Netflix and Jack Frost

BobH
UraniumLounger

Netflix and Jack Frost

Post by BobH »

As a Christmas gift, I got my wife a small home theater system that included a Blu-ray disk player. This led to a subscription to Netflix, first to get a steady supply of movies for her but that has grown to viewing instantly. That, in turn, led me to find an abundance of cop shows and mysteries and old Masterpiece Theater dramas and other favorite tv fare.

For the last couple of weeks, I have been reacquainting myself with Jack Frost. No, not the wintertime sprite of legend but he of the Denton CID ("A Touch of Frost"). Noting that there are many here from the UK, I thought someone could tell me if the show (starring David Jason, I believe) is still in production; and, if not, when production ended. Perhaps it is my anglophilic nature, but I much prefer this show to any American cop show I've ever seen (with the possible exception of NYPD Blue).

I like it so much that I googled to try and find the city of Denton in the UK only to be frustrated, which leaves me to surmise that the location is as fictional as the characters. This is perfectly natural and to be expected, except that the setting must resonate with some audience in order to be accepted. That led me to speculating about whereabouts in the UK the scene is set. Because, not being a native or long-term resident of the UK (only a rarely occasional visitor), I don't pick up on dialect, speech, or geographic references. I can only guess.

I know that it's not set in London and I don't hear any Geordie accents in the regulars. I do hear Scottish speech, (I think) but on the whole I think it is not set in Scotland. I think the scene is not so far North as Birmingham nor does it seem to be set in the Dales (as was the Herriott-based "All Creatures Great and Small".

If there is a real geographic location for the show (and I've been too thick to notice), I would appreciate someone telling me. Otherwise, I'd like to know how close my observations are. I've narrowed down my guesses to a swathe of the countryside starting in the area around Oxford (but the scenery doesn't seem to support that) and continuing up toward Leeds or Manchester.

At any rate, I am indebted to the British tastes and sensibilities because they must have driven the production of this series which I find most entertaining. The plot lines are sufficiently complex, yet credible, to entertain; but I think I like the show as much for its display of British scenes, people, habits and customs which are foreign to me, thus more intriguing.

:thankyou:

TIA
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Re: Netflix and Jack Frost

Post by HansV »

See A Touch of Frost (TV series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

It mentions that the series ended last year; David Jason felt it was a good moment for Jack Frost to retire.
Denton is indeed fictional; it is believed to be in Oxfordshire, but the series was shot in West Yorkshire.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thank you, Hans!

Can't think why I didn't google for a wiki on the show. That was exactly the information I wanted.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

steveh
SilverLounger

Post by steveh »

Hi Bob

Good choice, if you get to see only fools and horses and/or open all hours you will see how versatile an actor David is, although I expect you would not get the humour. On detective series have you ever had the chance to take a look at Morse?
Steve
http://www.freightpro-uk.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”
― Benjamin Franklin

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

steveh wrote:Hi Bob

Good choice, if you get to see only fools and horses and/or open all hours you will see how versatile an actor David is, although I expect you would not get the humour. On detective series have you ever had the chance to take a look at Morse?
Hello Steve!

I've seen Mr. Jason on Open All Hours. That series was carried by our PBS (Public Broadcasting Service) station for awhile. I loved the ongoing gags about the cash till and the nurse across the street. I don't believe that I have seen Only Fools and Horses, but it might be just a bad memory, too. You are correct. Some of the humour goes right over my head.

I have seen the Inspector Morse series and part of the one that followed, Inspector Lewis. I think the sequel was after John Thaw's death (actor who played Morse) when they promoted his sergeant, Lewis (played by Kevin Whateley) was promoted and took over. I liked them both.

I also enjoy the Inspector Lynley series and the Foyle's War series.

I think you have better actors, better directors, and better production companies than we have in America. I think here they've lost much interest in the crafts and go strictly commercial, although I still enjoy the reruns of NYPD Blue. I've watched and enjoyed a lot of British drama and comedy over the last few decades. I was totally absorbed by Upstairs Downstairs, but American soap operas turn my stomach.

We now have Hugh Laurie doing the series, House, over here. I've enjoyed his work since the days of Bertie Wooster and Jeeves. His acting is superb but I think the show's quality would have been better if produced in the UK.

If you have other favourites or suggestions for shows I should hunt down, please let me know.

Cheers,
Bob
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

If you're interested in an (old) police series about another Jack, shot largely outdoors, often in parts of London which have since been 'developed', you might be interested in The Sweeney. I have no idea whether this sort of thing gets repeated anywhere in the US, but episodes often crop up on UK Freeview on Channel One (Freeview channel 20).

And if your interest extends to hospital dramas, there is the significantly surreal and often rude Green Wing. But you may need a British sense of humour to appreciate it fully...
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thank you, again, John. You are most kind.

I'll see if I can find those series through Netflix or other source.

Thanks again.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

wasbit
2StarLounger

Post by wasbit »

The Darling Buds of May based on a play by HE Bates was another english favourite starrring David Jason, Pam Ferris, Phillip Franks & Catherine Zeta-Jones.
It coined the catchphrase "Perfick" or "Perfick just perfick".

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Darling_Buds_of_May" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Regards
wasbit

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

wasbit wrote:The Darling Buds of May based on a play by HE Bates was another english favourite starrring David Jason, Pam Ferris, Phillip Franks & Catherine Zeta-Jones.
It coined the catchphrase "Perfick" or "Perfick just perfick".

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Darling_Buds_of_May" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thank you very much. Those are available to me through Netflix and are on order.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Bob, if you enjoy British police procedurals, you might want to keep an eye out for Midsomer Murders starring John Nettles as DCI Tom Barnaby. It's a drama series that is a little less edgy than Frost. There must be at least 10 seasons of shows out there. I know a few PBS stations have broadcast it, but not the network. Perhaps Netflix has it.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thank you, Paul.

I found the MisSomer Murders on Netflix, too. Unlike Frost, they are not available for instant viewing. I'll have to get one DVD at a time.

Thanks again.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)