Conversion Add-On(s) for Firefox - UPDATE

BobH
UraniumLounger

Conversion Add-On(s) for Firefox - UPDATE

Post by BobH »

Does anyone know of a conversion tool add-on for Firefox? One that handles only currency would suffice, I guess; but an ideal one would allow the user to click on a number, right click on the gadget icon, then make conversion choices with the selected value being the source data and options to determine the output data.

I tried installing Converter and Currency Converter 1.5, but apparently I'm not intelligent enough to figure out how to get them to perform their functions. Yes. I did restart Fx after installation.

This need arose as I was surfing British web sites and trying to compare or understand prices in USD but I figured that the same tool should - in an ideal world - allow one to convert between Celsius and Fahrenheit, metric and decimal, decimal and feet and inches, etc. If anyone knows of one - or can tell me how to use the ones I've tried, I would be very grateful for instruction.

Oh! And while I'm here, can someone explain the VAT to me? I understand that it is a tax paid at point of purchase, but what if the buyer is not a citizen of the country applying the VAT and VAT is included in the sales price? Would , a Texan , have to pay a British VAT, for example? :scratch:

TIA

UPDATE ****************************

The currency converter 1.5 is working now. Don't know why it waited to kick in, but it now gives me the conversion options box.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Re: Conversion Add-On(s) for Firefox - UPDATE

Post by Bigaldoc »

I've never had need for an addon for conversion, since I have two conversion pages bookmarked and use them whenever necessary:

Online conversion of weights and measures

Currency Converter

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, BigAl!

For my, the user-friendliness of a pop converter is what I'm seeking.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

The Windows 7 calculator applet has a built-in converter for weights, volumes, measures etc. Doing foreign currency conversions is different, of course, as the rate of exchange can fluctuate on a minute-by-minute basis. I'm not familiar with the add-on you mention, but reputable FX sites such as the one Big Al mentions or Bloomberg's can provide accurate and current information.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

steveh
SilverLounger

Post by steveh »

BobH wrote:Thanks, BigAl!

For my, the user-friendliness of a pop converter is what I'm seeking.
Hi Bob

I have done a quick Google and this seems to do what you are after https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7908/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - and my web page of choice for conversions, xe.com says it has this toolbar addition for Firefox http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/I ... rter.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

VAT in the UK is currently 17.5% and set to rise to 20% in January, exports to the US are VAT free but I am not sure of how individual websites do or would handle this, why don't you go through and nearly buy something to see what the final invoice looks like?
Steve
http://www.freightpro-uk.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”
― Benjamin Franklin

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

BobH wrote:... Oh! And while I'm here, can someone explain the VAT to me? I understand that it is a tax paid at point of purchase, but what if the buyer is not a citizen of the country applying the VAT and VAT is included in the sales price? Would , a Texan , have to pay a British VAT, for example? ...
It occurred to me this morning that I may have an answer to the "Texan" part of the question although I'm not in Texas.          :kentucky:

I have made, so far, three purchases from Serif Software, a UK company (Serif Company Profile). I was initially surprised that their postal mail shipments came from the UK, including customs declaration statements on the labels. The reason for my surprise was that they do show a USA location somewhere "up East" but evidently don't ship from there.

Anyway, given the prices I paid and the statements that DO NOT show anything that could possibly be VAT, I would agree with Steve that shipments to the USA seem to be VAT free.