Windows 10 Keyboard & Language

RonH
SilverLounger

Windows 10 Keyboard & Language

Post by RonH »

My W7 is set up with English language but with a Norwegian Keyboard layout.
Anyone know if this will be retained 'as is' when I update to W10? Or, if not, how I solve.
Fun times :thumbup:
CYa Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: Windows 10 Keyboard & Language

Post by viking33 »

RonH wrote:My W7 is set up with English language but with a Norwegian Keyboard layout.
Anyone know if this will be retained 'as is' when I update to W10? Or, if not, how I solve.
Fun times :thumbup:
CYa Ron
I THINK this is OK, if you believe the support boasts of any Win 7 functionality will be carried over to Win10.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

'Progress' may mean this can no longer be done but this sort of functionality goes waaaay back. I've got an ancient laptop with a Swiss keyboard that runs Win98 in UK English. It still works even now. Yeah, go on, laugh but it is useful as the only flat bed scanner I have is of a similar vintage and not even compatible with XP let alone Win 7.

Ken

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thank you gentlemen for your confidence. Hey, worst case is that folk will need to interpret my messages :grin:
CYa Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

RonH wrote:Thank you gentlemen for your confidence. Hey, worst case is that folk will need to interpret my messages :grin:
CYa Ron
That will never do, Ron! :sad: :laugh:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Good morning and apologies for labouring this 'language' thread.

I read elsewhere:
Can I choose a different language during the upgrade?
Cross language upgrades are not supported, the free upgrade will be installed in your local language.
Pay $99 to get the pack ... maybe this only refers to language/keyboards and not screen but I am really not sure :scratch:

I am trying to get a straight answer from another forum but am getting even more confused. But I am sure that Eileen will sort me out :fanfare: simple yes or no's would be appreciated. My pc, purchased in Norway was set up with on-screen English language W7 software but with Norwegian keyboard. The screen language for files, programmes etc was of course selected by me at initial boot and cannot be changed.

Questions:
After I install W10 will I get on-screen language software for files, help etc in English or will it be forced to Norwegian
Will the current Norwegian keyboard layout be retained ... I think this will be a definite 'yes'.
Will there still be word check/dictionary etc in English
Anything I have missed?

On many occasions I find that software I install is in the Norwegian language due to location but mostly it can be forced into English.
I always get confused over the term 'language' as used in Windows so please be gentle with me.
CYa Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Don't worry - it is easy to change the interface language and to add language packs in Windows 8 and later (including Windows 10). See for example Language - Add, Remove, and Change in Windows 10.
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks Hans ... must be new to Windows 8+ since I recall in Vista/W7 it was only what you first chose upon boot. But does this still mean that the US$99 will apply to get English?
CYa Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'm not sure how it will work in Windows 10.

In Windows 8.1, it depends on the combination of (1) Windows Edition (Home, Enterprise, etc.), (2) installed language and (3) desired language whether the language pack is free. When I bought my current PC in August of 2014, it came with the Dutch version of Windows 8.1 Home Premium installed. I was able to download the English language pack for free.
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Hei Hans,

Did a bit more research and came across this:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/sear ... dows_10//1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I reckon that it will be necessary to 'cop the fee' for additional languages if one is using (say) Windows 7 Home Premium. I bet that 000's of folk like me will be a bit xissed off if I am correct! I await the verdict which hopefully will come out of Microsoft's own staff.
CYa
Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

OK, it looks like it won't be free after all...
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

I'm gonna tread a lot of water before I 'jump' :grin:

I do think that Microsoft should come clean about this by highlighting this restriction for the many 000's of folk who live in foreign lands using locally purchased pc's. And lets not forget that it is Microsoft's wish that current Windows users migrate to 10 and do not jump elsewhere.

CYa Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Hei Hans,

I have been s l o w l y re-reading the FAQ and maybe my interpretation was incorrect. Gonna try to get it checked ...

Can I choose a different language during the upgrade?
(Extract) Cross language upgrades are not supported, the free upgrade will be installed in your local language ...
... For example, if the default language your copy of Windows 7 Ultimate was installed in is French ...

Thought of today.
If the meaning of default language is the language selected at first boot (which seems logical) then just maybe English will be retained for me in Windows 10. What I am now 'reading' is that the initial boot up language is the one that will be retained and that this would be the 'local language' as defined, not the actual 'local region spoken language' ... if you get my meaning.

CYa Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'm not sure about that - we'll have to see.
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Just got this reply from Microsoft Customer Service ...

Since you booted your Windows 7 to English language, you need not to worry about the language since it will always be based on the language set when you first used the computer.

I guess that they know ... but I will still tread water for many weeks just to be sure :grin:

Onto more important things ... the penultimate T de F and their :chocciebar:
CYa Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks for the update!
Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I have just installed Windows 10 as an upgrade to Windows 8.1.

When I bought my current PC, it came with the Dutch version of Windows 8.1. I installed English as interface language.

Windows 10 initially installed in Dutch, either because it detected my location or because it was the original installation language.
But immediately after setup (which took about an hour from starting the download until I could use the computer again), I got a choice between Dutch and English, so the switch was painless.
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks Hans ... I appreciate you posting.
When you first booted as W8.1 I guess that you set up in Dutch and then changed it to English. This is slightly different to what I did with my W7 where at first boot I chose English with Norwegian language keyboard.

Its going to be interesting during the following weeks reading the various posts about W10 user experiences. You are so brave to take it on, day 1 :grin:
CYa Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I did make a backup before taking the jump, of course. Moreover, if you install Windows 10 as an upgrade, as I did, you can roll back to the previous Windows version during the first month if you experience problems or don't like it.

My first impressions are positive - all my programs still work, all settings have been kept, etc. The interface will be familiar to Windows 7 and 8 users.
Best wishes,
Hans