Microsoft didn't think this one through

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Microsoft didn't think this one through

Post by Peter Kinross »

We just had a power outage. As it is supposed to, the UPS kicked in. So I then shut down the computer. Well tried to.
Dear old microshaft, do it our way or the highway! There were updates to install. The only option given was to" install updates and close down".
Which is what I selected - well not much choice - in fact no choice. Problem, would the updates install before the UPS ran out of power. If that happened the computer would do what MS says to avoid at all costs - namely shut down the computer before the updates had completed. :aflame:
Fortunately the updates completed before the power ran out. On my second computer the tiny UPS only goes for about 3 minutes - not nearly enough time for this lot! ! !
Come on microshaft, think things through! I used to be able to select when updates were installed - not now.
I was caught about 2 weeks ago in a similar circumstance. Win 10 had frozen, I was late for an appointment and had to get some stuff done before going. No choice, I had to re-start. Same problem, only choice "install updates and restart". So champing at the bit, I had to wait an interminable length of time for this compulsory, impossible to opt out of, install. result - I was very late for my appointment. Can you imagine how happy I was with microshaft? Grrr, Grrr and more Grrr!
Avagr8day, regards, Peter

HansV
Administrator

Re: Microsoft didn't think this one through

Post by HansV »

Perhaps it'd be better for you to go back to Windows 7 or 8.1 for the moment.

It was widely publicized before the official release on the 29th of July that Windows 10 updates would be compulsory. There are signs, however, that Microsoft is relenting and will give users more control over which updates are installed, so perhaps it'll be acceptable in the future.
Best wishes,
Hans

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

I would go back to Win 7, BUT.
I have a 128G SSD and it was getting low on space. With Win 10 installed and the GoBackToWin7 files still on board, I was down to about 8G.
So, after a week or so, when Win 10 had lulled me into a false sense of security with everything appearing to be going great, I removed the GoBackToWin7 files.
Voila, I had 25 G free on my C drive. Ha ha, the little man that hides in my PC had waited patiently for just that time to strike, and strike he did. Darned clever little fellow!
Now, save a clean install of Win 7, I'm stuck. No one to blame but myself, which makes it worse :).
My silliness doesn't excuse MS, they should be ashamed - that 'do it my way or the highway' will never garner friends. But on their plus side, it was a FREE update. So bouquets for that Microsoft.
I would be going totally off the planet if I had paid good $s for this dangerous OS.
Avagr8day, regards, Peter

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Peter Kinross wrote:... Problem, would the updates install before the UPS ran out of power.
I know how you feel. I am still on Win7HP, but I remember about six months ago getting frustrated because I was not able (probably my fault) to shut down this update business when I was on battery power in the public library.
I know that MSoft caters to the 99.999% of the population who are morons, but I still believe, from longer back than Microsoft days, that a user ought to be able to have a stable platform for testing.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

A couple of observations.

I hate to disagree with Hans but I think that unless Microsoft's own telemetry shows there is a widespread problem with automatically installing updates for retail customers that Microsoft has relented as much as they are going to relent. I'm pretty sure that Microsoft's historical observations have been that unless automatic updates are on "normal" users do not update nearly as often as they should. The only updates Microsoft seems to be returning to user control are Windows Store updates. Those automatic updates can be turned off now in any fully updated Windows 10 edition.

@Chris,
IMO, I think Microsoft's view is that if you need to test platform you are not a "normal" user and should be using "professional" type software.

Joe
Joe

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

But, but... even us windows 10 Professional users can't control automatic updates. :hairout: Just sayin'.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

There are some new features since last week's updates.

In Windows 10 Home, you can now control whether apps will be updated automatically, through Store > Settings:
S0622.png
And you can specify whether hardware drivers will be updated automatically by Microsoft, through Control Panel > System:
S0623.png
(It's on or off at the moment)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

@Paul,

I meant using tools such as Windows Software Update Services or Windows System Center.

Joe
Joe

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

That was a tongue-in-cheek rejoinder, Joe. The devil made me do it.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

HansV wrote:There are some new features since last week's updates....
And you can specify whether hardware drivers will be updated automatically by Microsoft, through Control Panel > System:
Thanks Hans,
Hopefully that hardware device option is also in Win10 Pro. Will check shortly.

(Edited to add that the hardware device update option is also in Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview)
Regards,
Bob

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

JoeP wrote:I hate to disagree with Hans ...
Every chance I get (1) :evilgrin:
I think Microsoft's view is that if you need to test platform you are not a "normal" user and should be using "professional" type software.
I agree Absolutely. And not just because your name isn't Hans.

I think that that IS Microsoft's view.

I *am* a professional, well a retired-professional at any rate, which means I have even more spare time to help people who are struggling with Windows.
And if the user's platform isn't stable, it makes my job more difficult.
I am beginning to contemplate a switch to Apple, and if I do move I will miss my ability to customize my system, but that began disappearing when DOS withered.
Probably Apple has automatic updates, but we don't hear about it because by and large Apple auto-updates actually work.
I dread MS making fixes and then having to back them out a few weeks later, then ...

(1)About twice in ten years, I think :laugh:

ringel05
NewLounger

Post by ringel05 »

The lose of update control, the fact that the standby Windows games were no longer available and the fact that Edge, Cortana and Cloud are built into the OS and can't be uninstalled made me revert back to Win 7. Then I found a way to install the old Windows Games and stop much of M$s snooping so I re-upgraded. Now we'll see if they give back full update control, if not that will be the tipping point for me and I'll go pure Linux though I will save one Win 7 desktop for PC games and disconnect it from the internet when it's no longer supported.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

@Chris,

I would submit that we don't hear about Apple update problems because this is a Windows community and by and large we don't pay attention to Apple. If you want a truer picture search for some Apple support forums and see what is going on there.

IMO, Windows 10 will lead to a more stable Windows platform as Microsoft is able to support fewer OS versions.

Joe
Joe

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

JoeP wrote:I would submit that we don't hear about Apple update problems because this is a Windows community ...
Excellent point, Joe. It's just that "there was more light under this lamp-post" :laugh:
Still and all I read (in the local paper) more whinges about MSoft/Windows, but there again, perhaps that just reflects the fact that the vast majority of Business Users are running Windows ...
If I had half a brain I'd walk in air-conditioned comfort to the Apple store about five minutes from here and spend an hour or two "playing around" and see just how difficult it would be to browse the internet on an Apple ...