The Log Cabin gets a face lift

Jezza
5StarLounger

The Log Cabin gets a face lift

Post by Jezza »

After many years Mrs Jezza and I are refurbishing our Log Cabin in deepest, darkest Kent. The planning has been somewhat haphazard as we both have different visions of what the place should look like but one thing we do agree on is the use of pictures that we want to decorate our living room with.

We are both lovers of prints and sketches, I liking Victorian sketches but now Mrs Jezza has re-introduced me to the Georgian sketches by William Hogarth, one being the famous Gin Lane shown below where we would love to have a couple scattered among others on the wall. The questions is that I can go to a shop and buy a copy of this image for £X.00 or I can go to the interweb thingy, copy the image and print it myself....who indeed holds the copyright of sucha picture?

1) The owner to the rights of the print who sold me it in the shop
2) The web site
3) or because it is over a certain age is anyone's

The chances are I will probably buy a print and frame it but it is one of "those" questions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jerry
I’ll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there’s evidence of any thinking going on inside it

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: The Log Cabin gets a face lift

Post by viking33 »

My God, Jerry. Would you really hang one of those on your wall? :flee: :grin:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Jezza
5StarLounger

Post by Jezza »

Mrs Jezza is very persuasive Bob...very persuasive
Jerry
I’ll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there’s evidence of any thinking going on inside it

Jezza
5StarLounger

Post by Jezza »

....it is also to be hung to distract the viewer from the many animal heads and Disney cartoon character prints.....afterall we Brits do have some taste.
Jerry

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Seeing that the print was produced in 1751 (or is that 1731), I think you can safely assume that it is in the public domain. I do believe that copyright in most Commonwealth countries is limited to the life of the author plus 75 years. Even in the USA where they keep extending copyright protection to maintain Disney's monopoly on Mickey Mouse, protection is limited to Disney's life plus 90 years.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

BigKev
StarLounger

Post by BigKev »

Jezza wrote:....it is also to be hung to distract the viewer from the many animal heads and Disney cartoon character prints.....afterall we Brits do have some taste.
Not to mention the picture of the dogs playing pool. :grin:

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Jezza wrote:...who indeed holds the copyright of sucha picture?
Interesting that you should ask such a question: Engraving Copyright Act 1734 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - sometimes known as Hogarth's Act...
Leif

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Jezza wrote:The questions is that I can go to a shop and buy a copy of this image for £X.00 or I can go to the interweb thingy, copy the image and print it myself....who indeed holds the copyright of sucha picture?
Notwithstanding the various interpretations of the various copyright acts in the various legislative levels of the various countries, your decision might be influenced more by aesthetics than legalities.
Pour me another glass of whine and I'll explain.

Thank You.

The print(s) is to hold pride of place in your dining-room, right?
As such you want it to be of the highest quality.
Further it represents an insignificant proportion of your renovation costs.

It makes sense to pay extra $$$ and have a custom printing/framing shop use their valuable expertise to deliver to you a properly executed reproduction of high quality; it ought to be of a higher quality than any amateur could effect.

Back in 1971 (?) My then wife and I pasted copies of The Australian's winning entries in their advertising competition on our white-washed dining room walls, but then the house was v. rustic and pasted papers seemed to be the decor, also all the rage amongst the young marrieds discovering that you could bake your own bread at home.

Friday I entrusted the printing and frame-selection of a set of photos to a graphic-artist buddy (it cost me a breakfast), because they are a present for a very good friend, and my buddy has more sense than I about beveled edges to mats(1), etc. etc. etc.

Spend the dough and get it done right.

Re the legalities, there has to be, buried in the bowels of Kent, a branch of the BCS whose forums would happily answer your questions about copyright, and who would be well-informed on Hogarth, I would think.

(1) Yes, mats really do matter!
He who plants a seed, plants life.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
Jezza wrote:
(1)[/sup] Yes, mats really do matter!
That's right. Particularly when wrestling. Much better than bare floor! :grin:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

johbot
2StarLounger

Post by johbot »

winning entries in their advertising competition on our white-washed dining room walls
Ah! that was your error. Those pages would have yellowed with age. We have used pages from the 1980's Airmail Guardian that was on the bleached rice paper. They have not discoloured and still provide fascinating reading.

steveh
SilverLounger

Post by steveh »

Jezza wrote:After many years Mrs Jezza and I are refurbishing our Log Cabin in deepest, darkest Kent. The planning has been somewhat haphazard as we both have different visions of what the place should look like but one thing we do agree on is the use of pictures that we want to decorate our living room with.

We are both lovers of prints and sketches, I liking Victorian sketches but now Mrs Jezza has re-introduced me to the Georgian sketches by William Hogarth, one being the famous Gin Lane shown below where we would love to have a couple scattered among others on the wall. The questions is that I can go to a shop and buy a copy of this image for £X.00 or I can go to the interweb thingy, copy the image and print it myself....who indeed holds the copyright of sucha picture?

1) The owner to the rights of the print who sold me it in the shop
2) The web site
3) or because it is over a certain age is anyone's

The chances are I will probably buy a print and frame it but it is one of "those" questions.
We have a set of the Rakes Progress in print form in our dining room and they are a great talking point when we entertain

http://www.tate.org.uk/britain/exhibiti ... gress.shtm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The story of rags to riches to rags, loyalty etc. gets everybody going.

I can recommend this site for prints http://www.worldgallery.co.uk/scripts/s ... ry=hogarth" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steve
http://www.freightpro-uk.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”
― Benjamin Franklin

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

steveh wrote:We have a set of the Rakes Progress in print form in our dining room and they are a great talking point when we entertain
In late autumn, with the trees bare and their leaves covering the lawn, I and my guests spend many happy hours watching the wife and the rake's progress as she gathers them into tidy piles.
Leif

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

:laugh:
Best wishes,
Hans

steveh
SilverLounger

Post by steveh »

Leif wrote:
steveh wrote:We have a set of the Rakes Progress in print form in our dining room and they are a great talking point when we entertain
In late autumn, with the trees bare and their leaves covering the lawn, I and my guests spend many happy hours watching the wife and the rake's progress as she gathers them into tidy piles.
:grin:

Brave when there's distance between you and the missus then Leif
Steve
http://www.freightpro-uk.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”
― Benjamin Franklin

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

I'm sure she'll get her revenge... :grin:
Leif

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

Leif's link offers a link to the Imperial Copyright Act of 1911 which seems to have the final say on this issue from a legal perspective.

From a strictly moral perspective, let your conscience be your guide. :flee: :laugh:
If life gives you melons,
You may be dyslexic.