File Transfering both Wired and Wirelessly.

Networking, connecting to the internet, wi-fi and home entertainment
hlewton
PlatinumLounger

File Transfering both Wired and Wirelessly.

Post by hlewton »

I may not be using all the correct terms, but I hope you understand what I am trying to say and then to ask.

My computers are Win 10 computers and I use a Windows Explorer file extension called My Folders to transfer my data files from my main computer to external drives hooked to that computer and then to other computers in my network. For years every time I would send these files to any of those devises my desktop icons would “refresh” themselves. I replaced the video board in the computer thinking that a faster refresh speed would help but it did not, the icons still “refreshed” themselves every time I transferred a file.

I had been using a Netgear Nighthawk wireless router with a Netgear extender to get a signal throughout my home. The only way Netgear support was able to set it up so I had somewhat reliable WiFi was to have two separate names for my WiFi; 1 from the Nighthawk wireless router and one from the Netgear extender; it was the same name with “-ext” at the end of it. I don’t know if any of this matters but here is what is happening now.

Three days ago I had an Eero mesh WiFi installed in my home. I now get excellent downloads speeds throughout my home where that never happened with Netgear on a reliable basis.

When I transfer files, as mentioned above, my desktop icons no longer “refresh” themselves. There have been no changes in any of my computer hookups except a new Eero mesh Wifi replaced the Netgear WiFi.

The way my system is wired I have an Internet modem, not a wireless one, from my service provider and an Ethernet cable then hooks that to the wireless router. From there another Ethernet cable runs to a high-speed switch. From this switch all my computers and printers are attached by more Ethernet cables. Been this way for years.

So here is my question; I am fairly certain that the new Eero mesh WiFi is the reason my desktop icons no longer “refresh” themselves but why would this be? I mean I could understand it if the network speed were the reason when transferring from one computer to another on the network but the icons do not “refresh” themselves even when transferring to external drives hooked to the same computer and before they did.

I do not have a problem; I would just like to understand this.

Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: File Transfering both Wired and Wirelessly.

Post by stuck »

I can't help you with your understanding but for clarity is this the utility that you are using:
https://www.coretechnologies.com/products/MyFolders/

Ken

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Re: File Transfering both Wired and Wirelessly.

Post by hlewton »

stuck wrote:I can't help you with your understanding but for clarity is this the utility that you are using:
https://www.coretechnologies.com/products/MyFolders/

Ken
Yes that is the utility I am using. I used to use FileTarget but, I believe, it was somewhere around Win 7 when it quit working for Windows. I found that MyFolders utility then and have been using it since. Not sure if someone here recommended it or if I found it by searching the Net but it does the job for me.
Regards,
hlewton