How the Apple Watch Ejects Water in Slow Mo - The Slow Mo Guys

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

How the Apple Watch Ejects Water in Slow Mo - The Slow Mo Guys

Post by ChrisGreaves »

This YouTube video shows slow-motion action of an Apple watch, which has been submerged in water, using its teeny-tiny speaker to pump water out of the watch case.
I didn't know that that could be done. The last time I dropped a phone in water :toilet: the phone went dead (natch!) and I took the battery out of the phone and let it air-dry over 24 hours. My latest smart phone is so smart it won't allow me to remove the battery. :sad:

Now here's a phone that USES its battery power to rid itself of the bulk of the water.

I am not surprised that "Apple overtakes Samsung as world's biggest phonemaker"

(signed) "Muggins" of Bonavista
He who plants a seed, plants life.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Re: How the Apple Watch Ejects Water in Slow Mo - The Slow Mo Guys

Post by John Gray »

I'm not sure quite where on my list of criteria for buying a new mobile phone would be any ability for it to eject water automatically when removed therefrom.
Being "waterproof" strikes me as more of an advantage...
No, Chris, IP67 does not refer to an IP address...!
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

John Gray wrote:
17 Jan 2024, 13:55
Being "waterproof" strikes me as more of an advantage...
Hi John.
Quite so.
But I think that the Apple watch must be waterproof, in the sense that the guts of the device continues to function while the case still holds water.
I am tempted to email Gavin and ask him to time how long it takes until the battery flats while pumping out water while the watch is underwater.

That the guts (battery and circuits) are waterproof are evidenced by their ability to continue to operate as designed. The current to the loudspeaker flows through wires (duh!) which provide the seal or water barrier.

Imagine plunging the watch into the kitchen sink while washing dishes, oops!, pulling your hand out, twiddling a knob, and then being able to hear snatches of Handel's Water Music between burps as the speaker "cone" spurts out gobfuls of water.

That is amazing, no?
Cheers, Chris

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
17 Jan 2024, 14:06
...That is amazing...
Indeed it is but it's not enough to make me run out and buy one.

Ken

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

stuck wrote:
17 Jan 2024, 18:27
Indeed it is but it's not enough to make me run out and buy one.
Ken, I'm with you on not doing this too. I haven't worn a watch since 1983.
Cheers, Chris :snore:

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

"Waterproof" does not describe an absolute.

Something that does not allow water to penetrate it at atmospheric pressure probably will admit water at one or more atmospheric pressures of force. Divers know that every 33 feet of depth underwater is an additional atmospheric pressure. At sea level there is 1 ap; at 34 feet there are 2 ap's; etc.

I wonder what level of protection a new Apple watch or iPhone has against water intrusion. I also wonder if they would even state this information as it surely would provoke lawsuits in this litigious age.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:
17 Jan 2024, 21:14
"Waterproof" does not describe an absolute.
I am thinking that in this case ( :groan: ) it does.
I suspect that the working part of the watch is all solid-state, and it is encased in a, well, case.
We might say that my LGK30 phone is four inches by two inches by 1/3 of an inch, but that is really just the case.
I truly did drop it in a bowl of water, fished it out, and then turned it on 24 hours later without a problem.
That puzzled me; I thought that total immersion would short-circuit at high current and fry the electronics.

I suspect that nowadays the working part is solid all the way through, with a pair of wires leading out to the speaker cone.

I can suppose that there are two other wires leading outside the solid-sate and into the case, and that these two wires short-circuit when the watch is immersed, which triggers a switch that shuts down the workings before they fry themselves, and bring in the "water-pump" work of the watch until that second circuit goes dead (because inside-the-case has dried out) at which point the original workings take over.

If my supposition is correct, then there are thousands of smartphones at the bottom of canals, creeks, rock pools etc abandoned by their owners who assumed, as would I, that once immersed, the phone was toast.

Mind you, I'm not sure about all this; it's been a long day.
Cheers, Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
17 Jan 2024, 23:00
I can suppose that there are two other wires leading outside the solid-sate and into the case, and that these two wires short-circuit when the watch is immersed, which triggers a switch that shuts down the workings ...
(later) I re-watched the video; around 0m28s Gav says "went into water-lock mode" C