Photo Editing App For iPhone

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Photo Editing App For iPhone

Post by hlewton »

I have an iPhone and the capability to print 4 x 6 photos directly to one of my printers but it seems that some of the photos need editing or cropping before being sent to that printer or heads are cropped off. Does anyone know of a good photo app for cropping. When I search the app store for photo editors so many choices pop up and I don't know which one to choose.

Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: Photo Editing App For iPhone

Post by BobH »

Try Aviary.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

BobH wrote:Try Aviary.
Thank you. I think I got the right one (had to find it from a search on iPhone) and tried it. It didn't say Aviary but it took me to a photo editor and it appears to do when I need.
Regards,
hlewton

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

hlewton wrote:...to print 4 x 6 photos ... but it seems that some of the photos need editing or cropping before being sent to that printer or heads are cropped off...
The reason why this happens to your pictures is because the default aspect ratio in an iPhone camera is 4:3, i.e. its pictures are kind of square shaped, whereas the prints you are making are in the more rectangular aspect ratio of 6:4 (aka 3:2)

This means that when the shortest side of the iPhone image is scaled to the shortest side of the paper then the longest side of the iPhone image exceeds the length of the paper, hence heads are cropped off.

I don't have an iPhone but Google found me this link:
https://www.online-tech-tips.com/smartp ... 69-iphone/
At very bottom implies you can set the iPhone camera to always use an aspect ration of 3:2, i.e if you use that you shouldn't have to crop your pictures.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Off with their heads! :evilgrin:
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

stuck wrote:
hlewton wrote:...to print 4 x 6 photos ... but it seems that some of the photos need editing or cropping before being sent to that printer or heads are cropped off...
The reason why this happens to your pictures is because the default aspect ratio in an iPhone camera is 4:3, i.e. its pictures are kind of square shaped, whereas the prints you are making are in the more rectangular aspect ratio of 6:4 (aka 3:2)

This means that when the shortest side of the iPhone image is scaled to the shortest side of the paper then the longest side of the iPhone image exceeds the length of the paper, hence heads are cropped off.

I don't have an iPhone but Google found me this link:
https://www.online-tech-tips.com/smartp ... 69-iphone/
At very bottom implies you can set the iPhone camera to always use an aspect ration of 3:2, i.e if you use that you shouldn't have to crop your pictures.

Ken
Thank you for that link. He was using the same phone I have. Yesterday I had found that editing tool he mentions in the article but was a little confused when trying to use it. Won't go into all those details but he cleared up a lot of it for me. The only thing I came away from that article still a little confused is he was talking about the 16:9 aspect. From what I read in your explanation I'd still have to change the aspect ratio to 3:2 to print 6 x 4 photos. So no matter how I would take the photos they need to be edited before printing them to 6 x 4 photo paper. I'm not certain but I think that is correct.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:Off with their heads! :evilgrin:
Now that's funny, I don't care who you are, as Larry The Cable Guy would say. :laugh:
Regards,
hlewton

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

hlewton wrote:...he was talking about the 16:9 aspect...
Yes because, in their wisdom, Apple gave the screen on the iPhone an aspect ratio of 16:9 BUT the sensor on the camera that they built into the iPhone has an aspect ratio of 4:3. No I don't know why they did that but it means that when you want to look at the photos taken by an iPhone on an iPhone the photos are not going to fit the screen...

If you scale the long edge of the photo (the '4' side) to fit the long edge of the screen (the '16' side) that's a factor of 4 but to avoid distorting the picture you also have to scale the short edge by the same factor and 3 x 4 is 12, which is greater than 9, meaning some of the picture would be off the edge of the screen.

