Yum

DenGar
3StarLounger

Yum

Post by DenGar »

Combat meals in Afghanistan--Quite a range of foods and quantity.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2010 ... rtson.html

Argus
GoldLounger

Re: Yum

Post by Argus »

Yum indeed, hmmm, now wait a minute...

I notice that the German, Swedish and Norwegian packages contain chewing gums from Denmark, but that there are none of them in the Danish package. Hmmm. On the other hand, the British package contains chewing gums with a Swedish origin, but now owned by a British company. On the other other hand, the Italians don't need that, they've got three toothbrushes (in one package!), :grin: they also got small sausages, who would've guessed that. And that the Spanish are so fond of pills?

Wait, bah, the British company has acquired the Danish chewing gums as well, what's the world coming to?
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Quite a change from C-rations dad used to bring home from maneuvers (stale dated) They were our tree-house stash lol. The stale crackers with grape jelly gave you instant dry mouth, which was washed down with a packet of coffee or sour tasting lemon drink akin to "Tang." Also, not forgetting those dinky can opener contraptions which cut into your fingers until you got the hang of it. Contests were had seeing who could open their cans the quickest, and the winner took all the sweets--you didn't know how wonderful real chocolate tasted until you broke your molars on those hard chunks of fudge ughhhh Such memories :-)
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Hey Jude wrote:Quite a change from C-rations dad used to bring home ...
I can relate, especially to the can opener part! I still have one of 'em around here someplace!

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Bigaldoc wrote:
I can relate, especially to the can opener part! I still have one of 'em around here someplace!
Bayonet did a MUCH better job!
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

viking33 wrote:Bayonet did a MUCH better job!
:clapping: :laugh: :cheers:

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

viking33 wrote:
Bigaldoc wrote:
Bayonet did a MUCH better job!
A Bowie knife did a fine job too, until I sliced half of my index finger off then it was back to carpal tunnel syndrome with those blasted can openers otherwise known as P-38s Image

steveh
SilverLounger

Post by steveh »

Hi all

You still get these keys on a certain brand of tuna in the UK (I can't recall what brand know but I worked with a bunch of temps from Poland whose stable diet seemed to be tins of tuna mixed with tins of sweetcorn and then put into the microwave, the stink was awful)
Steve
http://www.freightpro-uk.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”
― Benjamin Franklin

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

well, if ya toss in some macaroni and cream of mushroom soup then you could have some sort of macaroni casserole and it would be ok, but just tuna and corn okkkkkkk to each their own.

Goshute
3StarLounger

Post by Goshute »

Hey Jude wrote:... then it was back to carpal tunnel syndrome with those blasted can openers otherwise known as P-38s
:laugh: I have one of those in an emergency kit, I'm scared to even touch the :censored: thing.
Goshute
I float in liquid gardens

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Hey Jude wrote: A Bowie knife did a fine job too, until I sliced half of my index finger off then it was back to carpal tunnel syndrome with those blasted can openers otherwise known as P-38s
That's probably true but they weren't standard Government Issue. A GI bayonet was. I do remember a guy from Louisiana that I was stationed with, who made his own Bowie from a piece of spring steel from a blasted out 6x6 truck rear spring. He must have worked on that thing for 8 months, filing and cutting and polishing, till he had a masterpiece. How he got away with it, I don't know but whenever we saw him, there was that knife being worked on incessantly. How he got it back home with him is another question? :shrug: :sailing:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

Hey Jude wrote: ... with those blasted can openers otherwise known as P-38s
This seems a bit overkill for opening cans, or was it one of these?
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

PaulB
SilverLounger

Post by PaulB »

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: No, one of these.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

Catz
StarLounger

Post by Catz »

I still have the first P-38 I found in my first sea rad.
That was in March 61 and that thing is as sharp today as it was when it came out of its little package.
The only change that has happened to mine is, it turned black.
Because of the kind of unit I was in we ate a lot of sea rads and I became very good and fast with my P-38 to the point that I beat out an electric can opener while home on leave once.
I was sending every one I knew a P-38.
I wonder where they all went?
In fact at one tine way back when, I heard that ????they???? came out with a P-51 which was much larger and from what I was told was mainly used by field mess cooks.
(I guess they needed a bigger can opener to make a bigger mess). :laugh:
Still have mine on my key chain cause I'm still considered by many and my waist line a "chow hound".
They also came in handy (Way back when) when you had a six pack and a church key was no where in sight!
As far as the sea rads went, well when you were in some of the God forsaken places like I was, they can be very tasty to look forward to. (God....I can't believe there was a time I felt like that).
I have heard that the MRE's of today, no matter who's they are, are very much improved not only by taste but sight too.