DOCSIS 3.0 vs DOCSIS3.1

Networking, connecting to the internet, wi-fi and home entertainment
BobH
UraniumLounger

DOCSIS 3.0 vs DOCSIS3.1

Post by BobH »

This might belong in hardware, but it really is a networking issue, I think.

Can someone please explain to me the difference between these versions of cable modem products. I suspect it is a firmware difference, but I don't know enough about cable modems to speak about them.

I found the information in the quote below. In reading this, it looks like 3.1 is in preparation for very high speed bandwidth. I don't have a connection that will run that fast (600 Mbps Internet download) and don't have cable entertainment at all.

My SIL sent me a new Arris Surfboard cable modem that is DOCSIS 3.0 compliant. It is the exact same device he runs from the same ISP albeit in a town 45 miles away. He has not problems. Before opening the (gift) box, I want to be sure I can use it without causing harm. The ISP's tech told me yesterday that I should get a 3.1 compliant modem; however there is a significant difference in price - and I can't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Can anyone advise me?
DOCSIS 3.1 uses OFDM instead of the current 6 Mhz wide channel spacing used for cable modems and digital TV channels over the last decade plus. These carriers will be of a much higher modulation capable of providing up to 10Gbps on the downstream and 1Gbps on the upstream. If and when the FULL DUPLEX DOCSIS 3.1 specification is certified, the Upstream speeds will also be capable of 10Gbps.

There are also improvements to QoS, error correction, cable modem energy efficiency, etc. The main point is more, higher throughput.

This requires a huge upgrade for the cable companies, as the current CMTS architecture does not support D3.1 and all those devices will have to be upgraded to a CCAP. - https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-diffe ... -0-and-3-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016