Peter Rabbit, Flopsy, Mopsy, Cotton Tail

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Peter Rabbit, Flopsy, Mopsy, Cotton Tail

Post by ChrisGreaves »

The BBC recipe looks as if I could manage it.
It will be an advance on last year's effort ("Dice everything and boil it then eat it").

I'd be interested in comments if anyone has made rabbit pie, or at least, rabbit stew lately.

I do not maintain a stable of herbs and spices beyond black Pepper, Paprika, curry Powder and some grainy stuff in an unmarked jar.

I took delivery of ten frozen rabbits a few minutes ago from Dave who, I now realize, looks a lot like the image of Mr McGregor, but nowhere near as angry. Especially after I handed over $55. I got a bonus - about two pounds of frozen rabbit livers. Plus two onions from Dave's garden.

Thanks
Chris
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: Peter Rabbit, Flopsy, Mopsy, Cotton Tail

Post by BobH »

It's been more than 50 years since I last made a rabbit stew - or a squirrel stew for that matter.

You need to improve your spice pantry. Add parsley, oregano, celery leaves, celery seeds, white pepper, cumin, cilantro (coriander to you who insist on metrics) dried, coriander seeds, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, . . . that will do for a start.

I made a chicken cacciatore today that had fresh bell peppers and onions plus dried parsley, celery leaves, oregano, coarse grind black pepper, sea salt, and bay leaves in addition to chicken thighs, stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste and spiced tomatoes (RoTel).
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:
31 Oct 2020, 02:00
It's been more than 50 years since I last made a rabbit stew - or a squirrel stew for that matter.
Oh Good! Current experience. Just what I needle.
You need to improve your spice pantry. Add parsley, oregano, celery leaves, celery seeds, white pepper, cumin, cilantro (coriander to you who insist on metrics) dried, coriander seeds, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, . . . that will do for a start.
I set off this morning, down the hill, in the biting wind to Foodland armed with a list written by hand with a real Fountain Pen (I mean, we are talking Beatrix Potter here, right?(1)). You know that the wind is strong when you have to pedal down-hill.
The checkout staff at Foodland have camouflaged themselves with purple-cat costumes, so I couldn't greet them by name.

My list read "leek, fennel seed, cider, stock, double cream, parsley, oregano, celery leaves, celery seeds, cumin, cilantro, garlic, bay leaves" for I had combined your list, Bob, with the list in the BBC recipe.
("If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing properly")
20201031_115011.jpg
I started off at the 2.5 shelves of herbs & spices and after four minutes on my knees struggled upright clutching the six packets you see here.
I could not find fennel, funnily enough.
(It strikes me now that I write this that everything I bought looks like stuff with which the rabbit should have been stuffed au naturel before Dave slaughtered the poor family what never did him no harm.)
Being trailed by a purple cat did my thought processes no good at all, and I headed back to the checkout completely forgetting to buy the "leek, fennel seed, cider, stock, double cream, celery leaves, cumin, cilantro and garlic, but having a bonus package of Basil leaves (Waldorf Salad at the 30m01s mark)". It strikes me now that I should have pulled out my shopping list instead of facing the trauma of having to toss out my ten-year old collection of stuff.

And anyway, it wasn't at all clear to me whether your list of "You need to improve your spice pantry." was just you showing off, or whether you really thought that I should be using "parsley, oregano, celery leaves, celery seeds, white pepper, cumin, cilantro (coriander to you who insist on metrics) dried, coriander seeds, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper" for this family of bunnies.
I made a chicken cacciatore today that had fresh bell peppers and onions plus dried parsley, celery leaves, oregano, coarse grind black pepper, sea salt, and bay leaves in addition to chicken thighs, stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste and spiced tomatoes (RoTel).
"How do you make chicken cacciatore?" "First caccia youra chicken!" :laugh:

And no, it was not a free ride back up the hill. 10Kg of wholewheat flour in the bag means you have to pedal up, as well as down.

