On Tines

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

On Tines

Post by ChrisGreaves »

• Why do forks have a weird end to ONE tip?
  • Why is it one tip?
  • Why not all tips?
  • What purpose does the weird tip serve?
(signed) "Can't eat for staring at the fork" of Toronto
HPIM3628 [640x480].JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Re: On Tines

Post by John Gray »

The purpose of that fork is to act as a "conversation piece".

Alternative explanation: a problem with the stamping machine, and Quality Control saying, "Never mind that, just send them out - nobody will notice." But they didn't reckon with Chris "eagle eyes" Greaves...

Third explanation: those tines are used for eating parsley, sage and rosemary with.
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

John Gray wrote: parsley, sage and rosemary with.
It's actually Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and , but never mind that.
How can I set up a filter to hide all John Gray's responses in the Cooking Forum? :evilgrin: :hugs:

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The notch is usually seen on salad forks and (in combination with the slightly greater width of the notched tine) is supposedly intended to give better leverage when eating food that normally isn't cut with a knife. But the fork in your picture looks more like a dinner fork... :shrug:
Best wishes,
Hans

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

It is notched so you use it as a toothpick :flee: :grin: :hairout:
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:... (in combination with the slightly greater width of the notched tine) ...
I think I've seen something like that, but a much shorter fork, and perhaps only three tines, (or perhaps only three times) and, (memory fade creeps in) used as cake/dessert forks.

(later) look here
Scroll about half way down and look for http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://lh6.ggpht.com/_FVuhrz8ZXkI/S8-ZEHvC_vI/AAAAAAAAA68/UZeQt2aOjJ0/kannpastryfork3.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.thegreatwithin.org/2010/04/silver-desire-two-tete-tete-table.html&usg=__xb_Aj84yraeBIPgsfG9jcJho_Y0=&h=480&w=553&sz=72&hl=en&start=116&sig2=lBbLQx6YAFUa-Ynymaps_A&zoom=1&tbnid=WTQh-5z5TYSosM:&tbnh=163&tbnw=188&ei=rCFcTYSCI5PksQPIzpnXAQ&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dwide%2Btines%2Bforks%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3DOdn%26sa%3DX%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26biw%3D1152%26bih%3D679%26tbs%3Disch:10%2C3920&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=223&oei=nCFcTcPzEoKC8gbF7oz7DA&page=8&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:8,s:116&tx=76&ty=70&biw=1152&bih=679 (I claim the record for the longest URL ever pasted in The Lounge)

Or here and again, about half-way down.
kannpastryfork_thumb1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.