On the other hand, if you scale the short edge of the photo (the '3' side) to fit the short edge of the screen (the '9' side) that's a factor of 3. Applying that factor to the long edge makes it 4 x 3 = 12, which is less than 16, meaning it doesn't fully fill the screen. This second option is the way an iPhone displays its 4:3 photos on its 16:9 screen and is why there are black bars down either side of the photo.
hlewton wrote:...I'd still have to change the aspect ratio to 3:2 to print 6 x 4 photos. So no matter how I would take the photos they need to be edited before printing them to 6 x 4 photo paper. I'm not certain but I think that is correct.
Yes, you are correct. The principles of how to crop as shown in the article are directly applicable to you, except you need to pick 3:2, not 16:9.

HOWEVER! I suspect it will be a bit of a drag to have to crop, on the iPhone, every photo you want to print so...

You started this thread by saying:
hlewton wrote:...the capability to print 4 x 6 photos directly to one of my printers..
but how exactly are you doing that? Are you using some sort of software on the phone that lets you select the photos you want and then sends the images to the printer? Or do you control the printing driectly from the printer?

Either way, see if you can find an option before you click the final print button that allows you to change the size of the image from something like 'full size' or '100%' to something like 'best fit' or 'scale to fit page'. If such an option exists then your 4:3 images will be scaled such that the short edge (the '3' side) is scaled to short (4" side) of the paper, i.e. a factor of 1.333 and the long edge (the '4' side) will be scaled to 4 x 1.333 = 5.333", which is less than the (6") length of the paper. OK, so the image won't fill the sheet of paper but you will get the complete picture and you won't have the hassle of cropping every image.

Ken

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

stuck wrote:
hlewton wrote:...he was talking about the 16:9 aspect...
Yes because, in their wisdom, Apple gave the screen on the iPhone an aspect ratio of 16:9 BUT the sensor on the camera that they built into the iPhone has an aspect ratio of 4:3. No I don't know why they did that but it means that when you want to look at the photos taken by an iPhone on an iPhone the photos are not going to fit the screen...
Several phones can change aspect ratio in camera settings. Not possible on an iphone?
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The camera app on my Android phone gives me the choice between aspect ratios 16:9 and 4:3, each in 3 different resolutions, but apparently iPhone doesn't: see How to View & Take Photos in Widescreen (16:9) on iPhone (the title is slightly misleading).
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Yes, same here.
I noticed that after my post (first link I clicked on in my search :smile:), thanks.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

stuck wrote: You started this thread by saying:
hlewton wrote:...the capability to print 4 x 6 photos directly to one of my printers..
but how exactly are you doing that? Are you using some sort of software on the phone that lets you select the photos you want and then sends the images to the printer? Or do you control the printing driectly from the printer?

Either way, see if you can find an option before you click the final print button that allows you to change the size of the image from something like 'full size' or '100%' to something like 'best fit' or 'scale to fit page'. If such an option exists then your 4:3 images will be scaled such that the short edge (the '3' side) is scaled to short (4" side) of the paper, i.e. a factor of 1.333 and the long edge (the '4' side) will be scaled to 4 x 1.333 = 5.333", which is less than the (6") length of the paper. OK, so the image won't fill the sheet of paper but you will get the complete picture and you won't have the hassle of cropping every image.

Ken
Well I have since been experimenting with this printing photos from my iPhone to my printer and also uploading them to a printing service such as Amazon Photos.

On my iPhone I download an App and its name is rather generic since there are others with the same name, it appears. In any case it is called Photo Editor and I can crop the photos directly to a 6 x 4 photo and send it to my printer. Or I found, after reading your link above, I can use the software built into the iPhone and change the aspect to either 2 x 3 or 3 x 2 depending on the orientation of the original photo or how I may choose to rotate it. Then it to can be sent directly to my printer and the printing App on my iPhone, which is Brother because my printer is a Brother, tells it to print to the 6 x 4 photo paper in the MP tray. Or the third option I have is to load the photos, after they are edited, to my computer and then send them to the same Brother printer but that is only useful if I would have a lot of photos to print. If that were the case I have sent them to a local store for 1 hour printing and that too works well.

