Any Latin Scholars Here?

BobH
UraniumLounger

Any Latin Scholars Here?

Post by BobH »

I'm looking for a web site that will translate English phrases into Latin and vice versa. My googling has returned only marginal results in that I can't be sure that the grammar is correct.

For example, how would one translate the English, "We have lost the laws of the land" to Latin.? I've come up with "Legem Terrae" meaning law of the land and "perdo" as the verb 'lost' or 'squandered'. I have no training in Latin and don't know how to use the verb correctly (person, case, tense, etc.) in the phrase. I also suspect that there is a reflexive involved in using the phrase correctly in Latin.

If someone could point me to a website that would help me in this area I would appreciate it. If you want just to translate the phrase, that would be great, too; but I'd like to understand the grammar as well.

TIA
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Re: Any Latin Scholars Here?

Post by John Gray »

Bob - your best bet is a news-group (Google Group?) which deals with Latin and has persons who know what they are talking about (!). Quite some time ago I got the indispensable 'yoof' phrase: "Yeah, right - whatever" translated to "Ita, esto - quidcumque", but sadly I didn't keep the details of the group.
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

"Yoof"???
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Yoof: "(British slang) Youth (young person, young people or the state of being young)."
Best wishes,
Hans

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

A (mis)pronunciation of 'youth', I take it, as opposed to an acronym.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Yes, indeed.
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Similar to "My Cousin Vinny" wherein Joe Pesci says "Ute" (meaning the Brooklyn equivalent of YOUTH) and the judge gets pretty irate with him. (We New Yawk'ers do talk funny)

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

To paraphrase Churchill, Joe Pesci as Vinny and Fred Gwynne as Judge Haller certainly are two Americans "separated by a common language." Their verbal sparring cracks me up!
Regards,
Paul

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

tanks
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

PaulB wrote:A (mis)pronunciation of 'youth', I take it, as opposed to an acronym.
Yes, it is part of a phrase "yoof culture", relating to the activities of the more illiterate younger members of our community. In some areas of the country "youth" is actually pronounced "yoof".

The Urban Dictionary defines Yoof, in part, as:
A cynical description for a style of marketing or programming created by establishment or corporate interests that seeks to identify with the under-21's and thereby sucker them into parting with their cash or individuality with its promise of street credibility or non-conformity.
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...

Bowlie
5StarLounger

Post by Bowlie »

OK, you're a lawnmower, but why would I want to tell you?