I didn't know I'd seen this sea bird

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

I didn't know I'd seen this sea bird

Post by stuck »

It’s cold and wet here today so I’m browsing photos I took on our New Zealand trip back in 2012.

I came across a picture I took from the ferry as we as we crossed over from the North Island to the South Island. At first glance it looked like a mistake, just a shot of empty grey water. Zooming in though revealed a sea bird with distinctive markings on its wings and with a bit of searching I was able to identify it as a Cape Petrel.

Ken
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Graeme
Cosmic Lounger

Re: I didn't know I'd seen this sea bird

Post by Graeme »

Another very fine action shot Ken.

http://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Brilliant
StuartR

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Great!
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

The image is still quite sharp after having zoomed in so much.
Interesting markings. 👍

PS: The height above the water indicates that he has recently filled the tank. :grin:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Rudi wrote:
29 Mar 2023, 03:48
The image is still quite sharp after having zoomed in so much...
The shutter speed was 1/1000th sec so no loss of sharpness due to motion blur. That means any lack of sharpness will be down to the quality of the lens, together with electronic noise from using a high ISO setting (1600 in this case) but those are sort of limitations that can be mitigated by photo editing software. I used DxO PhotoLab v5.9 (inc. it's DeepPRIME noise reduction algorithm) for the RAW to TIFF conversion and then a bit more spit and polish in Affinity Photo v2.0.4.

The original image was taken with a Tamron 55-200mm (non-image stabilised) zoom set at about 100 mm. I guess I didn't zoom to 200 mm because I didn't have time to think and I just grabbed the shot as the bird flew past at speed. Once you take account of the camera sensor crop factor and then the crop on the frame, the focal length of this image is about 850 mm.

Apparently the 'Cape' in 'Cape Petrel' is the Cape of Good Hope. Presumably therefore you've seen these birds?

Ken