Simplest curry sauce recipe

Post by ChrisGreaves »

1 tablespoon flour (20 g)
1 tablespoon butter (30g)

Melt gently and mix to a smooth paste

1 tablespoon curry powder
Add to paste and mix to a smooth paste

Warm 1 cup of milk.
Stir in paste gently, avoiding lumpiness.
Bring close to boil.

I've boiled vegetables in this (potatoes, carrots,, parsnip, turnips, chopped broccoloi stalks, onions) and made a love;y curried-vegetable dish.
I've marinated chicken breasts in this.
I've marinated steak in this.

And I like that I can make a double batch and store half in a lidded jar in the fridge for a few days.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Re: Simplest curry sauce recipe

Post by Skitterbug »

ChrisGreaves wrote:1 tablespoon flour (20 g)
1 tablespoon butter (30g)

Melt gently and mix to a smooth paste

1 tablespoon curry powder
Add to paste and mix to a smooth paste

Warm 1 cup of milk.
Stir in paste gently, avoiding lumpiness.
Bring close to boil.

I've boiled vegetables in this (potatoes, carrots,, parsnip, turnips, chopped broccoloi stalks, onions) and made a love;y curried-vegetable dish.
I've marinated chicken breasts in this.
I've marinated steak in this.

And I like that I can make a double batch and store half in a lidded jar in the fridge for a few days.
How do you boil veggies in this sauce? Wouldn't it become a sticky mess?
I admit that I haven't tried this one out yet, but it makes more sense to me, if I'd steam my veggies first and then pour the hot sauce over them? :help:
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Skitterbug wrote:How do you boil veggies in this sauce? Wouldn't it become a sticky mess?
I put the sauce in a, well, a sauce-pan, of all things, :evilgrin: then I drop in the vegies and bring it to the boil.
Boil for as long as it normally takes to cook the veg (depends on thickness of slices etc).
No sticky mess. I like my vegies CRISP. maybe that's why I'm called CRISPOPHER.
I admit that I haven't tried this one out yet, but it makes more sense to me, if I'd steam my veggies first and then pour the hot sauce over them?
The recipe I saw mentioned that the sauce could be poured over pre-cooked food, and I think I'd do that too.

But for most dishes I'd want to sauce/flavour to seep in, so I'd soak/marinate/cook in sauce, rather than cook in water and then pour over.
Give it a try. I's not the world's best sauce, but it's fast to make, and the tblspoon/cup quantities are suitable for a dish for 4 people.

P.S. the day I end up with soggy curried vegies is the day I embark on pureed curried vegie soup!
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

Post by Guest »

Hi Guys,.....

thanks for sharing lovely recipe which is related to Simplest curry sauce recipe . i shall try this very soon then i shall share my comments with you people.