Have you tried Windows 8 yet?

IllogicalLogic
NewLounger

Have you tried Windows 8 yet?

Post by IllogicalLogic »

If so what are your thoughts on it?

I've used it since the Developer Preview and it just got better and better with each new build. I can't wait for the retail release. :)

kdock
5StarLounger

Re: Have you tried Windows 8 yet?

Post by kdock »

I've run Win8 Consumer Preview in a VirtualBox VM on my desktop. My experience, given what I do with my computer is... eh. :shrug:

I found the Interface Previously Known As Metro to actually be a bit unintuitive on its own. However, after reading a relatively small amount about it, it's fine. The Applets that came with all had a disclaimer and I've not used them. But then, most of the tiles were useless for me, with the possible exception of SkyDrive. I installed the Office 2013 Preview because that's primarily what I use, along with some image and video editing software. BTW, Office 2013 ran horribly in the VirtualBox until I disabled hardware acceleration within Office, and then they all ran just fine. This seems to be an issue only with VirtualBox.

At first there was a bit of work getting to the desktop. Now I have a tile that takes me there. I rarely use the tiled UI, so I'm not sure of its benefits for me. I've put program icons on the desktop and task bar, so I don't usually have to go back to the tiles to get to another program.

I'm not past the "oh goodie, new stuff!" phase in my life, but I am to the point where the new stuff has to be more than just new or different. It has to have a real benefit for me. I don't see it in Win8 -- just a bunch of clicking to get me to where I start out on Win 7.

If I was told I had to use Win 8, I'd be fine, although my eyes would get a workout, rolling every day. I'm going to wait to see where it goes rather than jump on the bandwagon right now.

Kim
"Hmm. What does this button do?" Said everyone before being ejected from a car, blown up, or deleting all the data from the mainframe.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

IllogicalLogic wrote:If so what are your thoughts on it?

I've used it since the Developer Preview and it just got better and better with each new build. I can't wait for the retail release. :)
See my post Still applies
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

syswizard
4StarLounger

Post by syswizard »

Isn't the big advantage in the ability to upgrade XP machines ?
With Win 7, you couldn't do that. And for $40 ?
http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/techn ... sta-858859" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Windows 8 ??????????????

I just got Windows 7 running. Let's see. I ran XP for about 8-9 years. I figure to get about 12 or 15 out of Win 7. Of course, by then I'll be too damned old to know the difference.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs