Share a net worked drive

Networking, connecting to the internet, wi-fi and home entertainment
E_OGRADY
2StarLounger

Share a net worked drive

Post by E_OGRADY »

I am doing something wrong
On my Notebook I open My Computer, left click on the drive, right click the select Sharing and Security
Tell the lie that i understand and select share this file (I guess that also means drive) and give it a name My Notebook
I then check the box "Allow network users to change my files."
Sharing ViewView.gif
I then go to my Desktop open Explorer and can see the notebook
Explorer View.gif
However when I try to access any files I get the following
Deny message.gif
Can you share complete drives or must you select folders from that drive?
My problem is I have gone from Cable Networking to wireless having moved home, My ISP cannot give me the fibre optic and to make the WiFi modem work I cannot have a Cat5e network.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Share a net worked drive

Post by StuartR »

The permissions that you have set are for the network share. This means that people accessing files via that share are allowed to make changes. This does not give them rights to access or modify any specific file, it just means that the network share will not prevent an authorized user from making changes when they access files via the share.

You also need to set permissions on the files and folders, to allow the specific users who will be connecting to the share to have the required access rights.

Firstly you need to make sure you know what username is in use when you connect to the share. To do this you can:
  • Connect to the share from a different computer
  • Right click My Computer on the computer that is sharing the drive
  • Select Manage from the menu
  • Expand "Shared Folders" in the left pane
  • Select Sessions in the left pane
  • Look in the right pane to see what username the remote user has connected with
You can then use Windows Explorer to grant the required file and folder access rights to that username.
StuartR

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

This image that you have posted is for a "My Documents" folder. These folders are protected from other eyes by default, unless one has set them to be shared. The owner of these files and folders must make the access changes on their machine using their user account.

Also there are other issues when using different OS's such as XP, Vista and Windows 7 on the same network.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

E_OGRADY
2StarLounger

Post by E_OGRADY »

DaveA exactly what I want, fortunately both the machines are XP-Pro SP3, you state
The owner of these files and folders must make the access changes on their machine using their user account.
How and where do I set these parameters? Both machines are mine, and I am the only user on both despite different User Account Names, I am trying to collect files off the second hand Notebook that I use while I am trying to move houses. (That story is too long)

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

E_OGRADY wrote:...I am the only user on both despite different User Account Names...
When you connect to the Share do you click on the "different username" link and give the username and password of the remote computer?
StuartR

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Have a look at here http://www.microsoft.com/resources/docu ... x?mfr=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

StuartR wrote:Look in the right pane to see what username the remote user has connected with ..
Hi Stuart.
Please forgive me, I am coming late into this thread.

My Compaq is the main machine; I have hooked up to it two external drives mounted as X: and Y:.
My satellite computer, the Big Beige Box ("BBB") can "see" the networked drives but cannot write to them, which I take to be E_OGRADY's problem.

I have got as far as discovering that I seem to have set up my Windows XP on the BBB with "Guest" as a user.
Ought I to change this, or can I leave it as-is?

I'm asking because it seems to me that if I were to call each and every satellite computer username "Guest" it might make for simpler sharing (Any user named "Guest' gets access).
001.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
He who plants a seed, plants life.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

If you look two columns further over on that screen shot you will see a column titled Guest, with Yes or No for each session. I assume that the session from BBB has Yes in this column. This will be because you did not specify a valid username and password when you connected the share.
StuartR

E_OGRADY
2StarLounger

Post by E_OGRADY »

I am still trying to establish sharing, I have not left the forum.
I have just sold my home, moved in with my partner and am now restricted to wireless broadband and the issues in buying a house.
Thanks to all.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

E_OGRADY wrote:...am now restricted to wireless broadband and the issues in buying a house.
I'm not sure which is more stressful!

Good luck.
StuartR