Wartime Kitchen and Garden

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Wartime Kitchen and Garden

Post by ChrisGreaves »

A search on Youtube foir "Wartime Kitchen and Garden" should turn up eight episodes. There are companion series but to date I have watched only the wartime.
Harry Dodson
Ruth Mott

I have been reminded of a technique I used as recently as 1991: A Hot Box to do slow-cooking. Much of what I bottle is in the form of baked beans, soups, stews, meat sauces and so on. I am idealistic enough to resurrect this practice this winter(1).

I am introduced to drying apple slices. There are nearby three fruiting apple trees offered for my use, and I might give this a shot.

Many other ideas for the active cook.

I leaned to cook on the cheap. My mother "If you'd lived through the depression ..." and "We used to swap our chocolate rations for potato rations after you were born" (1946), reminds me that rationing ended in 1954, but when we moved to The Yilgarn in Western Australia in 1956 my mother taught me to improvise. I have used carrots to make "apricot jam", and Ruth Mott used parsnips and banana essence to fake bananas!

(1) My house is all-electric, so I consider that any fuel (electricity) used in baking and cooking merely diverts electricity from the thermostat-controlled baseboard heaters.

Cheers, Chris
He who plants a seed, plants life.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: Wartime Kitchen and Garden

Post by ChrisGreaves »

On page 49 of Catherine Cookson's Harrogate Secret I came across the word snobbin' three times (bottom half of the page).
Well! I can't let John Gray get the better of me so I did a few of these newfangled Google Search things.

I got many references to Being A Snob :blush: , Snowboarding :snow: and (I assume on account of the time of year) Apple Cobblers (see my recipe in this forum. I didn't get so many false leads when we used 80-column punched cards.

After several years of trying different searches I was led to Pat(ricia) Cryer's web site, one page of which can be read at https://www.1900s.org.uk/1900s-cobblers.htm

Pat is still active on her site.

I do urge you not to read the entire web site, but wandering through it an hour a day should blunt our combined ignorance before the year-end!

Cheers, Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
He who plants a seed, plants life.