(1) Place the herbs and egg in a Pot and Beatrix in slow speed until ...

Cheers
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Now it's time to pedal back downhill - don't you just HATE metrics - to Foodtown and get those spices. I blame my leaving out basil on a senior moment. I took a test yesterday proving that I don't have oldtimers.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:
31 Oct 2020, 18:54
Now it's time to pedal back downhill - don't you just HATE metrics -
Hi Bob. Did you meran "isometrics"? We are talking about pedaling, right?

Seriously: was that list of herbs/spices for the chicken cacciatore or did you mean for me to use them in the rabbit stew?
Since I have five frozen pair of bunnies, I plan to make up five batches of stew-like stuff, on different days, some for pies, some in preserving jars, and so on.

Thanks
Chris

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I've never made a really spicy rabbit stew. IIRC I only used salt and pepper. Started with a roux that would eventually make a gravy. Potatoes were involved . . . if not committed. :grin:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I'll take a picture of my spice stash and post it later. It might take several hours to get it together and arrange it so that it can be seen in a single shot.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

Cellmate
2StarLounger

Post by Cellmate »

I didn't recently make a rabbit stew, but I have made one or two in the last few years...

You are such an internet warrior that I don't believe you can't find a worthy recipe for this.
I watched a video of Jacques Pepin showing me how to cut one up and how to (several ways) cook it.

With mushrooms, with other ingredients...

C'mon...who are you trying to kid?

Rabbit stew is wonderful. (It's a bit unusual, in this day and age, but it's not anything new.)

My girlfriend, back in the early 1970's, had a bit of a farm in her back yard. They (her family) raised chickens, geese, goats, veggies, and rabbits for food. Her dad warned her not to name or become attached to the bunnies as they were to be used as food(!) She, of course, broke those rules...
My girlfriend sort of adopted on of the bunnies and named him Tom Bombadil, from the Tolkien's novels...

Eventually I was invited to dinner and the meal consisted of rabbit stew. Yes, we had Tom for dinner!

My dear girlfriend understood and thought I might not...but I did.
She was of mixed feelings about it. (Tom was a sweet bunny...)

Any way, dinner was great. And I've had bunny for dinner several times since.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Cellmate wrote:
07 Jan 2021, 04:50
You are such an internet warrior that I don't believe you can't find a worthy recipe for this.
Ah Cellmate! You misunderstand me. Yes I could be classed as an "Internet warrior", and was so while we were using 1stReader to trawl cross-country BBS. My "WeatherVAIN" and similar applications were scouring news-wire services for private numbers of CEOs and parsing police blotters to tabulate crimes by postal code (down to block-of-the-street level) twenty years ago.

But when I post a question about Rabbit Stew in Eileen's Lounge I am more interested in the data (or "knowledge" if you prefer) that is in members brains.
And here is a classic example of why membership in a Lounge like this is valuable This post points out the value of asking my peers and superiors for their real-world experience. I do not operate in a commercial kitchen; I operate in a two-knife three-pan two-hotplate 5ºc environment (until I turn on the baseboard heater) where the rabbit has been dressed locally according to Dave Crouch's habits (no doubt passed on to him by his father, father's father etc), and by and large I am not going to be able to follow Jacques Pepin 's advice to the letter.

I have been making stews since I was eleven, so I know how to make stew (place meat in saucepan of water and bring to boil).
I know so little about sous-vide that I had to descend to the level of Wikipedia to learn what BobH was talking about just a couple of days ago, and I know a bit of French; after all forty years ago I lived and worked there for 2½ years.

But we must move forwards.
Any way, dinner was great. And I've had bunny for dinner several times since.
Now this is useful feedback. As is any cooking-forum response along the lines of "I've had it again since then", for it tells me that indeed I am not alone.

Then too there is the message conveyed in the text that is NOT in the response.
To date I have read no dire warnings of Bad Things That Can Happen To You Unless You Do <this>", which is to me good news.

