How to uninstall a home network

Networking, connecting to the internet, wi-fi and home entertainment
E_OGRADY
2StarLounger

How to uninstall a home network

Post by E_OGRADY »

I had a home network of 3 computers, 2 printers and cable internet. I have removed 2 of the computers but the network now has problems in that I cannot see any of the components on My Network Connections nor will the HP Laserjet 2100tn printer work if I select to print and not switch on the printer first, in fact I have to reboot to get control again.
All are connected via a Netgear Access Point (WGR614) but nothing is connected via wireless.
What is the best way to clean the system and re-establish the network to get back to normal, I am shortly moving house and taking the system and will be connecting two new notebooks via wireless.

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Re: How to uninstall a home network

Post by Roderunner »

Sorry I am unable to help, but am interested in your topic and don't know yet how to subscribe without replying.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

E_OGRADY wrote:I had a home network of 3 computers, 2 printers and cable internet. I have removed 2 of the computers but the network now has problems in that I cannot see any of the components on My Network Connections nor will the HP Laserjet 2100tn printer work if I select to print and not switch on the printer first, in fact I have to reboot to get control again.
I wouldn't expect a printer to work or be seen on a network if it wasn't switched on!

Have you any mapped drives to any of the removed computers that may be trying to reconnect?

What operating system?
In XP, there is an option in Windows Explorer to search for network drives - make sure this is not selected:
x.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leif

E_OGRADY
2StarLounger

Post by E_OGRADY »

Thanks Lief
I believe the printer used to work if it was switched on after sending the job, it is in a different location and I used to click print go to the next room switch on the printer and wait and bring the document back.
The operating system is XP-SP3
The folder options are correct.
The option in explorer and sometimes I get a prompt to find the printer but it never works, hence my decision to collapse the network, reset the access point to defaults and start again.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Roderunner wrote:... don't know yet how to subscribe without replying.
A brief answer since this is off-topic: you can subscribe to any thread. There's a link at the bottom of the thread in the default prosilver skin:
x526.png
For the other skins, such as subsilver2, it's at the top:
x525.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Sadly, there really is no concept of "uninstalling" a home network in Windows.
You will need to understand what has been configured, and then configure it the way you want it to behave.

Let's start with the printer.
  • What model of printer is this?
  • How did you configure the printer? Is this something that was done automatically by a vendor's software or manual steps that you took?
  • How is the printer connected to the network? Does it have a fixed IP address or is one assigned by your router?
  • What happens when you try to print? Can you see the print job in the print queue on your PC, or does it generate an error, or does the print job just disappear?
StuartR

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

E_OGRADY wrote:What is the best way to clean the system
Hi "E", you may find something useful in this thread
There again, you may not. :grin:
He who plants a seed, plants life.