Weather

BobH
UraniumLounger

Weather

Post by BobH »

At the moment, central Texas where I am is 10°F colder than Bonavista, NF. We are at 15°F headed for about 5 overnight then subzero temps Tuesday and maybe Wednesday.

Oh, BTW, we are expecting 5-10" of snow and winds blowing 15 to 20 mph.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

Oliver
2StarLounger

Re: Weather

Post by Oliver »

Hi BobH, that is very unusual for Texas, I imagine the people freaking out. :flee:
I'm in Missouri, the temp is currently 0°F, and the snow hasn't stopped.
Regards,
Oliver
“Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't mean it's useless.” -Thomas Edison

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I think it has been more than 100 years since temps fell this low. We had 8°F overnight and got about 7" of snow. It has not been above freezing since last Thursday and won't be for at least 4 more days. This weather is unheard of for anyone now living in this part of Texas. It's predicted to be below zero tonight.

Our Mister Greaves is basking in 20-something degree temperatures in sunny Bonavista. :grin:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Well here in the Greater Olympia, Washington area, we have been under about 10 inches of snow since last Friday am.
No power outages or tree damage in our area.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Beautiful!
Best wishes,
Hans

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

As awful as snow can be for some, those are very pretty pictures, Dave.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

The wife is the one that took these pictures.
She does get a lot of good shots!
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

BobH wrote:
15 Feb 2021, 01:18
At the moment, central Texas where I am is 10°F colder than Bonavista, NF. We are at 15°F headed for about 5 overnight then subzero temps Tuesday and maybe Wednesday.

Oh, BTW, we are expecting 5-10" of snow and winds blowing 15 to 20 mph.
The problem that Texas has with that sort of weather (as distinct from places like Buena Vista) is that the infrastructure probably isn't up to those sort of extremes. The power grid has certainly had troubles coping. It's possible that many houses can't provide a good source of warmth such as you might have further north.

Hang in there!

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

Screenshot_2021-02-17-21-52-54-15_copy_810x1240.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:
15 Feb 2021, 15:47
Our Mister Greaves is basking in 20-something degree temperatures in sunny Bonavista. :grin:
:sigh:
How many times have I told you to head on up here for a holiday?

I have an electric baseboard heater in the Guest Room now, so if you call me from YYT I can do that thing with the thermostat. (If you call from YYZ that will also give me time to move 800 books from the bed and back into the bookshelves)
I still have twenty jars of pulped pumpkin from Kerry's and from Debbie's Halloween decorations, so there's plenty of tucker, and once the path to the shed is cleared I can bring a 4-gallon flask of ice in early to thaw so we will have plenty of potable water for mugs of tea with which we keep our hands warm!

There are TWO snow-shovels so we can spend a lot of time together chatting while our teeth chatter in unison.

Your loving nephew
Chris
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

DaveA wrote:
15 Feb 2021, 16:33
Well here in the Greater Olympia, Washington area, ...
... living in fantasy land. I'd post photos of the view from inside the house, if it weren't for the snow that is stuck on the outside of the windows from last night's shower of (it couldn't make up its mind) snow and/or sleet, all wind-driven.
I am working on a script for a quadrologue based on this "At last, the 1948 show" effort.

(signed) "lucky" of Bonavista

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

GeoffW wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 21:04
The problem that Texas has with that sort of weather (as distinct from places like Buena Vista) is that the infrastructure probably isn't up to those sort of extremes.
Spot On!
In Jan/Feb 2014 a friend and I spent a month in sunny (hah!) Florida. On the way home we stopped for breakfast some place in Georgia.
The waitress told of her leaving home in her car in the light snow, and using her windscreen washer/wipers.

Instant ice!
Followed by a slamming sound as she ran into the back of the car ahead of her.
As did almost everyone else.

Who in Georgia would think of putting that -40º washer fluid in the little reservoir. Tap water and detergent ("If it were good enough for my father, it's good enough for me")
Do they stock that -40º washer fluid in the stores in Georgia?

Apparently there were collisions all over that area that morning as driver's were confronted with immediate invisibility at the touch of a button.
Who Knew?!

Cheers
Chris

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

FB_IMG_1613685758289.jpg

Oliver
2StarLounger

Post by Oliver »

Be caKeful when driving! :laugh:
Regards,
Oliver
“Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't mean it's useless.” -Thomas Edison

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Some people couldn't cake less!
Best wishes,
Hans

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

Isn’t that a genuine local authority piece of advice ? , - I am sure I heard something similar before. …something like… If they can’t drive carefully due to winter conditions, then let them drive with cake
I am having difficulty logging in with this account just now.
You can find me at DocAElstein also

LisaGreen
5StarLounger

Post by LisaGreen »

That first picture is sooooo lion witch and wardrobe!!

Lisa

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

Doc.AElstein wrote:
19 Feb 2021, 09:44
Isn’t that a genuine local authority piece of advice ? , - I am sure I heard something similar before. …something like… If they can’t drive carefully due to winter conditions, then let them drive with cake
...and maybe a nice cup of coffee in the other hand...
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

After 9 days with temperatures below freezing day and night, we finally reached the thaw today. Our lowest was 0F. Temp last night was below freezing but it got up to about 50F today. The forecast calls for both day and night time temps above freezing for the next 10 days. It will be over 70F the middle of the week. Snow and ice are almost gone and will be tomorrow.

The wife lost some prized plants but otherwise we came through unscathed.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

jonwallace wrote:
21 Feb 2021, 00:44
...and maybe a nice cup of coffee in the other hand...
You'd have to be a Hindu god: cake in one hand, coffee in another, phone in a third, and steering wheel in the fourth...
Best wishes,
Hans