Laptop Restore DVDs

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Laptop Restore DVDs

Post by Bigaldoc »

I've mentioned elsewhere that I've been working on a friend's laptop for her. It's a few years old and the hard drive crashed. Since she had NOT burned the recovery DVD as instructed, I had to order one from Toshiba. She also had never done a backup to an external drive.

I now have her machine ready to turn over to her, including a copy of Macrium's backup (incl. boot disk!) and an external USB drive. Everything eventually turned out OK.

But during the restoration process I can't help but wonder. This Toshiba restoration DVD is for THIS model laptop! So, I wonder why, during the restoration the doggone thing reboots MULTIPLE times to install drivers for the video, touch pad, sound, and on and on... You would think the restoration DVD would have an "image" that it could restore in one pass.

Just sayin' ...

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Re: Laptop Restore DVDs

Post by Roderunner »

I think its standard practice to reboot after any driver installation.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Roderunner wrote:I think its standard practice to reboot after any driver installation.
Yeah, but... my point is that IF they had made an "IMAGE" of the FINISHED installation, drivers and all, NO rebooting would be necessary. Restoring an IMAGE is a one pass operation.

To make matters even more boring and take up a lot of time, a good deal of the "install and reboot" is caused by all the TRIAL software they install to make money - Office, Works, etc. ad nauseam...

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

My solution of decrapifying my 2 pc's pre installed with Vista H Prem was to buy each one an upgrade copy of Win7. Then I found I could have got a family pack of 3 for less. Fools and their money are easily parted. No confimation please.
gdpit_com_96762789_544.gif
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.