Mandatory updates and Imaging software

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Mandatory updates and Imaging software

Post by BobArch2 »

I have been running the beta version of Win10 but did not want to install some of my application software due to licensing requirements. One of those apps being my backup software - ShadowProtect. As of this writing I have not updated my Win81 environment to Win10. One of the major reason being that I wanted to ensure that SP would work without any issues.

I came across an article a few days ago where a SP user tested the current version of SP in his Win 10 environment and every feature, backup, restore, verify examine, etc., worked fine. Then while trying another backup it coincided with a mandatory update and he got a BSOD. There appears to be an issue with mandatory updates and imaging software.

At this stage I have not experienced that issue in my environment and am not to keen on upgrading until I hear more positive results. Storage Craft indicated about a week ago that it is their policy to release a compliant version of ShadowProtect within 90 days of a new operating system.

Not sure about other systems like Acronis True Image. But, be aware of the timing of backups and mandatory O/S update conflicts.

If there was a true way to turn off mandatory updates, or at least delay the process, then the issue would not be there.

YMMV
Regards,
Bob

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: Mandatory updates and Imaging software

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobArch2 wrote:If there was a true way to turn off mandatory updates, or at least delay the process, then the issue would not be there.
I have no experience with Win10, but am scanning the threads.
Out of interest, if one disconnected the internet (cable or WiFi) prior to the backup, would this inhibit the mandatory updates
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

BobArch2 wrote:If there was a true way to turn off mandatory updates, or at least delay the process, then the issue would not be there.
Bob, it's my understanding that mandatory updates apply only to the Home Edition of Windows 10. Presumably the Pro Edition gives you the options currently available with Win 8, avoiding the issues you raise. Is this assumption correct?
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

According to Compare Windows 10 Editions, the Pro version includes "Windows Update for Business" whatever that means.
StuartR

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
I have no experience with Win10, but am scanning the threads.
Out of interest, if one disconnected the internet (cable or WiFi) prior to the backup, would this inhibit the mandatory updates
I would bet the first-born that disconnecting from the Internet would remove the issue of mandatory updates, but does not help when backups are in a scheduled mode.

I have noticed when testing the Win10 Insider Program that after installing updates, I was given an option to accept the default restart of 3:30AM or restart now. This is with the Win 10 Pro version. I had always used the restart now option since there was no guarantee that my system would still be in Win10 mode and powered up at 3:30AM. In a previous message I indicated that I had not tested out SP in Win10 due to licensing requirements. I thought I had 2 licenses... mine and the spouse's. Just moments ago I checked my archives and found that I have 3 licenses and only 2 are activated. Meaning I will give it go. Now, having said that I just found recent postings in the SP forum that there are some issues with activation of SP in Win10.

Stay tuned...
Regards,
Bob

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

PaulB wrote:
Bob, it's my understanding that mandatory updates apply only to the Home Edition of Windows 10. Presumably the Pro Edition gives you the options currently available with Win 8, avoiding the issues you raise. Is this assumption correct?
Paul, I had also read that it is the Home edition that imposes mandatory updates and restarts. The thinking was that the Pro version allowed some leeway but I am not 100% positive. I am still trying to research this aspect. If mandatory updates and restarts do have some leeway in the Pro edition then that is good news. I'll keep searching.

Now, having said that, I just shared some information with ChrisG regarding my observation on optional restart conditions.
Regards,
Bob

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Here's a blog post - Announcing Windows Update for Business. It has more information about WUB but I'm afraid not all details are known yet. I've seen speculation that you have to be domain joined to participate in WUB rather than just have a Pro or Enterprise SKU.

Joe
Joe