Not light relief—Europe, Covid-19

Nick Vittum
4StarLounger

Not light relief—Europe, Covid-19

Post by Nick Vittum »

I'm just wondering how things are going on your side of the pond? Over here, a lot of proactive action, but as near as I can tell the "pandemic" itself is no worse than a new virulent strain of flu. But that appearance may only be because it's early days here.

How are you, over there?
—Nick

I’m only an egg (but hard-boiled)

HansV
Administrator

Re: Not light relief—Europe, Covid-19

Post by HansV »

With over 250,000 known cases of infection and over 10,000 deaths world-wide, it's not "just" flue.

Here in The Netherlands, we are still allowed to go outside, but all museums, art galleries, theaters, cinemas, pubs, cafés and restaurants are closed, and more and more stores are closing because nobody goes shopping except for food and other essentials
Best wishes,
Hans

Rebel
4StarLounger
Location: Recently moved to Bracebridge - in the heart of Muskoka.

Post by Rebel »

Nick Vittum wrote:as near as I can tell the "pandemic" itself is no worse than a new virulent strain of flu. But that appearance may only be because it's early days here.
Currently (Mar. 20) in the US alone, there are over 16000 confirmed cases and over 200 deaths. Borders are being closed, states of emergency are being declared, etc. - I don't think I would classify this as "no worse than a new virulent strain of flu".
John :canada:
A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Nick Vittum
4StarLounger

Post by Nick Vittum »

HansV wrote:With over 250,000 known cases of infection and over 10,000 deaths world-wide, it's not "just" flue.
No, Of course, I didn't mean to suggest that. I only meant to say that so far, here in the US (and so far as I can see—clear statistics I have not seen) the actual effects seem to have been no worse than a new and severe strain of flu. But again, it's early days here, and the information available changes daily.
Here in The Netherlands, we are still allowed to go outside, but all museums, art galleries, theaters, cinemas, pubs, cafés and restaurants are closed, and more and more stores are closing because nobody goes shopping except for food and other essentials
Much the same here, at least in my state.
So how are folks (individuals) actually doing? Isolation is hard.
—Nick

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I keep in contact with friends through WhatsApp...
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Most of the team I'm in at work is working from home now. Out of about 25 of us there are only about 6-7 left. I've been given a laptop and have spent a frustrating day trying to work from home, it's been hopelessly inefficient.

Ken

Nick Vittum
4StarLounger

Post by Nick Vittum »

stuck wrote:. . . I've been given a laptop and have spent a frustrating day trying to work from home, it's been hopelessly inefficient.
Because of the laptop, or because you don't have your office around you?
—Nick

Nick Vittum
4StarLounger

Post by Nick Vittum »

Rebel wrote:
Nick Vittum wrote:as near as I can tell the "pandemic" itself is no worse than a new virulent strain of flu. But that appearance may only be because it's early days here.
Currently (Mar. 20) in the US alone, there are over 16000 confirmed cases and over 200 deaths. Borders are being closed, states of emergency are being declared, etc. - I don't think I would classify this as "no worse than a new virulent strain of flu".
Okay. I really wasn't trying to stir up anger. I was genuinely worried and concerned for the folks on this forum in Europe, and hoping to hear more from them.

Edit: but just so you know I'm not completely talking through my hat: By comparison to those 200 deaths you cite in the US (for which you may well have more complete information than I have access to here)—
  • Two examples of new (at the time) and virulent strains of flu:
    1) The 2009 pandemic claimed 12,469 lives in the US. Worldwide death toll estimate range widely from 150,000 to 575,000.
    2) The 1968–69 epidemic (the sickest I've personally ever been in my life) claimed 100,000 lives in the US, and one million worldwide.

But again—it's early days, and I'm not trying to downplay Kovid-19. Only to offer some perspective.
—Nick

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Nick Vittum wrote:Because of the laptop, or because you don't have your office around you?
A bit of both. I couldn't get the laptop to connect to my router via wifi which means I have to set it up one the end of a cable but if I use my really long (20 m) cable it again won't connect (it's a very cheap cable) so I had to use a short cable, meaning it's situated in a less than ideal location. Then there is the lack of screen space. On my desk in the office my main monitor is a 24" one with two 22" ones on either side, three screens in total. You very quickly get used to that amount of real estate. Having to work on only 24" monitor plus the a 13.3" laptop screen is quite a come down.

Ken

Nick Vittum
4StarLounger

Post by Nick Vittum »

stuck wrote: Having to work on only 24" monitor plus the a 13.3" laptop screen is quite a come down.Ken
Yes. I can't work on my laptop monitor any more, my eyes are too bad. But I do use my laptop, with two larger monitors plugged into it, and wireless keyboard and mouse. I've never figured out a way to plug three monitors into it, or I would...
—Nick

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Back to COVID 19 . . .

My daughter and her husband are ER nurses. They have been exposed but are asymptomatic and will not be tested unless that changes.

I monitor the Johns Hopkins dashboard daily. The number of cases in the US was reported as less than 2500 last Monday - 5 days ago - and now shows over 16,000 cases. It is that rate of infection that makes this a very serious concern to Americans. It is too early yet to tell what the mortality rate will be or how long it will take to recover and what, if any, lasting effects there might be.

