Latest GWX update 2015-10-13

DaveA
GoldLounger

Latest GWX update 2015-10-13

Post by DaveA »

Windows update goes to a install screen to down load and install the new OS.
We have gotten it on all systems that are Windows 10 compliant.

I can see this is going to be a nightmare for a lot of people. The only choice one has it to click "Get Started" or close the update window.

I hope someone will post what happens if they are set up fro auto install?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Latest GWX update 2015-10-13

Post by StuartR »

You also have the option to Show all available updates - which will let you deselect and hide the Windows 10 upgrade.
StuartR

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

StuartR thanks for that reply.
Regards,
hlewton

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Thanks StuartR , but see below

Ok, it turns out to be "NAG" screen. Just click on "Show All updates" and you will be given the list.

BUT, be sure to check the Optional ones, as the Windows 10 download is checked.
Remove the check and hide this update. If it is NOT hidden, then the next time you open Windows Update it will be again check in the Optional listing.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Interestingly, I had done this some weeks ago, but it reappeared again today and I had to go and hide it again.
StuartR

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

StuartR wrote:Interestingly, I had done this some weeks ago, but it reappeared again today and I had to go and hide it again.
I sure do not know much about this at all but I did read somewhere that if you have KB3035583 installed it can cause this. Don't know it that is true and can't find it again to link here but I did read it somewhere. Surprisingly enough that same KB3035583 update presents itself as an update to install over and over again. I uninstalled and hid it about 3 months ago and it has wanted to be installed at least twice since then. It appeared as a single critical update a few days before this month's updates which came out yesterday. Not sure exactly when it appeared but I noticed it a couple days ago and hid it again. I expect it will be back again soon enough.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Apparently, Microsoft releases updated versions of the update, so that even if you hid it before, it's seen as new...
Best wishes,
Hans

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

HansV wrote:Apparently, Microsoft releases updated versions of the update, so that even if you hid it before, it's seen as new...
So all of this uninstalling and hiding is not going to work.
One is going to need to check the "Options" every time one does an update and make sure that the Windows 10 is not going to be installed.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

It sure does appear that way.
Regards,
hlewton

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

This was the first time that updated reappeared on me. I'll report back here if it comes back again.
StuartR

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Is there an update causing the screen shown in the opening post of this thread wanting to update to Win 10 to appear? I am looking for a way to eliminate that screen and its message for a friend of mine. I don't have it happening on my machines yet but I don't know why or how to get rid of it? Is there a way?
Regards,
hlewton

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

This thread seems like an appropriate place to link to this article from Woody:
http://www.infoworld.com/article/299383 ... ?nsdr=true

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

And the follow-up: Microsoft has admitted that enabling the update was a mistake:
As part of our effort to bring Windows 10 to existing genuine Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 customers, the Windows 10 upgrade may appear as an optional update in the Windows Update (WU) control panel. This is an intuitive and trusted place people go to find Recommended and Optional updates to Windows. In the recent Windows update, this option was checked as default; this was a mistake and we are removing the check.
Source: Windows 10 upgrade installing automatically on some Windows 7, 8 systems.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I'm sorry but I am very confused right now. After reading the information in the links I'm not sure if downloading and using the GWX Control Panel is still a valid way of eliminating the Win 10 OS from installing itself. I think it is but not sure. Also following the other link to "Windows 10 upgrade installing automatically on some Windows 7, 8 systems" I do not see any update optional or otherwise to Upgrade to Window 10 when I go to the Windows Update site. So not sure what that means.

Is there really any reason to install KB2952664? This showed up as a Critical Update yesterday. And I found this which at first I thought it was referring to Win 10.
The description of this update is vague: "This update helps Microsoft make improvements to the current operating system in order to ease the upgrade experience to the latest version of Windows."
Not sure if this is the right thread for the above KB but I see it as a bit related and confusing. I decided to hide the updates as suggested way down in the linked article below even though MS has it as a critical update.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 18899f67e4
Regards,
hlewton