Hans

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Re: really????

Post by John Gray »

An example of ALL-CAPS compensation culture? :evilgrin:
[licence-to-print-money not included...]
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

stuck wrote:
04 Oct 2022, 18:19
Is this a joke about a joke?
No Ken.
It is merely confirmation that the parent is more stupid than his own kids.
That is a good sign that we have turned the corner on genetic degradation ...

(later) You can't buy this kind of publicity with fake money.
Cheers, Chris :broke:
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Now you know why we complain of low IQ voters in the US.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

BobH wrote:
04 Oct 2022, 20:59
They're allowed to vote? - they shouldn't even be allowed passports :laugh:
Leif

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Leif wrote:
05 Oct 2022, 06:28
BobH wrote:
04 Oct 2022, 20:59
They're allowed to vote? - they shouldn't even be allowed passports :laugh:
I don't mean to be political, merely curious inquisitive. Is one required to provide ID when voting in the UK?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

BobH wrote:
05 Oct 2022, 16:58
I don't mean to be political, merely curious inquisitive. Is one required to provide ID when voting in the UK?
No. We are very virtuous, and do not subscribe to the alleged saying of one of our neighbouring countries: "Vote early, and vote often"!

Voting can either be done 'in person' at a polling station (usually a nearby school or community hall), or by post (which needs prior organisation, of course). It is not compulsory, and on average 30%-40% of those eligible actually vote, depending on what is being voted for. This gives rise to the cynical statement: "if voting changed anything they'd make it illegal...".
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

I don't know about the UK, but I do know about Australia. I have worked in a voting place for several elections .

When a person voted, they have to give their name and address to a voting official, where it is marked off a printed list, and voting papers handed out. There are procedures for people not on the list. No ID is required.

Lists are collated after the election for duplicate votes and failure to vote - voting is compulsory here (though a valid excuse is usually acceptable and the fine is small).

All votes are manual and paper based - except for recently during the pandemic.

Postal voting and early voting are available.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

GeoffW wrote:
05 Oct 2022, 17:20
When a person voted, they have to give their name and address to a voting official, where it is marked off a printed list, and voting papers handed out. There are procedures for people not on the list. No ID is required. Lists are collated after the election for duplicate votes and failure to vote - voting is compulsory here (though a valid excuse is usually acceptable and the fine is small). All votes are manual and paper based - except for recently during the pandemic. Postal voting and early voting are available.
Close to the Canadian experience. A card is mailed to each voter weeks before, and I take my card to the polling station. Not sure what happens if I don't take the card; maybe driver's license?
Different in Bonavista, of course, where every one knows everyone else. (Post Office: "We KNOWS who y'are!") when I say I will go home to collect identification to claim a parcel ...)
Untitled.jpg
Voting is NOT compulsory in Canada, but in Toronto, every one is trained from birth to express "I would have voted if I knew where the polling station was". Which also suggests that Canadians are born colour blind to the extent that they cannot see bio-hazard yellow signs, eight feet by three feet, outside every school, fire station, library and YM/WCA in Toronto.

Not one of my Canadian Friends voted for Trump as President nor, even more strange, for Doug Ford as Premier of Ontario.

Cheers, Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle