Windows 10 Upgrade Experiences

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Windows 10 Upgrade Experiences

Post by Rudi »

...the saga continues on "The Days of our Lives"...
(It's turning out to be a real life soap opera, eh!)

I wish you good fortune and prosperity in the days ahead!
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

. . . more Windows 10 induced blood and gore . . .

Now I'm stuck. I cannot boot Win 10 any longer because I tried - unsuccessfully - to use the function that allows one to revert to his prior os during the first month. I only attempted to install Win 10 on my desktop system Saturday last; so I did not exceed the touted 30-day period.

Neither can I boot Windows 7 although it continues to reside in a partition on my system drive. At least it did the last time I could run File Explorer. Now I can run nothing.

After abandoning the revert-to-prior-os process, I attempted one more time to boot Win 10 only to get into a loop after POST wherein I'm asked whether I want to start normally or in a special mode. Neither option does anything but return to the same screen option.

The next step I tried was to install Win 7 from DVD. This failed because I reached a step where I was asked to remove the DVD and restart Windows then insert the DVD and resume the process. By inference, I think this was the step wherein Microsoft verifies that the upgrade to Win 7 is preceded by a valid os license. Because I cannot boot anything due to the way Win 10 hosed my system, I cannot restart in Windows as instructed.

My next attempt was to go all the way back to my Win XP DVD and do an installation. This, too, failed because Win 10 apparently affected my keyboard and mouse drivers. I could never get Win XP installation to accept the F8 key press required to confirm acceptance of the license agreement terms.

None of my system restore CDs and thumb drives will work.

I'm at a loss to know what to try next. I'm considering downloading a copy of a Linux system to this laptop to create an ISO that I can install on the desktop. That will entail research and a decision about which Linux distro to use which I'm ill-prepared to do. Also, such a drastic step takes me away from support groups - like the great folks here at Eileen's Lounge - and puts me into a group where I'd be asking for help from people far better educated, trained and experienced with the technology than I am. This would be a last and final resort because I refuse to purchase a copy of Windows again to overcome a problem created by a Microsoft upgrade.

I would be very grateful for suggestions and comments. I'm afraid I have come far to close to the trees to see the forest and need help shaking free from mindset restrictions.

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:

BTW: I keep posting here in hope that my experiences might warn others of the potential for problems and - with good luck and a little help from my friends - learn (eventually) how I overcame my set of limitations.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Bob,
I haven't re-read all of the posts here but have you tried booting to your Win 7 DVD and when Windows starts, there is a link down in the lower left side that says 'Repair my Computer." let it run and try to identify any Windows systems on your machine. Hopefully, you can select Windows 7 and another screen will come up with various options. Select Repair boot up ( or something similar )
If it can, it will come with some repairs that it found and asks if you want to perform them, Select OK.
I've had this work a few times on my machine after I had gotten a little rambunctious. Worth a try!
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Subject: Windows 10 Upgrade Experiences
BobH wrote:I keep posting here in hope that my experiences might warn others of the potential for problems and - with good luck and a little help from my friends - learn (eventually) how I overcame my set of limitations.
For once in my miserable life I feel I speak for all Loungers when I say I appreciate the time and effort you are spending on this.
I feel as if YOU are the penguin who elected to get pushed off the ice-floe to test the waters for sharks and other predators.

Let's see if I can't bring a smile to your face, if only for a few seconds:-

"Be thankful that Win7/Win10 isn't reporting everything mystically in Forced Upper-case!"
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

LOL

Thank you, Chris. I like the penguin analogy! :rofl:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

garbsmj
4StarLounger

Post by garbsmj »

I canna download Windows 10 until I get the "ok" from work. But it's nice that you guys are relating your experiences so I know what to expect. Perhaps I'll download it on July 27, 2016, eh? My daughter downloaded it and lost all her Steam games but had no other issues on her home-built p.c. and Steam has updated itself to handle Win10. FYI.
When one cat leaves, another mysteriously shows up.