"In Place" Upgrade: Windows 7 to Windows 8

Peter S
NewLounger

"In Place" Upgrade: Windows 7 to Windows 8

Post by Peter S »

For those who do not want the hassle of re-installing all their Win 7 programs when changing over to Windows 8 Pro, I can report that I have installed Windows 8 Professional (64-bit) over my existing Windows 7 Professional (64-bit) system. (After making a complete backup image of the Win 7 System using Acronis True Image 2013, just in case!) So far, I have found my new Win 8 setup works just fine and, in particular, my desktop looks and functions exactly as it did under Win 7 (except, of course for the "missing" Start Orb and the few Gadgets I had). All settings (screen saver, power settings, etc) remained unchanged. Another advantage (for those who use it), Windows Media Player was "retained" from the Win 7 installation and has been incorporated, fully functional in the Win 8 Pro installation (it DOES play DVDs, whereas the Media Player included with Win 8 does not), . So far, so good! If, at some later stage things go pear-shaped, I will be able to revert back to the backup image of my Win 7 system, "clean install" Win 8 and import backed up data; or, of course, I could simply go back to using Win 7.

By the Way: For those who really can't do without desktop gadgets, Winstep provides fully functional gadgets for Win 7 an 8 (I can, of course, not offer any comment about their effects on your security). The gadgets are (almost!) infinitely customisable.

Winstep Nexus (Free) is available here: http://www.winstep.net/nexus.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(If you purchase the "ultimate" version, then the gadgets are even more customisable)

Enjoy!! :smile:
(My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core CPU; MSI X570-A PRO Mobo; Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 32GB RAM; 2TB Corsair Force Series MP600 2TB PCIe Gen 4.0 M.2 NVMe SSD. 1TB SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 NVME SSD; 512GB SAMSUNG 850 PRO SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; Nvidia GeForce TX 2060 Super Ventus Graphics Card (SLI); Microsoft 365 Home; Condusiv SSDKeeper Professional; Acronis TI 2020 Premium, VMWare Workstation 15 Player. HP 1TB USB SSD External Backup Drive). Dell G-Sync 144Hz Monitor.