Browser Speeds

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Browser Speeds

Post by Bigaldoc »

Since installing the latest levels recently of Firefox (preferred), Chrome (curiosity), and already having IE 8, I wondered about the "speed" of each. Realizing that there are MANY factors that may or may not be reliable in this matter, I ran a speed test on each. Yes I know my machine, my ISP, internet traffic and other things impact such tests. But from my non-technician's standpoint, I don't see much difference in the ability of each to deliver pages to my screen.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Browser Speeds

Post by HansV »

SpeedTest measures the speed of your internet connection, that should not depend on your browser.

Browsers do differ in the speed with which they render complex web pages with many graphical elements and JavaScript. When Google first released Chrome, it boasted a faster JavaScript engine than Internet Explorer and Firefox. Microsoft and Mozilla have reacted by improving the JavaScript engine in their latest releases.
Also, Internet Explorer lagged behind the other two in support for newer HTML elements; this has at least partly been addressed in Internet Explorer 9.
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

OK, I get that. Can you suggest a page or pages that would constitute a good "stop watch" rendering test? By that I mean just looking at the second hand on my clock or watch and nothing highly sophisticated which I don't have.

It's easy enough to have all three browsers running at the same time.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I did a quick Google search but didn't find anything that looked suitable.
Best wishes,
Hans

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Try the speed test several times with the same browser. You will find much more variability in your broadband line speed than between browsers!
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Yes John, I realize that. And you can see it in the sample graphic I posted within minutes of one another.

Hans, I can't find a nice page to test with either, so I'm just gonna forget it. I was trying some "regular" pages, like ESPN and others that I know typically have video, graphics and a fair amount of javascript. But ( :grin: ) they all load so rapidly that I can't even begin to watch a second hand on my clock. A waste of my time AND yours. Thanks...

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

There are many sites that give statistics for speed comparisons. I would have thought it quite difficult to replicate these tests, especially when each browser might have different add-ons.

I think the best test is to measure you own blood pressure :aflame:
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

agibsonsw wrote:I think the best test is to measure you own blood pressure :aflame:
Brilliant! That is perhaps the best benchmark available.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Microsoft, for example, has quite many tests at: http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

To pick just one random: Flying Images, http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/Perfo ... fault.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I guess they'll favour IE, as Mozilla's Kraken (JavaScript benchmark) probably favours Fx, but who knows; I haven't tested them. But I agree with Hans, speed in this case is what's happening when the bits have arrived, or as they are arriving. As we know, it's quite complicated to compare; one news paper here completely redesigned their site, and it's now much faster, all other things being equal, more or less, same old Fx 3.6 etc. But that we already knew, that sites can make a difference. Anyhow, there probably are many test pages out there.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

As you guess, the Microsoft test site is heavily biased to show off aspects in which IE9 excels...
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

HansV wrote:As you guess, the Microsoft test site is heavily biased to show off aspects in which IE9 excels...
They wouldn't do something like that......would they? :evilgrin:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.