Google Maps Problem

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Google Maps Problem

Post by Bigaldoc »

I don't how many of you use Google Maps, but if you do: are you having any trouble with it being very, very slow to respond, if at all? For the past couple of weeks, I enter an address and it takes forever to complete, if it ever does. Example attached from this morning for a local (Lexington) address. It never would complete and I killed it. The status bar at the bottom of my browser says it's doing something, but ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Google Maps Problem

Post by HansV »

I've noticed it too recently. I think it's a ploy by Google to get you to use Chrome - there are rumors that Google Maps is running slow on Internet Explorer and Firefox, but still as fast as ever on Chrome... :evilgrin:

(I notice "Al's Bar" in the upper left part of the screenshot...)
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Ahhh, that's funny! Purely coincidence! I mainly use Google maps because of its street view. I was trying to get a clip of a business front to assist a friend in locating the place "on sight."

I also sometimes use: Flash Earth as well.

After making that post, I tried for the first time: Bing Maps and it comes pretty close to street view but doesn't actually get down on ground level. I might give it a few more tries to get the hang of it.

I'm gonna now go try that address in Chrome to see how it does there. Thanks Hans.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Boy, you and the rumors "seem to be" correct, Hans! I ran Chrome and then Maps and tried a couple of addresses, including the one from early this morning.

Fast, clear and very responsive. Not much we can do about this "ploy" is there, except maybe boycott Google... :grin:

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote: I think it's a ploy by Google to get you to use Chrome
Been there. Blogged about that: Can a stealth salesman be that far away?
He who plants a seed, plants life.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Bigaldoc wrote:...Not much we can do about this "ploy" is there...
Call me paranoid but I've long been suspicious of Google and I've never really bought into their 'do no evil' mantra. They are a business and like every other business on the planet that means they need to make money.

Ken

rettingr
StarLounger

Post by rettingr »

Bigaldoc wrote:...except maybe boycott Google... :grin:
Maybe you will be getting YOUR address removed from Google maps...

Me thinks this is the problem with the slowness. Every person that has ever complained about Google is getting their plot on Earth removed, creating a black hole. The more complaints, the more holes. Eventually, everyone will be complaining and then the Big G will strike with the only system that will run the entIRE EARTH! Oh Lord, me believes I feel my little plot disappearing as I post.......... GOODBYE CRuel world........
Randy

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I shouldn't do this, but I will anyway just in case someone else reads this problem. Here are two clips (reduced in size) of a residence of a friend in a nearby town, one from Firefox and the other Google Chrome. Assuming the Google camera that took the shot was one and the same, it tends to confirm Hans' hypothesis about the bias towards Chrome. The photo is not good to start with but the blur in Fx is inexcusable.
2011-03-07_141629.jpg
2011-03-07_141539.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

ChrisGreaves wrote:Been there. Blogged about that: Can a stealth salesman be that far away?
ooh, Opera didn't like that link...

IE and Firefox don't care. Web Standards, who needs 'em
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Bigaldoc wrote:...the blur in Fx is inexcusable
:whisper: Is it me or is there an echo in here? Listen...
stuck wrote:Call me paranoid but I've long been suspicious of Google and I've never really bought into their 'do no evil' mantra. They are a business and like every other business on the planet that means they need to make money.

Ken
:evilgrin:

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

So.... should we start on Facebook and all of the other "New Era" stuff that threatens to take over the world as we knew it or just ignore it and grow old gracefully ??

Personally, I've opted for the latter. Less stress.
If life gives you melons,
You may be dyslexic.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Doc Watson wrote:... Personally, I've opted for the latter. Less stress.
Me too, Doc!

There's lots of 'em as we all know: Google, Facebook, Twitter, MICROSOFT, and I won't get into some that would be "no-no" here in The Lounge!

We just have to be careful in everything we do and "protect" ourselves in whatever fashion is appropriate. :innocent:

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Bigaldoc wrote:I don't how many of you use Google Maps, but if you do: are you having any trouble with it being very, very slow to respond, if at all?
No problems over here, with Fx; it's not extremely speedy, but it's quite quick. And I can move through Stockholm at street level a lot quicker than I can drive. :laugh: (On the other hand, we have two more maps here, with street views as well, so there are some options, for major cities.)

It's quite possible that there is a difference between Fx and Chrome; I have not tried the latter, but I've heard that it's a bit quicker doing some things, so why not their maps. But as I said, I have no problem at all using Google Maps with Fx; but usually I don't enter an address, I just move around. Also, I usually don't move around in satellite view all the time, many times, but not all the time, since that can slow it down quite a bit. Most of the time photos are only interesting when I've found what I want to view. As with streaming video and other things were delays are quickly noticed, perhaps it could be related to Internet speed, server load and general congestion or something. But trying another browser at the same time would rule out most of that. And I think you have a quite speedy connection, Al, so I don't know.

Fx 3.6.15; Flash Player 10.2.152.32.
2011-03-09_A.jpg
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

silverback
5StarLounger

Post by silverback »

Al
I don't know if you are still having trouble with Google Maps?

I posted a problem I had with a particular website in this posting. Researching this, I discovered quite a few others having this 'hang up' problem. Since I've fixed that problem, Google Maps is running without the long wait for bits to be filled in.

In the details about your router, there is this hidden page. On that page, I changed the value of "Maximum incomplete TCP/UDP sessions number from same host" from 10 to 30. You can read explanations about what this doohickey is by Hans and Stuart in my other posting.

If the change doesn't work, you can easily change it back again, of course.
Hope this helps
Silverback

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I've been following along on your thread but didn't know it might be related to my maps question.

The link to your router's hidden setting page doesn't work here because it's a local link. But I've been through all the screens in my Linksys and can't find anything about the topic. If it doesn't reveal anything private, perhaps you could take a screen shot instead. If not, no sweat...

I'm gonna make another pass however, because I just picked up on Hans' phrase about "denial of service" and I think I did see something about that in my router. Thanks for posting!

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

As an aside, at the time of the original discussion in this thread, in March of this year, I frequently noticed Google Maps being slow on Internet Explorer. I haven't had the problem for some time now. I don't know whether this is due to the switch from IE8 to IE9 or that Google has changed something on their side...
Best wishes,
Hans

silverback
5StarLounger

Post by silverback »

Al
I've found another way in on my router details. It's under Security | Firewall | Intrusion Detection and it's the DoS Detect Criteria set. The item is shown by the arrow.

Hope this helps
Silverback

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Thanks to both. I've got to do some looking later today.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

I agree with Argos, that I too haven't had any trouble with Google Maps and Firefox 5. I'm usually on a 9+ Mbps cable line, but am temporarily on a 2 Mbps ADSL line, and, yes, with that the satellite maps do take somewhat longer to render... (Who remembers the IBM 2701 Transmission Control Unit providing 300 baud connections?)
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

John Gray wrote:... (Who remembers the IBM 2701 Transmission Control Unit providing 300 baud connections?)
Don't recall that one, John, but my first "communication" was in the 300 baud modem days where one could read the lines of incoming text much faster than they rendered on screen. Oh, how far we've come and how spoiled I've (we've?) gotten!