In praise of South African canned peaches

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

In praise of South African canned peaches

Post by ChrisGreaves »

2023_06_20230607_105112.jpg
Why am I buying canned peaches? Because I wanted to make crumpet rings, and the cans of tuna, while about the right size, are those new-fangled modern crud moulded from a single sheet. I was looking for cans about two inches high which, after both ends had been can-openered off, would each make a crumpet ring.
I found some cans of peaches from which both ends could be removed and thought “if I take two of these cans home, empty them, and cut them in half” with the grinder I bought second-hand from David, I will have four crumpet rings.
2023_06_20230607_105117.jpg
Well! Hello RUDI! :hello:
I opened the first can and ate them all that night. These peach segments are firm, not crunchy; cooked, but not like the sloppy pulp I was used to in WA. I recommend them for dessert. You will impress your friends.
2023_06_20230607_105124.jpg
Meanwhile back at the ranch ... I cut the can in half, removed the other end, and had home-made crumpets for the first time in my life. I was driven to this extreme because no-one in Bonavista eats crumpets and so the stores do not stock crumpets, and so no-one eats crumpets, and so ....
I have been eating crumpets since before I was ten, and my mother carried the tradition to WA (slathered with butter and then the holes loaded with melted honey ...)
Toronto stocked them, but they seemed too dry; perhaps extra-dried for reasons of preservation.
After I had bottled my four three-pound tubs of Turkey Stew (“take three 370 ml cans of tomato paste ...”) I washed up three empty cans this morning and noticed that my cans of tomato paste have suitable ends. Of Course! I had started trawling for cans after the tuna and salmon section, and that means after the tomato paste section.
I now think that I will use each 370ml can as is and not cut the can in half. The can will be tall, it is true, but the Three?-inch height gives me a place to grab the can while I poke the formed crumpet out of the other end. Besides cutting a can in half always leaves a curl of metal that threatens to slice a finger or two.

(signed) ( :yum: ) of Bonavista
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Re: In praise of South African canned peaches

Post by Skitterbug »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
07 Jun 2023, 13:50
2023_06_20230607_105112.jpg
Why am I buying canned peaches? Because I wanted to make crumpet rings, and the cans of tuna, while about the right size, are those new-fangled modern crud moulded from a single sheet. I was looking for cans about two inches high which, after both ends had been can-openered off, would each make a crumpet ring.
I found some cans of peaches from which both ends could be removed and thought “if I take two of these cans home, empty them, and cut them in half” with the grinder I bought second-hand from David, I will have four crumpet rings.
2023_06_20230607_105117.jpg
Well! Hello RUDI! :hello:
I opened the first can and ate them all that night. These peach segments are firm, not crunchy; cooked, but not like the sloppy pulp I was used to in WA. I recommend them for dessert. You will impress your friends.
2023_06_20230607_105124.jpg
Meanwhile back at the ranch ... I cut the can in half, removed the other end, and had home-made crumpets for the first time in my life. I was driven to this extreme because no-one in Bonavista eats crumpets and so the stores do not stock crumpets, and so no-one eats crumpets, and so ....
I have been eating crumpets since before I was ten, and my mother carried the tradition to WA (slathered with butter and then the holes loaded with melted honey ...)
Toronto stocked them, but they seemed too dry; perhaps extra-dried for reasons of preservation.
After I had bottled my four three-pound tubs of Turkey Stew (“take three 370 ml cans of tomato paste ...”) I washed up three empty cans this morning and noticed that my cans of tomato paste have suitable ends. Of Course! I had started trawling for cans after the tuna and salmon section, and that means after the tomato paste section.
I now think that I will use each 370ml can as is and not cut the can in half. The can will be tall, it is true, but the Three?-inch height gives me a place to grab the can while I poke the formed crumpet out of the other end. Besides cutting a can in half always leaves a curl of metal that threatens to slice a finger or two.

(signed) ( :yum: ) of Bonavista
Please post a pic of the finished product! "yum:
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Skitterbug wrote:
10 Jun 2023, 17:03
Please post a pic of the finished product! "yum:
Skitterbug, you are a week too late with your request. However, today was bread-making day, so I will make a batch tomorrow. What time will y'all be dropping by?
Cheers, Chris

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
10 Jun 2023, 19:38
Skitterbug wrote:
10 Jun 2023, 17:03
What time will y'all be dropping by?
Cheers, Chris
:sad: Too many obligations currently to even consider traveling anywhere but thank you! It would be great fun to visit!

Watched the video and enjoyed the lesson! I may have to give this one a try. :yep: Thanks for the link!
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Skitterbug wrote:
11 Jun 2023, 12:04
It would be great fun to visit!
What is it that fascinates you about fog, drizzle, mist, showers and (yesterday) 47mm of steady rain?
Bring Your Own Sunshine, Sunshine. It comes in cans of South African peaches
Watched the video and enjoyed the lesson! I may have to give this one a try. :yep: Thanks for the link!
My first batch (evening) I hadn't left the batter long enough to rise, but the next morning it made a better batch.
I am now starting to raise yeast from a morning's bread-making, leave it overnight, then cook a batch of crumpets. I gather that they can be stored frozen.

For those who have not tried English Crumpets: The yeast makes roughly cylindrical holes in the cooked bun, and for that reason they are popular with children(1) because you can slather on a seemingly endless supply of butter, honey, jam etc and it fills up the dozens of holes like Stormwater Detention Tanks

Cheers, Chris
(1) Of all ages,