So far there have been 216 deaths attributed to the virus in the US and only 121 reported recoveries; but, as I said, it's too early to know what the recovery rate will be.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

The word seems to be that the big jump in cases is due to more testing performed thatsimply finds more.

My concern and thanks go out to all the medical staffers realy stacking up huge hours of work time. Has to be mentally and physically exausting for them. :thankyou: :thankyou:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

I retired from my job as a Biomedical Scientist for the NHS in November, but the Registration people have just informed me that they have temporarily re-activated my registration to allow me to work again if required. Though as I have spent the last 20 years as an IT guy rather than a Lab Tech, I'm not sure what I could do if called up.
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

Nick Vittum
4StarLounger

Post by Nick Vittum »

viking33 wrote:My concern and thanks go out to all the medical staffers realy stacking up huge hours of work time. Has to be mentally and physically exausting for them. :thankyou: :thankyou:
Amen to that!
—Nick

Nick Vittum
4StarLounger

Post by Nick Vittum »

jonwallace wrote: Registration people have just informed me that they have temporarily re-activated my registration to allow me to work again if required.
Stay safe, stay healthy.
—Nick

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Keep safe.
When I Internet search, I am saddened to see how many citizens in so many countries think this virus is not their concern. Have a thought for Italy with many other countries following 'their curve'.
Nuff said
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I went to do some shopping today. The greengrocer's allowed only 4 customers at a time, and the baker's only 2. There were no shortages there, but a friend of mine told that the supermarket still had many empty shelves, after more than a week of hoarding... :crazy:
Best wishes,
Hans

Nick Vittum
4StarLounger

Post by Nick Vittum »

HansV wrote:I went to do some shopping today. The greengrocer's allowed only 4 customers at a time, and the baker's only 2. There were no shortages there, but a friend of mine told that the supermarket still had many empty shelves, after more than a week of hoarding... :crazy:
I have to go to the grocery store soon. I've been hearing a lot about bare shelves.... here's hoping.
—Nick

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Nick Vittum wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Okay. I really wasn't trying to stir up anger. I was genuinely worried and concerned for the folks on this forum in Europe, and hoping to hear more from them.

Edit: but just so you know I'm not completely talking through my hat: By comparison to those 200 deaths you cite in the US (for which you may well have more complete information than I have access to here)—
  • Two examples of new (at the time) and virulent strains of flu:
    1) The 2009 pandemic claimed 12,469 lives in the US. Worldwide death toll estimate range widely from 150,000 to 575,000.
    2) The 1968–69 epidemic (the sickest I've personally ever been in my life) claimed 100,000 lives in the US, and one million worldwide.

But again—it's early days, and I'm not trying to downplay Kovid-19. Only to offer some perspective.
Yes, recent flu season was mild here, but you have to remember, and when looking at those numbers, that a) we have some immunity and vaccine for flu (vaccine being a mix of what they think is this year's flu) (And yes, 1958 & 68/69 were bad.) b) it's a different virus (SARS-CoV-2).

And one has to remember that what is reported is confirmed cases. (And with a R0 of around 2.4 I think 60-70% will get it if no measures at all are taken.)
That said, it's true that an awful lot of people die in different diseases every year.
BobH wrote:The number of cases in the US was reported as less than 2500 last Monday - 5 days ago - and now shows over 16,000 cases. It is that rate of infection that makes this a very serious concern to Americans. It is too early yet to tell what the mortality rate will be or how long it will take to recover and what, if any, lasting effects there might be.

So far there have been 216 deaths attributed to the virus in the US and only 121 reported recoveries; but, as I said, it's too early to know what the recovery rate will be.
The spread is more or less the same with no measures in place; some countries are larger, not as densely populated, will perhaps see clusters instead. A serious concern, as I see it, for Americans is the initial reaction with testing as I understand there were discussions, and the fact that, as in many countries, many people can't afford staying off work when they feel sick. (On the other hand, if people stay indoors a lot, it doesn't matter that much if a low-paid waitress is at work, there won't be any guests.)
stuck wrote:I've been given a laptop and have spent a frustrating day trying to work from home, it's been hopelessly inefficient.
One person at SR, Swedish Radio (think BBC Radio, classic music) is recording a radio program from his home. :smile:
20200321_SRP2.jpg
HansV wrote:I went to do some shopping today. The greengrocer's allowed only 4 customers at a time, and the baker's only 2. There were no shortages there, but a friend of mine told that the supermarket still had many empty shelves, after more than a week of hoarding... :crazy:
Hamsteren, hamstring in Swedish. :/
https://jammeke.tumblr.com/post/6127435 ... dutch-sign" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TP went empty on the shelves in the middle of last week here; people are crazy (we have plenty of wood, we export; and what not).
I could say one or two things to the people hoarding just about everything incl. paracetamol-things; older people can't travel around trying to find some basic things for their one-person household.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

silverback
5StarLounger

Post by silverback »

Worried? Watch this spookily prescient talk from Bill Gates in March, 2015.
Worrying doesn't come close. :brickwall:
Silverback
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Af6b_wyiwI