Remove previous Windows version

HansV
Administrator

Remove previous Windows version

Post by HansV »

When you upgrade from Windows 7/8 to Windows 10, the Windows folder of the previous version is renamed to Windows.old. This makes it possible to revert to the previous version during the first month after upgrading; presumably the Windows.old folder will automatically be removed after one month. The installation files also remain on your disk, plus some components you will never need, such as a Retail Demo intended for retailers only.

If you're absolutely sure that you won't go back to Windows 7/8, you can remove these components from your hard disk; it will free up many gigabytes. Do not do this if you're experiencing problems with Windows 10.
  • Click the Start button or the Search button on the taskbar.
  • Type disk cleanup.
  • Right-click Disk Cleanup in the search results and select Run as Administrator from the context menu.
  • If you get a User Account Control dialog, confirm that you want to allow this.
  • Select the drive, then click OK.
  • Tick the check boxes for
    • Windows upgrade log files
    • Retail Demo Offline Content
    • Previous Windows installation(s)
    • Plus anything else you'd like to clean
  • Click OK.
After this, there will still be a folder named $Windows.~BT. You can delete this folder manually (you may have to use admin rights for this).

Once again: do not do this if you might want to revert to Windows 7/8, or if you experience problems with Windows 10!
Best wishes,
Hans

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: Remove previous Windows version

Post by JoeP »

If you are a Windows Insider running TP builds the windows.old folder allows you to revert to the last Win10 build too. It is always a good idea to make sure your system is running well before burning bridges.

Joe
Joe

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

JoeP wrote: It is always a good idea to make sure your system is running well before burning bridges.
Absolutely agree!
Best wishes,
Hans

Rebel
4StarLounger
Location: Recently moved to Bracebridge - in the heart of Muskoka.

Post by Rebel »

I performed this cleanup a few days ago. I'm quite impressed and satisfied with Windows 10 (after a few tweaks of course) and I have no intention of reverting to Windows 7. I couldn't find the "Retail demo offline content however. Does this get installed with every version of the upgrade?
John :canada:
A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Rebel wrote:Does this get installed with every version of the upgrade?
As far as I know, yes, but I cannot be certain of course.
Best wishes,
Hans

Rebel
4StarLounger
Location: Recently moved to Bracebridge - in the heart of Muskoka.

Post by Rebel »

Thank you Hans. I'll have another look.
John :canada:
A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

My HP Stream 7 tablet has a 32gb eMMC and came with Win8.1. Before upgrading to Win10, I had created a recovery system on a USB drive. And before the upgrade, I had about 15gb of space available. After the upgrade available space was reduced to 2.5gb. Knowing that I had the recovery drive, I did delete the Windows.old in the prescribed manner in Disk Cleanup and manually deleted the $windows~BT folder. That was over a week ago and all is well.

2.5gb of device resources would have been nice back in the 80’s when my first hard drive was a Trustor 10 (10MB) costing Cdn$1,600, before taxes! :laugh:
Regards,
Bob