Compatibility issue between Word 2003 and Windows 8?

jmt356
SilverLounger

Compatibility issue between Word 2003 and Windows 8?

Post by jmt356 »

Is there a compatibility issue between Word 2003 and Windows 8?

Word 2003 has worked fine for me on Windows XP, Vista and 7. However, I am now experiencing some difficulties. It just crashed when I tried looking up a word via WordWeb and crashes each time I click Tools in the Open dialogue.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Re: Compatibility issue between Word 2003 and Windows 8?

Post by HansV »

According to Microsoft's Compatibility Center for Windows 8, none of the Office 2003 applications is compatible with Windows 8.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I have generally not had compatibility issues. I have had the above issue and also the following:
- Word 2003 crashed twice when I tried pasting material copied from IE into a Word file. The problem did not occur when I pasted only Unicode text.
- My Word 2003 shortcut keys (ctrl C, ctrl X, ctrl V, etc.) have disappeared when Word crashed.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You didn't mention that Word had crashed in your thread about the keyboard shortcuts in Word...
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

HansV wrote:You didn't mention that Word had crashed in your thread about the keyboard shortcuts in Word...
I did* mention it. I am not sure if this is due to a compatibility problem. Word even crashed at times when I was running it on Windows 2007 (though not when I copied html text into a Word document).

Whether there is a compatibility issue is confusing. According to http://techlogon.com/2012/11/04/is-offi ... -windows-8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;:

"On the one hand, Microsoft Support states: “Office 2003 suites and applications are not compatible with Windows 8, you will have problems running it on Windows 8” [my bolding] ... On the other hand, this view is flatly contradicted by Microsoft’s own Windows 8 Compatibility Center – checking for Office 2003 applications produces the following W8 compatibility results:
"•Word 2003 SP3 – compatible
"•Excel 2003 Professional – compatible."

So I am not sure if the issue I experienced is due to compatibility. However, I have noticed some erratic behavior in Word and Outlook and may try upgrading Office to see if it helps.

At the same time, though, many of my programs act erratically on Windows 8, including EasyCapture, BacktoStart, etc., and my mouse and my touchpad also act erratically.
Regards,

JMT