In addition, after uploading photos to a place like Amazon Photos I learned they can be edited there to make sure the subject of the photos is actually what is printed out.
Regards,
hlewton

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

hlewton wrote:...sent directly to my printer and the printing App on my iPhone, which is Brother because my printer is a Brother, tells it to print to the 6 x 4 photo paper in the MP tray...
You're sure there's nothing in the Brother printing app about making the image 'fit the page' or somthing like that? If such an option exists it is likely to in the same dialog box that tells you it's going to use 6x4 paper in the MP tray.

Ken

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

stuck wrote:
hlewton wrote:...sent directly to my printer and the printing App on my iPhone, which is Brother because my printer is a Brother, tells it to print to the 6 x 4 photo paper in the MP tray...
You're sure there's nothing in the Brother printing app about making the image 'fit the page' or somthing like that? If such an option exists it is likely to in the same dialog box that tells you it's going to use 6x4 paper in the MP tray.

Ken
Well I am not entirely certain but I just went through the options available to me now and I didn't see any. I chose a photo and then looked at the options available and it only shows the Letter size paper and the 4 x 6 glossy photo paper. There was nothing there to edit the photo to fit the paper. I also chose a photo under the Brother App itself and still found no editing capabilities. I know when I set up the Brother printer originally I had to tell it to use the MP tray because 4 x 6 photo paper can also be printed from another tray under the first draw of letter size paper but I no longer see any option to change that now.
Regards,
hlewton

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

hlewton wrote:...I just went through the options available to me now and I didn't see any...
In which case it looks like your choices are:

1) crop each photo on the phone before you send it to print

2) download the photos to a 'real' computer and print them from there using a 'proper' image application, which range from simple viewers like IrfanView through serious photo editors like Affinity Photo up to the industrial strength of Photoshop. The screenshots below is from the print dialog in IrfanView. The scaling feature I've been talking about is highlighted.

Ken
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

stuck wrote:
hlewton wrote:...I just went through the options available to me now and I didn't see any...
In which case it looks like your choices are:

1) crop each photo on the phone before you send it to print

2) download the photos to a 'real' computer and print them from there using a 'proper' image application, which range from simple viewers like IrfanView through serious photo editors like Affinity Photo up to the industrial strength of Photoshop. The screenshots below is from the print dialog in IrfanView. The scaling feature I've been talking about is highlighted.

Ken
Thank you for all the information. I may have to look into that IrfanView you mentioned since it appears to be free. Aftre looking over your screen shot I have to ask, is there the option somewhere to choose a 4 x 6 print? I may be missing it but I just don't see it anywhere. What I do see is the "resulting image size on paper" and that seems to me to be a concern.

However, when I have a lot of photos to print I can edit them at the site I send them to to be printed before placing the actual order for prints. That works well also.
Last edited by hlewton on 21 May 2019, 15:48, edited 2 times in total.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Yes, IrfanView is free!
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

HansV wrote:Yes, IrfanView is free!
Fastsone Image Viewer is another freebie that lots of people here use. I don't have a copy but I know Hans has, perhaps he can confirm it too has this scaling feature.

Meanwhile one last idea... If as you say:
hlewton wrote:...I can edit them at the site I send them to to be printed before placing the actual order for prints...
then, rather than editing them, see if the site allows you to scale the photos. On this side of the pond Cewe is a big name in photo printing and their software allows you to order:
    6 x 4 digital prints - which gives you photo that fills a piece of 6 x 4 paper but consequently crops the picture
OR
    Original (variable length) - which results in uncropped photos that are 5.333" x 4"

See if you can find a similar option on your photo printing site. I print photos from my wife's camera (Nikon compact camera that has a 4:3 aspect ratio) using the 'Original (variable length)' option. No editing needed and the entire picture is printer, simple.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

FastStone Image Viewer has a similar dialog:
S2685.png
And if you want to resize or crop images in bulk, there is FastStone Photo Resizer from the same developer, also free.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thank you both for all the information. I will look into all of it.
Regards,
hlewton