Apps & Features Not Available

RonH
SilverLounger

Apps & Features Not Available

Post by RonH »

Just checking through Settings/System/Apps & Features I came across these as 'not available'. Using the Search Windows facility will not locate these programme files though they still exist. Does this mean what it really states ... you cannot use eg LAME 3.99.3 which associates with Audacity :scratch: or maybe you simply do not now require this or K-Lite etc.
If needed is there a way of making them 'active'.

I haven't had the opportunity to see if they work but some guidance would be appreciated.
Apps Not Available W10.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Apps & Features Not Available

Post by HansV »

The 'Unavailable' under the item name merely means that Windows was not able to determine the name of the publisher/developer of the software, not that the items are unavailable.
Items such as FFmpeg and LAME aren't programs that you run, they are auxiliary files used by media applications.
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

We learn something every day ... even when the ageing grey matter starts to slow down :smile: They are listed in Programmes so hence my confusion.
Thanks Hans ... also for your comment about our 'cat'. One of my lucky shots!
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

garbsmj
4StarLounger

Post by garbsmj »

They took away windows media player and put some stupid hipster Groove app in its place so I had to got to QuickTime to listen to a weekly show. And if Groove is an improvement, a rolling ad for new music is hardly what I had in mind (what, no Mozart?). Will have to play with it some more before I give my final thumbs down but last night I was in a hurry. :mice:
When one cat leaves, another mysteriously shows up.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Windows Media Player is still available in Windows 10! Here is part of the Start > All Apps menu:
S0787.png
And if you want a media player that can handle almost everything, including playing DVDs, try the free VLC Player.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

garbsmj
4StarLounger

Post by garbsmj »

Thanks Hans! I went to make a suggestion and then viewed a few. Some of them are quite entertaining and one in particular (which is too rude to repeat here among gentlemen and ladies) pretty sums up that some people don't know the difference between a complaint and a suggestion.

garbsmj
4StarLounger

Post by garbsmj »

Okay I found it but then when I try to stream online webcasts it sits there and does nothing. So while I can find my music and don't have to stare at Brad Paisley every 45 seconds, it's sadly back to quicktime for me.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

I second Hans' suggestion of VLC Player.

Joe
Joe