Soccer World Cup 2010

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Soccer World Cup 2010

Post by Rudi »

Hey guys...

Seems I have missed out on all the chat!

Yep...its great that SA managed a draw against Mexico. Even better that France and Uruguay drew...that keeps us in the running.
About the vuvuzela's....They can really REALLY get annoying!!! I agree with comments about turning the sound down...etc! One match is OK...but if your watching a few in the course of the week...they really get under your skin!!

Thanks for all the comments. Great to read everyones view on the matches and results!
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

And, as our Yogi is prone to say: "It ain't over 'til it's over!"

Bowlie
5StarLounger

Post by Bowlie »

t ain't over 'til it's over
Or as they say in Switzerland: No se acaba hasta que ha terminado! :razz: :spain:

Hopp Suisse! :switzerland:

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Bowlie wrote:
t ain't over 'til it's over
Or as they say in Switzerland: No se acaba hasta que ha terminado! :razz: :spain:

Hopp Suisse! :switzerland:
The Swiss beat SPAIN? Wow, I'm gonna have to go now and watch THAT replay! I just got home.

Congratulations!

Bowlie
5StarLounger

Post by Bowlie »

Al,
Found this today on cnet.com. How to remove vuvuzelas from an audio stream.

Good luck!

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Good one! But mine is a lot easier: I just turn OFF the audio for I don't need commentary during a soccer/football game! Works like a charm...

Gfamily
NewLounger

Post by Gfamily »

Bowlie wrote:A Swiss mathematician has calculated that Switzerland has a 1.3% chance of winning the World Cup. Even better, he calculates that they have a 60% chance of not loosing the opening match against Spain. :scratch:
Hopp Suisse!
Pretty good mathematician then!

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Rudi wrote:Seems I have missed out on all the chat!
... but not all the fun http://games.allmyfaves.com/soccerballs/
He who plants a seed, plants life.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
Rudi wrote:Seems I have missed out on all the chat!
... but not all the fun http://games.allmyfaves.com/soccerballs/
:thumbup: :wink:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Bowlie
5StarLounger

Post by Bowlie »

This guy is looking forward to Monday's game vs. Chile. Although he may have soiled his trousers, in anticipation.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Just in case anyone is interested in the current standings (Sunday, 20 June):

2010 FIFA World Cupâ„¢ - Groups and Standings

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Being something of a neophyte to World Cup football, can some of you aficionados please explain to me what happened to the winning goal in the match between Slovenia and the US?

I've watched every replay I could find on TV and the Internet, and I can't see a violation against the Americans. The Slovenians looked to me to be holding at least 2 of the American players and possibly a third.

Will the official's call - which I understand he was required to document the reason(s) for after the game - ever be explained to the fans?

Do you think soccer would be improved or harmed by the instant replay capability if it were made a part of the rules?

Enquiring minds and all.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Bowlie
5StarLounger

Post by Bowlie »

Bob, it's sorta like baseball. Well, no it isn't - but it will be some time before we see 'instant replay' referees in either sport. I'll leave it to Edu, the player

“As much as we’d all like for that to have been a goal, and for that to have stood, there’s nothing we can do about it now, right?” he said. “The ref saw the game as he saw it. The play’s behind us now, so now we’ve got to focus our attention to trying to get a win against Algeria in our final game.”

Whatever the Ref saw, it was before Edu took his shot - his hand was already moving up.

And no, FIFA doesn't release the game reports.

Edited to add - You might want to look at this from the NY Times

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

There's also this. The ref for that game does NOT have a great track record. It's a damn shame FIFA won't change the outcome of the game on video review. I too have watched the replays, in slow motion, and cannot determine WHY the USA goal was disallowed.

FIFA may ax U.S.-Slovenia ref from WC

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I really thought that it was my ignorance of the game that prevented me seeing the violation. That, at least, makes me feel better.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

No it was not your "ignorance of the game ".
You should try living with a State Soccer Referee Administrator and having her see this game!
:flee: :flee: :flee: :scratch: :scratch:
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I see the turmoil of Les Bleus is on hold and the players have returned to practice today. They either win or go home in tomorrow's match. We'll have to see...

2010 World Cup: France resumes training.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

In the current match with Chile, the Swiss had a player sent off and the bloggers are going crazy! Seems the refereeing in this Cup is now the hottest item of the tournament.

I'll reserve commenting any further because seeing the replay is a lot different than what the referee sees at ground level.

Bowlie
5StarLounger

Post by Bowlie »

Bigaldoc wrote:In the current match with Chile, the Swiss had a player sent off and the bloggers are going crazy! Seems the refereeing in this Cup is now the hottest item of the tournament.
And some are of the opinion that the goal was off-side. Well, I certainly wouldn't want the job as WC referee - at least half the crowd hate you, and the other half love you.

However this isn't the first year there have been questionable calls - such as the hand of god goal!

diegol
StarLounger

Post by diegol »

Bowlie wrote:And some are of the opinion that the goal was off-side. Well, I certainly wouldn't want the job as WC referee - at least half the crowd hate you, and the other half love you.

However this isn't the first year there have been questionable calls - such as the hand of god goal!
50%-50% is not always the case. Take yesterday's match of Brazil vs Ivory Coast as an example. I don't think fans of either team are happy with the referee. On the one hand, Luis Fabiano used his hand/arm twice in the play of his second goal (speaking of the "Hand of God"...); on the other hand, players from Ivory Coast played extremely roughly, several foul plays deserved a red card (such as the one that injured Elano and took him out of the game) but the referee wouldn't be severe enough. Until Kaka was sent out with a red card, which I would judge as appropriate in a regular context, but not in this match.

Brazil won 3-1, Ivorians probably feel some deception for Luis Fabiano's goal being allowed, and still you can watch Dunga yelling "Ladrão! Ladrão!" (thief! thief!) at the referee after Kaka got the red card.

:argentina: Diegol