The June solstice

Argus
GoldLounger

The June solstice

Post by Argus »

It's that time of the year, again, here in the northern hemisphere, known as the summer solstice; the longest day of the year. It can be seen as the first day of the summer, if one like, though that is often defined by meteorological parameters such as temperature, and by that definition it's been summer for some month.

So, that's indeed something to celebrate, and it sure is easier when there is so much light ... :laugh: Over here, in Sweden, we celebrate Midsummer, and Midsummer's Eve this weekend. There is a lot of music related to summer.

Rhapsody No.1, Midsommarvaka by Hugo Alfven.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vac9kL8qCEA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Song of summer by Wilhelm Peterson-Berger
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQc2RlBB-vM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Summertime, Ella Fitzgerald
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j6avX7ebkM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oh yes, the spring; we had one this year as well. :smile: However, we celebrate the arrival a month after the March equinox, at Valborgsmässoafton, Walpurgis Night, 30 April, as some other countries also do. In almost every town in Sweden you could hear (mostly male) choirs performing, among other, these songs (obviously with Swedish lyrics):

Längtan till landet (Yearning for the land. (However, not pining for the fjords, that's for the Norwegians. :grin: )).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgrNj_6A9rE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Uti vår hage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pmk81df9jk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As we all know, our friends in the southern hemisphere now experience the winter solstice, and have a lot to look forward to; a nice spring.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Re: The June solstice

Post by DaveA »

Sure would like to see of of that sun, as we here in the Northwest are still having winter weather.
It is still in the high 40-low 50's at night and may get to the very low 60's during the day.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

We've had a few nice days here, but far fewer than normally; on Saturday and Sunday, the maximum temperature was about 13°C (55°F), whereas 21°C (70°F) is normal for this time of the year. But it's getting warmer at last...
Best wishes,
Hans

Jezza
5StarLounger

Post by Jezza »

Certainly was, I went out for a run this evening with the sole purpose of getting to a certain viewpoint that points West at just before 21:21 hrs just to see the sun set. Not the best I have seen but nice to lean on a gate post and see it happen.
Jerry
I’ll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there’s evidence of any thinking going on inside it

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Oh boy, here in Kentucky, it has been VERY HOT lately with high humidity as well. Today and the next two days are expected to be in the mid-90°F range and it's very difficult for ol' folks like me to stay outdoors for very long. I love the summer, but when it gets hotter than 85°F it's a bit intolerable.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

DaveA wrote:Sure would like to see of of that sun, as we here in the Northwest are still having winter weather.
I can understand that. In Sweden, in the Stockholm area (in the middle of the country, sort of) it hasn't been that warm the last days, around 16-21°C, but still better than 50, low 60's. Perhaps some days quite similar. Some weeks ago we had 25-28°C, but that's typical spring/early summer, and it's getting a bit colder now, will probably get some rain in the weekend. Ah well.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

We've had one day 101°F (38°C) so far. Today might have been 100°F but I haven't heard the official high yet. We had 64 days last year over 100°F.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Argus wrote:It's that time of the year, again,
"Depressing", I call it.
I woke up this morning, Tuesday June 22nd, and had to resign myself to the observations that already the days are getting shorter ... It seems that we only just got over winter, and here it comes again ....
He who plants a seed, plants life.

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
"Depressing", I call it.
I woke up this morning, Tuesday June 22nd, and had to resign myself to the observations that already the days are getting shorter ... It seems that we only just got over winter, and here it comes again ....
I concur....winter will be here before we know it.
I don't care for winter skiing, etc. anymore so there's no allure to go outside and play in the white stuff. Moving someplace warm always sounds enticing until I think about the snakes, scorpions, spiders......:flee: So I guess I'll stay here, endure the cold and avoid the creepy things that I dislike even more intensely.
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Y'all STOP all that talk about winter! Summer just got here and (in Kentucky) we've got at least four more months of "nice" weather, albeit as hot as Hades sometimes.

WebGenii
StarLounger

Post by WebGenii »

Bigaldoc wrote:Oh boy, here in Kentucky, it has been VERY HOT lately with high humidity as well. Today and the next two days are expected to be in the mid-90°F range and it's very difficult for ol' folks like me to stay outdoors for very long. I love the summer, but when it gets hotter than 85°F it's a bit intolerable.
I'd love to see it hot here. We've had a most miserable spring that has culminated in floods in my area. While we are up too high for flooding to be a concern, my neighbours are experiencing water logged basements.
We live in a semi-desert for crying out loud!

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
"Depressing", I call it.
I concur....winter will be here before we know it.
Ah yes, pessimism. :grin: We see some of that here as well. But then please note that for us in the northern hemisphere, and that includes Toronto and Ohio, last time I checked, :laugh: we can find some consolation in the fact that the period between the summer solstice and the September equinox is longer than the next two following periods (September to Winter solstice, and Winter solstice to March equinox). That is, the speed isn't constant, and that is a gift we can enjoy with 3-5 days longer "seasons" (summer and spring). :bananas:
[td=center]Date[/td][td=left]Days since last solstice or equinox[/td]
2010-03-20
2010-06-2193
2010-09-2394
2010-12-2189
2011-03-2089
2011-06-2193
2011-09-2394

BigKev
StarLounger

Post by BigKev »

Without getting into a 'It's hotter here than where you are' contest. It was 47C yesterday here and the high so far this year has been 59C.

Thank the lord for air conditioning.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

59C? That must be unbearably hot, even in a dry climate!
Best wishes,
Hans

BigKev
StarLounger

Post by BigKev »

Actually I don't believe that figure. it was reported in the newspaper with a picture of a column outside a bank showing that number (these things alternately show the time and the temperature). I have a feeling it was not functioning properly. However, I have been outdoors when the temperature is in the 50s and I can report that it is brutal.

Officially it never gets over 49C here because according to the labor law at 50C all people working outside can stop work and retreat to a shaded area.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

BigKev wrote:Without getting into a 'It's hotter here than where you are' contest. It was 47C yesterday here and the high so far this year has been 59C.
There is no call for that, since this thread is about “my days are longer than yours” or "my nights are brighter than yours". :grin:
45-55°C, ouch. I’ve once experienced 112°F (around 44°C) and that was almost unbearable.

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

Aye the nichts are fair draa'in in...
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

jonwallace wrote:Aye the nichts are fair draa'in in...
:laugh: I wasn't popular when I made a similar comment after some one else had noted that daylight today (22nd) was about 30secs shorter than yeserday.

Ken

stans
Lounger

Post by stans »

85 to 90 here heat index has went to 108 on some days. Powerful thunderstorms almost everyday. The humidity is miserable. Send us some cool weather!

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

HansV wrote:59C? That must be unbearably hot, even in a dry climate!
I can't speak for 59C but I can speak for 55C. It is brutal. I worked the summer and autumn of '91 in Madrid (wearing suit and tie every day). I don't know if that was a particularly hot summer or not, but I recall seeing the temperature signs showing readings in the 50s. The highest I recall was 55C. The really strange thing was that when one came out of the hotel at 9:00 pm for dinner, the temperature in the mid 90s actually felt a bit chill.

Life is all about contrasts, I guess.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs