Please stay on the line. Your call is important to us.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Please stay on the line. Your call is important to us.

Post by ChrisGreaves »

So I have three questions about my Bank of Montreal MasterCard account; decided to phone them. Wherever they are nowadays.

Help from BMOM is easy: just dial 18772255266,1,2,1,1,xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx#,5,0,2,5,1 and then wait for sixty to ninety minutes. Took me just under four minutes for that, but at least I can get back to work until they call me back. (I can walk to the local branch of Scotiabank in four minutes, and chat with Sheila, Kim, etc)

I confess that there was a period in my life when I would cut to the chase, and dial the number for a lost or stolen card, to whom I would apologize (old age started at 45 back then!) and they would politely transfer me immediately to the head of the queue in the appropriate department (an in-house transfer so an internal call, you see!), a real live person, somewhere else.

:snore:
Chris
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: Please stay on the line. Your call is important to us.

Post by stuck »

I feel your pain. Recently I had to wait in a phone queue for nearly an hour before I got to speak to a human, who dealt with my question in about 5 mins.

It was worth the wait though because the outcome was that my mother will get a refund of £lots.

Ken

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

"Your call is important to us. Please stay on the line until your call is no longer important to us".

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

GeoffW wrote:
20 Oct 2021, 18:58
"Your call is important to us. Please stay on the line until your call is no longer important to us".
Right On! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

LisaGreen
5StarLounger

Post by LisaGreen »

You can set a speaker phone / loudspeaker on if you're just gong to have to wait.

Worse is being given the runaround! Many years I worked for a large international IT company. I had a VB problem. I thought okay.. middle of the day in the US and we have a microsoft account as big players.. so I called microsoft. They passed me from one department to another getting no support. I got fed up and said so. The woman on the other end asked, have you had any support at all so far. Nothing I said. Her reply was well you can't complain about the support then. True story. And then she hung up. Livid I spoke to a supervisor of some sort and my problem was solved in about 10 mins.

Lisa

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

LisaGreen wrote:
22 Oct 2021, 16:10
You can set a speaker phone / loudspeaker on if you're just gong to have to wait.
This is true, and can work some of the time, but I don't want to sit at the laptop so that I will be able to "click here" when they finally wake up, and I can't work outside in gardening boots because I won't have my notes with me out there.

This will sound weird: After four minutes of pressing digits I was told the wait would be "sixty to ninety minutes". Now I can bike to either supermarket and back in 30 minutes, so a quick supply trip was on the cards, but then they called me back in 20 minutes, so I would have been really ticked off if they had called me as I was bent double tucking my trouser legs into my socks down at Foodland, with ten pounds of groceries in my shoulder-bag, and a head wind!

This is as bad as the Good Old Days when we never knew when our important job deck would be run. We kept a record for a few months; minimum wait was five minutes, maximum was two weeks. We had six programmers on the team, but how could we schedule work when turnaround times were so unpredictable?

Cheers
Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

stuck wrote:
20 Oct 2021, 14:50
I feel your pain. Recently I had to wait in a phone queue for nearly an hour before I got to speak to a human, who dealt with my question in about 5 mins.
Put your hand up if you have ever shuffled forwards in a queue in a bricks-and-mortar, and after twenty minutes it takes the clerk but ten seconds to explain that they can do that only in their office in Mississauga!
Cheers
Chris

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

LisaGreen wrote:
22 Oct 2021, 16:10
Oh no! Then you're just going to have to listen to that horrible hold song, which ALWAYS stops and restarts just before the natural end of the song.

Code: Select all

Repeat("Like me not finishing typing this sent..") 
Until (customer hangs up)
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

jonwallace wrote:
23 Oct 2021, 10:43
... which ALWAYS stops and restarts just before the natural end of the song.
:yep: :clapping:

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

A worldwide issue, Chris.
Recently I had to phone an Australian Government dept from Norway. 'Use the app for quick international answer' they say, so I did. After entering numerous codes the app showed a wait time of 60 minutes on a metered public network.
Glad the call was not urgent :grin:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

RonH wrote:
23 Oct 2021, 11:53
A worldwide issue, Chris.
Recently I had to phone an Australian Government dept from Norway. 'Use the app for quick international answer' they say, so I did. After entering numerous codes the app showed a wait time of 60 minutes on a metered public network.
Glad the call was not urgent :grin:
Golly gee, Ron, you don't know when you are well off!
They promised you a quick answer, and there you were - only 60 minutes!

My wait time was estimated as high as ninety minutes, and was, compared to you, "just down the street from here"
:laugh: :rofl:

Cheers
Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
22 Oct 2021, 19:16
Put your hand up if you have ever shuffled forwards in a queue in a bricks-and-mortar, and after twenty minutes it takes the clerk but ten seconds to explain that they can do that only in their office in Mississauga!
OK.
You can all put your hands down now.
:evilgrin:
Chris