Windows 10 Technical Preview

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Windows 10 Technical Preview

Post by BobArch2 »

So, has anyone jumped on the band wagon and signed up for W10TP? :flee:

I have decided that I have too much spare time on my hands and decided to give it a whirl. I have signed on and have downloaded the iso file. But first I need to learn about setting up a virtual machine.

In a recent Windows Secrets newsletter, Fred Langa wrote up an extensive article on the process of setting up a VM and installing W10TP.

So, time to do more research on setting up a VM along with any problems installing application software in that environment.

I would be interested in hearing about any issues in setting up W10TP and a VM.
Regards,
Bob

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Re: Windows 10 Technical Preview

Post by PaulB »

I have no experience with VM, and am reluctant to experiment with two new environments at once. (Think 'who to blame if something goes wrong'.)

On the other hand, I have always installed every new release of Windows in a dual boot environment, so I could experiment with it in the real world without the overhead of operating under VM. I could always fall back to my 'production' environment if and when needed. This is how I'm testing Win 10.

Not trying to dissuade you, just throwing in my :2cents: .
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

PaulB wrote:I have no experience with VM, and am reluctant to experiment with two new environments at once. (Think 'who to blame if something goes wrong'.)

On the other hand, I have always installed every new release of Windows in a dual boot environment, so I could experiment with it in the real world without the overhead of operating under VM. I could always fall back to my 'production' environment if and when needed. This is how I'm testing Win 10.

Not trying to dissuade you, just throwing in my :2cents: .
Thanks for your :2cents: Paul. I have to admit that I had not thought of setting up a dual boot environment and you have given me good food-for-thought.

My system drive is a Samsung 840 - 250GB SSD... reserved for the Win 8.1 OS and software apps only. I have plenty of internal HDD space and was going to allocate one of the partitions (500GB) to the VM. Do you set up the second OS on your system drive or a separate drive?
Regards,
Bob

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Hi Bob,

I have no expertise in this field and do not have the time and resources to experiment with the VM and Win10TP, so I am sad to say that I will not be able to contribute with advice, but I do however want to ask you (depending on your success and progress through this 'journey' you plan to undertake) that you keep us informed of your discoveries and opinions, if you don't mind, that it. It would be great to get first hand insider info on your proceedings. Many TX :)
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

I have a similar setup to yours, Bob, with an 840 Pro SSD as the system C: drive and a 1 TB HDD data drive. While I have 75% free space on the SSD, I'm using a pre-existing free partition (128 GB) on the HDD for the Win 10 system.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

PaulB wrote:I have a similar setup to yours, Bob, with an 840 Pro SSD as the system C: drive and a 1 TB HDD data drive. While I have 75% free space on the SSD, I'm using a pre-existing free partition (128 GB) on the HDD for the Win 10 system.
I have participated in the Beta program for Windows Vista, Win 7 & Win8. I have always Triple Booted and that was always the easiest way to back off with latest Beta. When done with it or there are major problems, you can just dump the Beta with no ill effects on the other OSs. I use a separate partition with a couple of gigs for this. Works great.
It was especially convenient when I could not wait to get rid of Win8. I'm not yet convinced to go ahead with Win10? Maybe, :scratch:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

The Win10 technical preview is not even beta stage software. It is NOT feature complete. Features will be added and some may be dropped or changed significantly. It has rough edges. It is aimed primarily at the more traditional desktop corporate users. The touch features may not work well. The version aimed at consumers will be released most likely early 2015.

There is supposed to be a substantial update released soon (in the next couple weeks?). Unless you are very adventurous do not use it as your primary OS.

NOTE: the technical preview has logging and diagnostic tooling enabled to track just about everything done on the PC.

Joe
Joe

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

JoeP wrote:The Win10 technical preview is not even beta stage software. It is NOT feature complete. Features will be added and some may be dropped or changed significantly. It has rough edges. It is aimed primarily at the more traditional desktop corporate users.

Joe
I understand all that, Joe. I was only trying to point out the method I used when Beta testing new OSs. Using a separate partition is the cleanest way I've found.
BOB

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

My comments were intended to be general ones about Win10 at this point in time. Not directed towards anyone in particular.

Joe
Joe

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

JoeP wrote:My comments were intended to be general ones about Win10 at this point in time. Not directed towards anyone in particular.

Joe
OK, Joe. Apologies offered. :cheers:
BOB

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

No need to apologize. It is all good. :cheers:

Joe
Joe

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

Time to provide some feedback. Regardless of PaulB's wise comments about using a dual boot environment, I decided to give VirtualBox a spin. After working with it for several days, I decided to abandon the approach.

The positive note was that it was easy to switch between host (Win8.1) and guest (Win10TP), and not having to reboot. The negatives however were too much for me. Things like a spastic mouse that was difficult to control, a video screen that was suitable for a CRT environment but could not take advantage of my two wide screen LCDs. Just two particular irritating items. I did install build 9841, Window updates and then build 9860 followed by its updates. I could not figure out how to copy files from the host to the guest to test things like music, hardware setups etc. I then decided to get rid of the VM and elected to follow Paul's approach.

I allocate a 500gb clean partition for dual booting and undertook the steps to get it operational. After installing the build 9841, updates, build 9860 and its update I was surprised that all my hardware was recognized and I spent a few hours mucking about. Very pleased with the results.

Then the proverbial S... hit the fan. I did a reboot and the dual boot option menu did not show up. It went directly to Win10TP. I shut down, started up and went into the BIOS to ensure that the boot sequence was OK. It was. Tried several approaches, unsuccessfully.

Luckily, I had performed a ShadowProtect backup of my system drive before setting up the dual boot environment. I did a restore, including the MBR and I am back up an running with my Win8.1 environment. Will have to check into that DB situation a bit more before trying again.
Regards,
Bob

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

A really good bootloader management tool is Easy BCD by Neosmart.
https://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Simple to use and setup.
BCD.JPG
BOB

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

That is a real bummer BobA! With the entire setup running well and then having to discover that the boot sequence is malfunctioning... :groan: All that effort and the dual boot bombs out... On the bright side, you have certainly gained some experience and I'm sure it will come in handy with actions or choices further down the line...

Many TX for the update.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

viking33 wrote:A really good bootloader management tool is Easy BCD by Neosmart.
https://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Simple to use and setup.
Many thanks for the lead. I have downloaded and installed it on the "host" system drive. Time now to read the documentation and learn how to add the Win10TP environment to the boot manager.

Seems simple and easy, but just want to be careful... no need to cripple the environment!
Regards,
Bob

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

Rudi wrote:That is a real bummer BobA! With the entire setup running well and then having to discover that the boot sequence is malfunctioning... :groan: All that effort and the dual boot bombs out... On the bright side, you have certainly gained some experience and I'm sure it will come in handy with actions or choices further down the line...

Many TX for the update.
Thanks for the encouraging words. Stay tuned for the next episode in the continuing saga of BobA learning to DB! :smile:
Regards,
Bob

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Sorry to hear of your problems, Bob. I'm a little late responding as I just had my Internet (and phone) service restored last night after a 5 day outage.

I'm perplexed by your issues. It sounds like you did everything right. Maybe Viking Bob's suggestions will help. Personally, I used only native MS tools (Disk Management, MSCONFIG for boot loader management etc.) to set up the dual boot environment. The only thought I had (based on your description) is that the timeout value is so low that you may not have seen the selection menu. Bit of a stretch, I know.

How does one get Build 9860? Through Windows Update? Or is it downloaded separately?
Regards,
Paul

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

PaulB wrote:Sorry to hear of your problems, Bob. I'm a little late responding as I just had my Internet (and phone) service restored last night after a 5 day outage.
Now, that would give one a great deal of concern! As a retiree, I would have to find other things to keep me busy, like preparing the garden for winter... NOT! :smile:
I'm perplexed by your issues. It sounds like you did everything right. Maybe Viking Bob's suggestions will help.
I sure hope so as I really want to toy with Win10TP.
Personally, I used only native MS tools (Disk Management, MSCONFIG for boot loader management etc.) to set up the dual boot environment. The only thought I had (based on your description) is that the timeout value is so low that you may not have seen the selection menu. Bit of a stretch, I know.
During the various restarts associated with the installing of the builds and updates, I was never once given the DB menu option. And, I watched closely. It is my understanding that the default is something like 3 seconds and I kept my hand on the mouse waiting for the pop-up.
How does one get Build 9860? Through Windows Update? Or is it downloaded separately?
Two ways... Keep your Win10TP environment turned on during the appropriate update time. Or, force an update. The update is NOT available through the normal Windows Update process. Call up PC Settings, go into Update and Recovery and you will see the item for getting the new build. Be prepared for a long download time as it is a complete new file over 2GB in size. Takes as long as the original 9841 download. And, it is not available as a separate ISO download. In my case, it took about 1.25 hours to download and install. And, I have a 50Mbps DL line.
Regards,
Bob

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

PaulB wrote:... Personally, I used only native MS tools (Disk Management, MSCONFIG for boot loader management etc.) to set up the dual boot environment.
OK, I got curious and decided to check out the MSCONFIG environment. I was wrong about the "3 second" comment in the previous message. It is set for 30 seconds. What I could not see was the facility to introduce a dual boot environment. Care to share some insight? Here are the first two panels of my MSCONFIG.
BA_Gen.gif
BA_Boot.gif
What I noticed as interesting is that the boot loader refers to the environment as Windows Vista. Vista has never been on this system. My current environment was a fresh install of Windows 8.0 followed by the update to 8.1, on a brand spanking new SSD.

Over to you for any insight you may have...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Bob

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Howdy, BobArch2!

With no intent of side tracking this thread, I am curious to know how much of the SSD is taken up by Win8. I'm still running Win 7 HPE but will upgrade at some future date; however, I am considering paying out for an SSD. The 120 GB sizes seem to be reasonably priced, but I don't know if they are large enough for a Windows install and programs library.

Any insight?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs