Shortened URLs

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Shortened URLs

Post by Bigaldoc »

Since this subject was talked about a little here recently, there's an interesting article by Fred Langa in this "special edition" of the Windows Secrets ezine: Avoid the security risk of shortened URLs

HansV
Administrator

Re: Shortened URLs

Post by HansV »

Useful tips, thanks!
Best wishes,
Hans

wasbit
2StarLounger

Post by wasbit »

Bigaldoc wrote:Since this subject was talked about a little here recently, there's an interesting article by Fred Langa in this "special edition" of the Windows Secrets ezine: Avoid the security risk of shortened URLs
Useful tips, thanks!
Agreed.

I think he said he got his information from Joshua Long (JoshMeister)

- http://security.thejoshmeister.com/2009 ... nyurl.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards
wasbit
Regards
wasbit

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

wasbit wrote:I think he said he got his information from Joshua Long (JoshMeister)
Now that fella sounds like a reputable "authority" on the subject - he's working on his doctorate of business, IT security!
:cheers: :clapping:

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

Using Opera (the beta of 11 that I mentioned over in the other browsers forum), hovering the mouse over the url gives the full address in the status bar.

[Later] : OOPS, I seem to be mistaken about that... :sad:
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

jonwallace wrote:Using Opera (the beta of 11 that I mentioned over in the other browsers forum), hovering the mouse over the url gives the full address in the status bar.

[Later] : OOPS, I seem to be mistaken about that... :sad:
OK, now I'm using Opera 11 with the Unshorten extension which, uhm, unshortens extensions, and can replicate the behaviour that I thought was default above, or replace the URL inline with the real one. You choose.

Opera is available here and unshorten can be found here.
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube