Soccer World Cup 2010

Rudi
gamma jay

Soccer World Cup 2010

Post by Rudi »

Hi All,

There is only 10 days left before the start of the World Cup 2010. South Africa is buzzing with a hive of final prep for the start on 11 June. The main stadium in Greenpoint, Cape Town looks amazing and is all ready for the first of the matches to be played here. The world cup is taking such predominance that the Super 14 rugby contest final (between NZ, Aus, and SA) had to be played in Orlando Stadium because the main stadium in Pretoria was declared off limits to pamper the pitch... (This stadium is the home ground for the Bulls, who were the competition leaders in the Super 14...and even they were not able to lay claim for home ground advantage!)

Our country has gone through some major infrastructure changes: new roads, stadiums and improvements on hotels and airports!!! Its amazing to see what a huge difference a sports event can do to a city.

Anyways... I guess I'd like to ask what everyones expectations are for this world cup?
1. Who is supporting the teams and
2. Who is interested in the game?

I think most of the members form Europe and Britain may be interested in the event...but how big is soccer in the USA and Australia?

Let me know ... it would be great to know everyones thought and who are enthusiasts and supporters of their teams.

Cheers
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

VegasNath
5StarLounger

Re: Soccer World Cup 2010

Post by VegasNath »

:england:
signed: BritishBulldog(fromWales)
:wales: Nathan :uk:
There's no place like home.....

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'm afraid that even though The Netherlands participate in the world cup, football/soccer doesn't interest me much...
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

How about the Microsoft Office World Cup... Betcha this interests you... :laugh: :wink:
Regards,
Rudi

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I've already won the Grand Prize in the Microsoft Lotteries - several times :grin:
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I LOVE soccer (football to the rest of the world), have been a youth coach and a VERY amateur "club" player when I was in high school oh so many years ago. I always wanted to play in goal but was never good enough.

I follow the USA team as best I can and WILL be watching as many games as I can, ESPECIALLY our game with England!

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

HansV wrote:I've already won the Grand Prize in the Microsoft Lotteries - several times :grin:
Are those the lotteries you and Lief were talking about and where you got all those Imperial Russian Railway bonds?

Ken
PS I can't be doing with football either.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Yes, indeed!
Best wishes,
Hans

VegasNath
5StarLounger

Post by VegasNath »

Bigaldoc wrote:....... ESPECIALLY our game with England!
Well, our friendly with Japan yesterday required 2 own goals from Japan to secure an England win (2-1). It was a diabolical performance IMHO. I do not see England going very far at all based on recent performance. though I will be glued to the screen.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

VegasNath wrote:I will be glued to the screen.
Let me know if you get stuck :groan:

Ken

VegasNath
5StarLounger

Post by VegasNath »

stuck wrote:
VegasNath wrote:I will be glued to the screen.
Let me know if you get stuck :groan:

Ken
Ho Ho Ho, :groan: backatcha :evilgrin:

johbot
2StarLounger

Post by johbot »

I'm not much of a fan of any football code, but if I have to follow anything it is round ball football so I will take notice of what is happening over the next few weeks.

In Australia, Australian Rules, Rugby League take up most of the big sport money and column inches in the media. But Football has the largest participation rates and does a lot to develop the sport at community level. Changes in administration at the national level in recent years to broaden the appeal of the sport has worked and now big crowds are a regular occurrence at the national league games. Add to that the impressive careers of a few home grown talents and our national team making it into the World Cup twice in a row now adds to the fervour. I've also got to say that I think that the quality of the media interest in Australia is important too. Football is shown by the multicultural broadcaster and they have very knowledgeable commentators and ex players to help us with our experience. These folk are not the boofy commentators that tend to be associated with the other codes. It's nice to be treated to commentary that teaches you something about the game rather than just grunts that coincide with movement of the ball. (But then I'm a cycling fan and Phil Liggett has spoiled (as in treated me well) me with intelligent sports commentary).

The town that I live in has a significant ethnic influence and this has helped to make it a major sport locally. And we have lots of junior players who join our running group to keep up their fitness. That can't be a bad thing.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Thanks all for your comments. It is quite interesting to see who is following the sport and how the sport (soccer) is acknowledged in your respective countries. I have always known the sport to have large numbers of followers in the UK and some areas of Europe such as Italy, Croatia, Spain, etc.. and then of course in the South Americas. So I am very interested to see everyones views on soccer and particularly on the World Cup.
Regards,
Rudi

Don Wells
5StarLounger

Post by Don Wells »

Here is a quote from this morning's Ottawa Citizen which may give some insight into the next generation of soccer players. Go figure!
Team scoring more than five-goal differential will default

From page E1 In yet another nod to the protection of fledgling selfesteem, an Ottawa children’s soccer league has introduced a rule that says any team that wins a game by more than five goals will lose by default.

The Gloucester Dragons Recreational Soccer League’s newly implemented edict is intended to dissuade a runaway game in favour of sportsmanship. The rule replaces its five-goal mercy regulation, whereby any scoring beyond a five-goal differential would not be registered.
Regards
Don

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Woah...fancy this rule in the WC!

Score 4 goals and then let the opposition score three...and then you can score three more... It becomes more of a maths game than a soccer game. :laugh:
Regards,
Rudi

Bowlie
5StarLounger

Post by Bowlie »

A Swiss mathematician has calculated that Switzerland has a 1.3% chance of winning the World Cup. Even better, he calculates that they have a 60% chance of not loosing the opening match against Spain. :scratch:

Thank goodness Canada aren't in it - I'd have two reasons to hide under the bed!

Hopp Suisse!
Last edited by Bowlie on 03 Jun 2010, 19:39, edited 1 time in total.

Goshute
3StarLounger

Post by Goshute »

I used to play "soccer" outdoors in Aus, and then indoors in the US, until I turned my ankle very badly in an indoor game (which also ended my very mediocre tennis game).

:whisper: a five goal difference Rudi, not a five goal total.
Goshute
I float in liquid gardens

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Goshute wrote:I used to play "soccer" outdoors in Aus, and then indoors in the US, until I turned my ankle very badly in an indoor game (which also ended my very mediocre tennis game).
Funny what happens as we get older! In spite of the fact that I played on a "club level" as a kid and coached youths for many years, I hadn't ventured onto the pitch as a player for a long, long time.

In the mid-70s when I was at IBM in Boulder, Colorado, we had a "fun league" of employees so I joined a team of co-workers. Since I would be ineffective as a striker, I was playing in the midfield. We had a bunch of employees on site from Netherlands and Brazil at the time. One day we had a game and the opposition contained a number of Brazilians. I got the "pee waddling piss" beat out of me by a couple of BIG Brazilians and that's when I realized that I was out of my league and stopped playing in an attempt to keep from getting crippled!

Goshute
3StarLounger

Post by Goshute »

I played wing when I was young, was a back later indoors. The US indoor league included one predominantly German team who usually kicked our butts, but after a while they recognized that I had fairly good anticipation and gap closing skills on defense, and kept the ball away from me. Then one night they decided to change their lineup for no known reason, and we beat them about 12-3, I even dribbled one past the goalie. They reverted to the old lineup soon after that. :sad:
Goshute
I float in liquid gardens

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

....and a quick guide to the fixtures:

Mundial 2010 en MARCA.com
Leif