Tea cans

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Tea cans

Post by Hey Jude »

I am wondering if someone knows the origin of tea cups also being known as "cans." I was told it was from an old Afrikaans song with a Dutch origin but I haven't been able to locate anything concrete yet.
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

HansV
Administrator

Re: Tea cans

Post by HansV »

It doesn't ring any Dutch bells with me...

I suspect it's of English origin: :innocent:
x515.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

Where did you get the information that tea cups are, or ever were, called cans ?? I know that tea is traditionally sold loose in cans, but would imagine that if the tea cups were made of metal they would be impractical for drinking hot tea.

Could you be referring to Tea Cannisters ??
If life gives you melons,
You may be dyslexic.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

As far as I can tell, Afrikaans "teekan" means "tea pot", and figuratively "tea break", not "tea cup". But I could be mistaken. Where is Rudi when you need him?
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I always think of one of these when someone talks about tea cans.
StuartR

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

HansV wrote:I suspect it's of English origin: :innocent:
Ho-ho, Hans!

Maybe it's like the toucan?
As in "Only teacan play..."
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Doc Watson wrote:Where did you get the information that tea cups are, or ever were, called cans ?? I know that tea is traditionally sold loose in cans, but would imagine that if the tea cups were made of metal they would be impractical for drinking hot tea.

Could you be referring to Tea Cannisters ??
One of my FB friends posted a photo collection entitled "cans" and every photograph was of a tea cup. I have a nice collection of bone china tea cups/saucers but hadn't ever heard the word "can" associated with them, so I dared to ask why she referenced them as "cans." Hence the Afrikaans suggestion and now I have the words to that song,

"Jan Pierewiet, Jan Pierewiet, Jan Pierewiet staan stil
Jan Pierewiet, Jan Pierewiet, Jan Pierewiet staan stil
Goeie môre, my vrou, hier's 'n soentjie vir jou
Goeie môre, my man, daar is koffie in die kan."

I have found a Cumming Mint
site which calls one of the cups "Coffee Can Pattern No. 65" so I have a better understanding now. Yes, tea was sold in tins (cans) as well as coffee. I remember the old aluminum "cans" that my father used in his early Navy rations packs which looked very similar in design to this artistic design--yes they were VERY HOT to hold as well as drink from until properly cooled.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

StuartR wrote:I always think of one of these when someone talks about tea cans.
That is fabulous Stuart :-) I have 4 similar contraptions in my garage with the camping equipment.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

If you Google the first line of the song, you'll be taken to Mama Lisa's site which has the words, music etc. I didn't post the link due to the cost involved if you wished to support said site.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

"koffie in die kan" means "coffee in the jug" or "coffee in the pot"...
Best wishes,
Hans

silverback
5StarLounger

Post by silverback »

Hey Jude wrote: One of my FB friends posted a photo collection entitled "cans" and every photograph was of a tea cup. I have a nice collection of bone china tea cups/saucers but hadn't ever heard the word "can" associated with them, so I dared to ask why she referenced them as "cans." Hence the Afrikaans suggestion .......
Hey Jude
I think you misheard. Your friend probably said it was of Afri_can origin. :innocent:
Silverback

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Silverback :evilgrin: :cheers:

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Hey Jude wrote:I am wondering if someone knows the origin of tea cups also being known as "cans."
When I worked in Singapore (80s) tea was sold in plastic bags, tea with condensed milk. Every 10th tea was sold in the can, by pouring the black tea into the near-empty condensed milk can.

The only thing I know about cans in Canada is the old line about the salmon fisheries people on the west coast - they eat what they can, and they can what they can't.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

That is interesting about tea and condensed milk (cm). I recall using (cm) in Paraguay with my tea when real creme wasn't available. Dulcé de leché is one fine confectionery which we stumbled upon when I overcooked the cm one afternoon. It was like dropping Kraft caramels into dark liquid, which in turn created this most delicious flavour. Every once-in-a-while I will take a can of cm out, open it and find the Maillard reaction had already transformed it. I grew up with dual Brit/American citizenship until I had to declare when I got my first passport at 21. I don't recall ever hearing anyone talking about tea and/or coffee cups as "cans" so it's nice to find some background :-)

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Hey Jude wrote:I don't recall ever hearing anyone talking about tea and/or coffee cups as "cans" so it's nice to find some background :-)
Then of course the Aussies Boil The Billy. The Billy-can being a smoke-blackened tin can about 8" high and 5" diameter(?) with a wire handle.
Here's a video for you from our Safrican friends.

Although we have a :cauldron: we seem to be lacking a :billycan:

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Doc Watson wrote:...would imagine that if the tea cups were made of metal they would be impractical for drinking hot tea.
As far as I know, enamelled tin mugs were standard issue to troops during the First and Second World Wars. I have one myself and they are not pleasant to use with a hot drink! I also recall hearing once that apart from blisters, cancer of the lips/mouth was more prevalent with long-term use.
Leif

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Leif wrote:... enamelled tin mugs were standard issue to troops during the First and Second World Wars.
... also standard issue to the Greaves family in the late 50s on long (> 1 hour) car trips which necessitated a road-side stop to change drivers, pee, eat sandwiches etc.

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

ChrisGreaves wrote:When I worked in Singapore (80s) tea was sold in plastic bags, tea with condensed milk. Every 10th tea was sold in the can, by pouring the black tea into the near-empty condensed milk can.
Chris... everything in Singapore in the '80s was sold in plastic bags with little pink strings to hold the bag with. Talk about an environmental disaster !!! :groan:

And the condensed milk thing is pretty universal in tropical climates due to early lack of refrigeration. Singapore coffee was served either Coppio or Coppia, with or without condensed milk. I'm still trying to find the amazing dark beans that produce an oily sheen on the coffee that we used there. I thought they were a Malayan french, oil roast process, but I've not seen them or their ilk since. And it's been 30 years of looking. :scratch:
If life gives you melons,
You may be dyslexic.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Doc Watson wrote:... plastic bags with little pink strings
Thanks for the memories Doc.
Ah yes, the little pink strings. The bag was suspended from the little finger and tea was sucked through a plastic straw.
My guess is that Singapore took a %ge of the oil that passed through, and across the surface of, the harbour and used it to fuel a mini-plastics industry!
... the amazing dark beans that produce an oily sheen on the coffee that we used there.
Please re-read my reference to oil floating on the water. Why are you so sure that the oil came from the beans? :sick: :puke: