True Image immediately before starting the upgrade, but I neglected to check whether ATI still ran OK afterward. (I do my daily backups with a script that runs RoboCopy on specific files, and image backups only weekly.) I just checked, and it's still licensed. :thankyou:

Abe Froman
NewLounger

Post by Abe Froman »

Following a successful albeit S-L-O-W download and install of AU on Saturday to a Dell desktop running Windows 10 Pro and on Sunday to a Dell laptop running Windows 10 Home--all appeared OK until I actually attempted to do something. Apparently, AU altered the settings on both machines. EXAMPLE: Placed a blank SONY 4.7GB DVD+R in the CD/DVD drive tray. Windows recognized both the drive and the DVD+R. Right-clicked the drive icon for the drop down menu in order to select "FORMAT" to erase the disc in order to use the disk to create a new System Repair Disk. Format started in the normal manner, i.e. the usual warning followed by a drop down with file system info (UDF 2.01 (Default)) and disk name option. After approximately 10-15 seconds a notice "Windows is unable to complete the format," with OK as the sole option.

Tried the laptop with the identical result. Tried used DVD+R disks and obtained the same result. This never occurred on either machine with either the November build or the original Windows 10.

As usual, an Internet search lead to a variety of suggested "fixes," many dating back to Windows 7.

Is there a simple and foolproof fix which will allow formatting of DVD+R as with the earlier builds of Windows 10?

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

Abe Froman wrote:...is there a simple and foolproof fix which will allow formatting of DVD+R as with the earlier builds of Windows 10?
DVD-R are "use-once" only. They cannot be formatted and reused. You need DVD-RW or DVD+RW
Regards,
Bob