Start Menu Problem

ScarJoy
NewLounger

Start Menu Problem

Post by ScarJoy »

I upgraded my laptop from Windows 8 to Windows 10. Everything seemed fine....for awhile. Now, however, whenever I click the Start menu icon in the bottom left corner, I get a message that says (something like...) "Critical Error: restart your computer" and this pop-up error message will not close or go away until I actually DO restart. Consequently, I cannot get to any of the Windows 10 programs. I've tried updating but without seeing any change. I've gone onto the Microsoft website and evidently several other people have had the same problem, but no one has yet published a fix or even a work-around.

Also I download KB3093266, but I get the massage of already update to the lastest version.

Has anyone got a solution? Thanks for any help.

Leif
Administrator

Re: Start Menu Problem

Post by Leif »

Welcome to Eileen's!

For reference, also posted at Windows 10 start menu broken | Windows Secrets Lounge - please let us know if you get a solution there.
Leif

ScarJoy
NewLounger

Post by ScarJoy »

Yes, still wait for the solution...

PrestonK
Lounger

Post by PrestonK »

I had this problem. Someone posted a fix on You Tube. Here's the fix -- Run a dos window while the error message is still up. Do this from the Task Manager.
Run a new process. Make sure to use Administrative privleges. This is SFI /SCANNOW. When this is completed, run CHKDSK. This should fix it.

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Thanks Preston!

For an explanation of what sfc/scannow does, see Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files.

Further info on chkdsk: How to Run CHKDSK in Windows 10 - WindowsInstructed and should (presumably) be run on Drive C:

Edited to add: Moved to the Windows 10 forum which I think is more appropriate.
Leif

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

PrestonK wrote:I had this problem. Someone posted a fix on You Tube. Here's the fix -- Run a dos window while the error message is still up. Do this from the Task Manager.
Run a new process. Make sure to use Administrative privleges. This is SFI /SCANNOW. When this is completed, run CHKDSK. This should fix it.
Check that command, Should be: SFC /SCANNOW, with a space between the C and /.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

PrestonK
Lounger

Post by PrestonK »

I typed too fast! Thank you Bob!

ScarJoy
NewLounger

Post by ScarJoy »

PrestonK wrote:I had this problem. Someone posted a fix on You Tube. Here's the fix -- Run a dos window while the error message is still up. Do this from the Task Manager.
Thanks PrestonK! It sounds so professional, I think it will do remove the problem!

ScarJoy
NewLounger

Post by ScarJoy »

Leif wrote:Thanks Preston!

For an explanation of what sfc/scannow does, see Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files.

Further info on chkdsk: How to Run CHKDSK in Windows 10 - WindowsInstructed and should (presumably) be run on Drive C:

Edited to add: Moved to the Windows 10 forum which I think is more appropriate.
Thank Leif, that's really help. Just felt all these commands are another language for me with Preston's professional solution.