Cannot locate file appsfolder.menu.itemdata-ms

E_OGRADY
2StarLounger

Cannot locate file appsfolder.menu.itemdata-ms

Post by E_OGRADY »

I am absolutely confused, installed Windows 10, start menu crashed twice. search of web in many places recommend backing up the file
appsfolder.menu.itemdata-ms
Most sites give this path as
%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\appsfolder.menu.itemdata-ms
My understanding of this is
This PC>Local Disk (C:)>Users>Edward>AppData>Local>Microsoft>Windows
When I get there all I can find is
appsfolder.menu.itemdata-ms.remote
what is the remote suffix?
Capture.PNG
I cannot find any other file of that name, the time and date of the file creation seems to be correct, as that was when I carried out the repair installation of Windows 10. This repair was done by mounting the iso file
How do I backup this file, can I simply copy the file?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: Cannot locate file appsfolder.menu.itemdata-ms

Post by JoeP »

Which build did you install? The July 29 build 10240 or a Windows Insider Preview build?

Did you do an upgrade to install Windows 10?

Joe
Joe

E_OGRADY
2StarLounger

Post by E_OGRADY »

It was a clean install on a HP Pavilion G6-2231tu. 8GB RAM 750GB HDD i5 processor
All that was on the computer was windows 8 and HP distribution software on the problem one ( Anti Virus and a Driver Application)
Both notebooks were exactly the same, one has behaved perfectly the other has had nothing but problems.
Prion to the repair install I removed the Anti Virus and driver Application.
It has behaved perfectly since. Hence the reason I want to backup the Start Menu.
It is the July 29 build 10240.
I downloaded the iso file and burnt it to a DVD, the repair was from a mounted image of the same iso.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I guess that the person who recommended deleting %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\appsfolder.menu.itemdata-ms omitted the file extension since Windows by default hides many file extensions. So they actually meant %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\appsfolder.menu.itemdata-ms.remote.

See if you can move this file out of the %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows folder. If you can, restart Windows and see if the problem disappears.
Best wishes,
Hans

E_OGRADY
2StarLounger

Post by E_OGRADY »

Hi Hans, I wish I had never upgraded to Windows 10, but ! ! !
What has happened is the system is working as it should. What I was trying to do was backup the Start Menu in case of another crash. I believe (and have read) that there are many antis virus programs that are not compatible with Windows 10, I uninstalled the one supplied by HP and up till now no problems, I am now using Microsoft Defender.
if you look at this site link below you will see the file/s I am talking about, they do not have the REMOTE Suffix
http://www.ghacks.net/2014/10/11/how-to ... indows-10/
I have successfully copied the file into another folder, but at this stage will not take the risk of moving it out.
I think I am now too old for this DOS was great, in particular 3.3.
Best regards
Ted
Just had a quick look again at the site above the file size there is 186kb mine is only 118kb don't know whether that is important I have searched most of the day trying to find any suffix *.remote without success

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The difference in size probably isn't relevant - it's just that you have fewer programs installed than the author of the article.
I don't have this file at all, with or without .remote. That might be because I upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 instead of performing a clean install.
(I do have a file appsFolderLayout.bin.migrated but it's only 1 kB in size)
Best wishes,
Hans

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

If you want more confusion I have both files. I've upgraded the PC quite a few times since Oct. 2014. Many Windows Insider releases. Currently running build 10547 Enterprise.

Joe
Joe

E_OGRADY
2StarLounger

Post by E_OGRADY »

Sorry I did not reply last night, my friend has had a very serious operation.
I have today looked at her computer and she does not have either of the files, so more confusion.
JoeP would you be so kind to look at your files and give the properties, i.e. size and date.
My further thought is could the REMOTE suffix be a left over from the last install being from a Mounted drive, just a thought. I have searched the web and cannot find any reference to the suffix.
I have used the system for over 12 hours today, it is currently running Recuva on an external USB drive and no problem.
My thoughts are that Windows 10 will be ready for the market in about 12 months, but at my age I cannot afford the time.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

appsFolder.itemdata-ms 11/13/2014 1:50 pm 156KB
appsFolder.itemdata-ms.remote 9/19/2015 9:03 am 110KB
appsFolderLayout.bin 8/27/2015 6:58 pm 4KB

Joe
Joe

E_OGRADY
2StarLounger

Post by E_OGRADY »

Thanks Joe, I find this interesting.
your appsFolder.itemdata-ms 11/13/2014 1:50 pm 156KB has not changed in almost 12 months, is this file still in use or has it been superseded by the appsFolder.itemdata-ms.remote 9/19/2015 9:03 am 110KB. My understanding is this file is the database for your start menu? Have you changed it in that time by personalisation?
You are the first that I have found that has the REMOTE Suffix to appsFolder.itemdata-ms.remote
My other system is still carrying out the Recuva process thus I cannot comment on the appsFolderLayout.bin 8/27/2015 6:58 pm 4KB. This is only a tiny file.
I do not have a file (that I can find) appsfolderlayout.bin the nearest is in C:\windows.old and this file has a suffix .migrated
I have searched using utilities and explore search, maybe we are in the midst of Microsoft correcting the start menu
Thank you again

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

I'd have to say that yes I've made changes to the start menu since last November.

Joe
Joe

E_OGRADY
2StarLounger

Post by E_OGRADY »

Therein is my confusion, my opinion, THEY have changed the programming and there has not been a cleanup.
I had similar problems with a Credentials setting, crazy, found that that program called :flee: EDGE :flee: had recorded the same information.
The big lesson is to observe the dates of Forum articles, anything more than a few months old is suspect.