"Uninstall or change a program" not showing all programs

jmt356
SilverLounger

"Uninstall or change a program" not showing all programs

Post by jmt356 »

Programs and Features | "Uninstall or change a program" is only displaying 21 programs, but I know I have a lot more than that installed. Where are the rest of them?
Regards,

JMT

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: "Uninstall or change a program" not showing all programs

Post by Rudi »

If you just want to uninstall something not listed, you can try navigate to the Program Files folder on the C:| drive. The App folder generally contains an uninstaller file to uninstall that app.

If you view the uninstall list using CCLeaner or Revo Uninstaller, do these applications show you the full list or do you get the same 21 entries?

If you get the same 21 entries, have you recently uninstalled something? Windows Support mentions that this problem may occur if the uninstaller for a program incorrectly removes registry entries that are used by Windows and the Add/Remove Programs tool. Maybe in this case you can try a System Restore to a restore point before you uninstalled this culprit app?

Try running Malwarebytes (Anti-Malware) and see if that might resolve?! Though it sounds strange, I did come across a thread on TechRepublic where the poster reported his list was restored after running some spyware/adware/malware tools to clean his system.

Try running System File Checker. Open cmd.exe with Run as Administrator and run SFC /SCANNOW and allow to complete. Restart and test.

For more drastic measures you can try a refresh of you Windows 8 system... (Don't get it mixed up with Restore, which is like a Factory reset for your system!)
See here for steps and details...
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Only desktop programs show on the uninstall list. If you want to uninstall a modern app you need to go to the start screen, right click on the app icon, and select "uninstall". You can also use this method for desktop programs.

Joe
Joe

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I have tried to right-click the program in the Start menu and then select Uninstall, but this only opens up the Control Panel Add / Remove window, which does not list the program that I want to uninstall. It only lists a small handful of programs.

I see 26 programs in Control Panel Add / Remove Programs. In CCleaner’s Applications tab, I see:
13 under Applications:
1 under Internet;
6 under Multimedia;
7 under Utilities;
5 under Windows.

That’s a total of 32 programs, so it is still not my full list.
Regards,

JMT

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I found a more comprehensive list of programs (113) when I right-clicked on the CCleaner icon in my start menu, ran it as administrator and then went to the Tools tab.
Regards,

JMT

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

This problem started after I restored my computer using Acronis. Could that have something to do with why not all of the programs are displayed?
Regards,

JMT

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

There seems to be a lack of replies on this thread JMT? Besides my contribution further up, I am really not sure what may have caused this issue? Further searching does not really reveal anything more. I don't think Acronis would be responsible for this issue as any images it makes should be a direct copy of your current system; but then again, I am no expert on the subject.

Hope you find a resolution :cheers:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.