Yesterday I finished eating the last of two dozen Cornish Pasties I made two weeks ago with - you guessed it - the stewed flesh of boiled rabbit. I have six more bunnies to dispose of before Dave sets off again to catch and dress rabbits in his neck of the woods. I pay $cdn10 per pair, dressed and frozen. What do you pay in your neck of the woods?

Cheers
Chris

silverback
5StarLounger

Post by silverback »

I pay $cdn10 per pair, dressed and frozen
Hold on a minute. In the OP, you said
I took delivery of ten frozen rabbits a few minutes ago . . . .Especially after I handed over $55
You can't fool me. 10 Wabbits at $10 a pair = $50. Why the extra $5? What other service(s) are you paying for?
Or was it really $55 American (approx $cdn70) - in which case you were really being shaken down.
I think we should be told.

Signed Elmer Fudd.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Wascally wabbits are extra!
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

silverback wrote:
07 Jan 2021, 16:49
You can't fool me. 10 Wabbits at $10 a pair = $50. Why the extra $5? What other service(s) are you paying for?
Silverback, you old fuddy-duddy, what on earth made you think I would try to fool someone as genteel, intelligent, urbane and gullible as you?

Like all cultured denizens of this den I am sophisticated enough to fob (are you paying attention, BobH?) a used five-dollar note to anyone who tips their cap at me when they park in my driveway and deliver goods of value to me.
The price of the rabbits is indeed $10 for every eight pawless-legs held together by a svelte torso, but the cost to me includes a $5 delivery fee, volunteered by me, and it is for just that reason that nowadays I withdraw $100 in used fivers from the ATM every couple of months and use it for various tip-like services.

There should be no objection to this at all. My most recent figures (2003) for owning and running a car came to about $3,000 per year, excluding gasoline, so by not owning a car I am saving $3,000 per year, roughly $60 per week, or (at my current rate) about twelve deliveries. I pressed $5 into Kyle's hand every time he rolled up with $100 of groceries I'd paid for earlier in the day down to Swyers groceries, and if I ever get material delivered from Swyers hardware again, I shall press $5 into Howard's hand, because I think he doesn't get that much out of the $5 delivery fee that Swyers Hardware used to charge before C***d^#^#.

Back in the day I would lease a car from Enterprise, visit one client in the morning, treat a second to lunch, and visit a third in the afternoon. Then I'd phone Norma and tell her I'd pick her up and we'd do a bit of heavy-shopping at No Frills before going out to supper some place that wasn't on the subway line, then drop her groceries off with her at her place, take my groceries home, and consider that better value at $40 every two months. (annually $240 vs. $3,000)

I am actually quite good at managing money. The $138 (includes taxes) I paid the lawyer has brought in $3,500 from the insurance ompany before any of the other three parties has received a cent. I shall leave it to the accountants to work out my ROI.

Hop to it!

(signed) "McGregor, vegetable, gardener of Bonavista"

P.S. I hope that you took note of MY bonus: "I got a bonus - about two pounds of frozen rabbit livers. Plus two onions from Dave's garden."
C
Last edited by ChrisGreaves on 07 Jan 2021, 18:42, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
07 Jan 2021, 16:56
Wascally wabbits are extra!
extwa, surely?
Cwis

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

awr suawly ?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:
07 Jan 2021, 19:03
awr suawly ?
Mebbe not.
Bonus points if you can find the episode where this deficit is outlined.
Cheers (and gwins)
Chris

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

There's a compendium explaining Mr. Fudd's problem with "r's"?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:
07 Jan 2021, 20:00
There's a compendium explaining Mr. Fudd's problem with "r's"?
If Kevin Stroud doesn't know about it, well, well ..., I'll be very surprised.
Of course you don't have to listen to all 150 hours of MP3; you can use Hans's cute " site: " search trick and locate the episode text in the transcripts or in the comments pages. That should cut you time down to about one hour :flee: :evilgrin:
Cheers
Chris