Soccer World Cup 2010

Kiwi Keith
NewLounger

Re: Soccer World Cup 2010

Post by Kiwi Keith »

Bigaldoc wrote:In the current match with Chile, the Swiss had a player sent off and the bloggers are going crazy! Seems the refereeing in this Cup is now the hottest item of the tournament.

I'll reserve commenting any further because seeing the replay is a lot different than what the referee sees at ground level.
And then there's the Italian dive squad who managed a draw against New Zealand with the aid of the referee.

Bowlie
5StarLounger

Post by Bowlie »

Et les blues, :chocciebar: alors, donc

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

South Africa:

I always like to see, for sentimental reasons, the host nation make it through to the next round. It's a doggone shame that South Africa won't do so.

The French fell apart this year and S.A. deserved to move on... Such is life in sports...

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

England.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

South Africa is out of the tournament... :(

However...the final game we had against France was the best football I have seen us play in a loooooooong time!!! I only wish now that we played like that in our other two matches...and we would have most definitely been in the last 16! Too bad though! The matches are all excellent though, and I seem to have developed a new passion for the beautiful game. Its great to have all these amazing teams in my backyard, playing their hearts out. WHAT A SPECTACLE!!!
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Bigaldoc wrote:South Africa:

I always like to see, for sentimental reasons, the host nation make it through to the next round. It's a doggone shame that South Africa won't do so.

The French fell apart this year and S.A. deserved to move on... Such is life in sports...
Thanks for that message of consolation BigAl. It is a pity they did not get through, as they played through their teeth against France. If only they played that way from the start!!! :scratch: :hairout:

Anyways....even though they are out I can safely say.... The vuvuzela's will still be blaring out loud for the remaining matches :)

Here is my vuvuzela... :fanfare: :fanfare: :fanfare: :fanfare: :fanfare: :fanfare: :fanfare:
Regards,
Rudi

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I hope everyone will indulge me a little "high five'ing" for both the USA and England after today's matches!! USA, USA...

If you've read any of the history, you'll see that the USA hasn't won their group since 1930, so it's a great tribute to our player Donovan and his not "giving up" on the ball during the extra time effort! His follow through earned the USA the group win.

Our Saturday oppenent is playing in one of the two currently active games and I'm watching the Germany-Ghana match as I write.

In spite of all the hoopla about the referees, this has (so far) been an entertaining tournament.

ADDED: Oops, Germany just scored in the 60th minute and they'll be a tough opponent if they make it through!

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

BigAl...contrats for USA for winning in the 90th minute! That must have been the ultra hi-lite of Donovan's life...let alone career. :grin:

You must be elated with the victory and the result! (I envy your teams progress!!!)
Regards,
Rudi

Bowlie
5StarLounger

Post by Bowlie »

Just thought I would share some comments from the worst referee, so far ...

I don't envy them. Here's some :chocciebar: and :cheers: provided they don't :fanfare:

diegol
StarLounger

Post by diegol »

I'm a big fan of Hector Baldassi, the Argentine referee. I have only seen him in the Holland - Japan game two Saturdays ago, with a discreet performance.

Hope he will be able to show all his aptitude and common sense in the Cup. It's true admiration that I feel about his decision-making, which is VERY uncommon.

:argentina: Diegol

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I'm watching "The Orange" play (dressed in white!) in what might be a meaningless match. They should go through based on current points. If Japan also wins, it might be Netherlands and Japan advancing.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I don't know why, but I'm a fan of the Swiss, so I hope they win tomorrow and that Spain does as well. That would ensure the Swiss make it through (I think).

diegol
StarLounger

Post by diegol »

Bigaldoc wrote:I don't know why, but I'm a fan of the Swiss
I'm not a fan of the Swiss football team. I do however feel some attraction to Switzerland because of the great mathematician Leonhard Euler. Slightly off topic :innocent:.

Bowlie
5StarLounger

Post by Bowlie »

Bigaldoc wrote:I don't know why, but I'm a fan of the Swiss, so I hope they win tomorrow and that Spain does as well. That would ensure the Swiss make it through (I think).
The way things stand at the moment (Hond. 0 Switz 0 and Spain 2 Chile 1) Switzerland needs to score two goals and win. One goal if Spain scores another.

Both scenarios very unlikely given the current status with about 15 minutes to go.

Edited to add: 21:20 FULL-TIME Switzerland v Honduras
That's it, all over. The Swiss sink to their knees - they are out of the World Cup, their failure to beat Honduras costing them a place in the last 16 regardless of the Chile-Spain result.

You don't win, if you don't score goals.
Last edited by Bowlie on 25 Jun 2010, 20:24, edited 1 time in total.

Bowlie
5StarLounger

Post by Bowlie »

diegol wrote:
I'm not a fan of the Swiss football team. I do however feel some attraction to Switzerland because of the great mathematician Leonhard Euler. Slightly off topic :innocent:.
Ah, I remember him well - he used to be on the 10 franc note. (He didn't actually spend much time here)

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Bowlie wrote:You don't win, if you don't score goals.
Yeah, I watched the match, hoping against hope that the Swiss could score, but alas, it wasn't to be. Well, I guess we get what we've got...

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Speaking of what we've got, for anyone who hasn't kept up today, here's what the next round looks like for the next four days:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

And sadly, it was deja vu all over again (2006)!

The Ghanaians outhustled, outmuscled and generally outplayed the Americans today. My team looked exhausted in the second half and by the time the extra times came, they seemed to have no fuel left in their tanks.

It was fun while it lasted.

diegol
StarLounger

Post by diegol »

I only saw the first half and it seemed to me that Ghana played quite well in the offense. The US team lacked some clarity and offensive depth.

Sorry Al.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

diegol wrote:I only saw the first half and it seemed to me that Ghana played quite well in the offense. The US team lacked some clarity and offensive depth.

Sorry Al.
Sorry not necessary, my friend. You're 100% correct. The USA team just wasn't at its peak today and you have to give the kids from Ghana a lot of credit. They played with intensity and I thought they had the time of possession locked up, in spite of what the stats say.