Wish me luck!

garbsmj
4StarLounger

Wish me luck!

Post by garbsmj »

Tomorrow is the "Please don't block my driveway" day for me. They have little league games at the park and I don't understand why these people have to block my driveway so their little precious ones don't have to walk too far. I need to leave for a karate class and either I can't get out or I can't get in when I try to pull in after class is over. One time someone parked right in front of my driveway and then got all up in my face when I asked them to move their car. 'Scuse me but if I had an emergency and the ambulance had to show up, they'd have a hard time, too. :burnup:

I printed out a very polite sign with the friendlies font to put in my driveway but I don't know if this is legal or not and frankly, I don't care. I just wish somebody would carpool instead of 59 gas-wastin' SUVs. You know?
When one cat leaves, another mysteriously shows up.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Wish me luck!

Post by HansV »

Can't you rope off the area in front of the driveway, or something?
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

garbsmj wrote:Tomorrow is the "Please don't block my driveway" day for me. They have little league games at the park and I don't understand why these people have to block my driveway so their little precious ones don't have to walk too far. I need to leave for a karate class and either I can't get out or I can't get in when I try to pull in after class is over. One time someone parked right in front of my driveway and then got all up in my face when I asked them to move their car. 'Scuse me but if I had an emergency and the ambulance had to show up, they'd have a hard time, too. :burnup:

I printed out a very polite sign with the friendlies font to put in my driveway but I don't know if this is legal or not and frankly, I don't care. I just wish somebody would carpool instead of 59 gas-wastin' SUVs. You know?
Do like they do in Boston after a snowstorm. They dig out "their" space and put trash cans and\or chairs and things in the now pre owned parking spot! :evilgrin:
If someone dares to move them, the cars get "keyed" or all the tires go flat mysteriously! :blackhole:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Lights my fuse on a somewhat similar topic. For reasons I won't go into here, I have a state authorized handicapped parking permit. It really gripes my butt when I go someplace and the reserved spaces are taken up with people who have NO permit. So, I made up a 5x8 card that I keep (a few) on the sun visor in my car. I'm sure it doesn't help, but when I spot one, I put a card on the windshield, hoping to embarrass them for the next time:
    • HEY DRIVER:

YOU TOOK MY PARKING PLACE!

HOW RUDE AND INCONSIDERATE OF YOU!

I HAVE A HANDICAPPED PARKING PERMIT!

HOW ABOUT YOU?

Samantha
3StarLounger

Post by Samantha »

If they're blocking your driveway, it's a sure bet they're parking in front of others', too. Sounds like it's time for a call to city hall to find out what your rights are and to request that parking enforcement swing through the neighborhood while the games are going on.

You might also consider putting up a sign that says that any vehicle blocking your driveway will be towed at the owner's expense. Around here, towing companies provide those signs gratis to businesses, and they might let you have a few to post where the heaviest concentration of illegal parking occurs. Even if you don't plan on exercising the right to tow a vehicle, it might serve as a deterrent to the more timid violators. Although in my experience the kind of people who would block a driveway are also the sort that come with a super-sized expectation of entitlement who assume that rules are for everyone else. :shrug:
Samantha

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

In the UK it is illegal to park across a driveway, and you can be given a parking ticket for this.

A friend of mine got one of these tickets for parking across their own driveway. The logic was that the law treats everyone equally, and there was no way for the parking enforcers to know who owned the car.
StuartR

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

First call should be to city hall.

Second call should be to towing companies for a sign.

You might try getting some traffic cones to block the drive, too.

As far as the abuse of handicap parking spaces is concerned, I've been known to ask people if their handicap is mental when it appears that they have no physical impairment and no license plate or tag. Here in TX it is illegal for anyone to whom the tag was NOT issued to use it to park in a space marked for handicapped parking. We put our initials on the tag. I've seen family members abuse the issuance of tags and called them out on it. If it turns out that I'm wrong, I just apologize and explain that I understand their need. If I see a vehicle parked in a space sans tag, I take a picture with my phone that shows the sign, license plate and rear view mirror and send it to the police department with an email.

I was physically debilitated and in much pain for several years with a very badly worn out hip and knee that were eventually replaced after the cardiologists got me thru a whole year without problems. I know what difficulty those with real problems face. Even though I still have my license plate, I don't use a marked space very often preferring to leave them for those who have worse problems than I do now. There are some days when arthritis flares cause me to seek the closest parking, but most days I just enjoy the fact that I can get a little more exercise.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

garbsmj
4StarLounger

Post by garbsmj »

I was thinking about traffic cones but here's the deal. I've been living here for years and people used to be nice about things but now that the park has rearranged the situation, people who don't live here are the culprits. I think if just one of them would try to back up with what I have contend with, they would all be dutifully parking in the appropriate areas. As it is, I have already had an altercation with people blocking my driveway and it has not been fun. One time I gunned my engine and backed up anyway and this guy came running over cussing and swearing like I was the bad person. Tomorrow, I'm posting my sign but I'm trying to figure out where to put it because I don't want it in my way when I try to back out. Think my karate uniform will scare them? I almost have my black belt.
When one cat leaves, another mysteriously shows up.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Well, it would cost you one day of wasted time but maybe one day would be enough. Get a lawn chair and a baseball bat. Sit at the end of your driveway with the bat clearly visible. When someone parks and gets out of his car, you would say something like "... hey, I've heard that cars get a little damaged for parking there..." Of course, he wouldn't have to know that YOU have no intention of damaging his car, but maybe he'd get the idea.

Goshute
3StarLounger

Post by Goshute »

For the getting out, perhaps you can block your own driveway (if you are the sole owner - don't block it if it's condos or apartments.).

Blocking driveways is rarely legal, but in the US these laws are nearly always local ordinance, so you'll need to check with your city about your rights and remedies. If anyone gets in your face, pull out your cell phone and say "OK, let's call the cops". (Doesn't have to be a working cell phone. :anigrin: )
Goshute
I float in liquid gardens

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

Bigaldoc wrote:Lights my fuse on a somewhat similar topic. For reasons I won't go into here, I have a state authorized handicapped parking permit. It really gripes my butt when I go someplace and the reserved spaces are taken up with people who have NO permit. So, I made up a 5x8 card that I keep (a few) on the sun visor in my car. I'm sure it doesn't help, but when I spot one, I put a card on the windshield, hoping to embarrass them for the next time:
    • HEY DRIVER:

YOU TOOK MY PARKING PLACE!

HOW RUDE AND INCONSIDERATE OF YOU!

I HAVE A HANDICAPPED PARKING PERMIT!

HOW ABOUT YOU?
Next time, try parking them in and call the local police to let them know you are making a citizen's arrest and would like them to come take the violator into custody. I'm sure they will have a care there in a few minutes. :evilgrin:

The police don't like that any better than the handicapped do.
If life gives you melons,
You may be dyslexic.

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

garbsmj wrote:Tomorrow is the "Please don't block my driveway" day for me. They have little league games at the park and I don't understand why these people have to block my driveway so their little precious ones don't have to walk too far. I need to leave for a karate class and either I can't get out or I can't get in when I try to pull in after class is over. One time someone parked right in front of my driveway and then got all up in my face when I asked them to move their car. 'Scuse me but if I had an emergency and the ambulance had to show up, they'd have a hard time, too. :burnup:

Have you tried parking in front of your own driveway ?? :scratch: :innocent:
If life gives you melons,
You may be dyslexic.

Jezza
5StarLounger

Post by Jezza »

StuartR wrote:In the UK it is illegal to park across a driveway, and you can be given a parking ticket for this.

A friend of mine got one of these tickets for parking across their own driveway. The logic was that the law treats everyone equally, and there was no way for the parking enforcers to know who owned the car.
That is an interesting one Stuart as in fact the way I was taught it when I was in the Police was that it was NOT an offence per se to park in front of a drive if the car was IN the drive but was an offence if there was NO car in the drive but only if there was no drop kerb. There is no specific law of "Parking in front of a Driveway" but there is guidance in the Highway Code. However it can be used as evidence under the Road Traffic Act 1988:

Cause unnecessary obstruction by motor vehicle : Contrary to regulation 103 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986, section 42 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 and Schedule 2 to the Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988

Regulation 103 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 creates the offence of unnecessary obstruction.

If a Police Constable deems that an offence has taken place then it can be dealt by an unendorsable Fixed Penalty Notice [FPN] and will only deal with it if there is a specific complaint unlike the outsourced Council Enforcement Officers who will be more proactive. However there may indeed be local bye laws in place that make this a specific offence and more likely to have a FPN.

The only way, as mentioned above to save the plot is to stake your claim with boards and bins with a notice saying "Medical 24 hour access required, please do not park here" this sometimes plays on the side of the public
Jerry
I’ll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there’s evidence of any thinking going on inside it

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Goshute wrote:(Doesn't have to be a working cell phone.
(Following the saga with interest ...)
I disagree.
I learned back in 1970 "Never make a promise or a threat you're not prepared to keep", and I have won out over several intimidators who whip out their cell phone at me.
Because I'm following the maxim above, I'm never involved in a situation unless I know that I am in the right and can prove it.
Because of that I am on firm ground and can call the bully's bluff.
Latest incident: Three years ago I took a swipe (in anger) at a car that swerved across my path when I was crossing with the pedestrian green light. The corner of the laptop in the canvas bag put a 12-inch dent in the side of the car. (See "anger" above)
Out comes the cell-phone, "I'm gonna call the cops".
"You go right ahead, buddy, and while you are waiting for them to arrive, think of a good explanation as to how I was close enough to the side of your car to render such a dent".
End of conversation.

garbsmj:
Your cell phone needs to work.
You need to be able to call the cops.
And for that you need to know your ground.

Do the research, contact the city, get it in writing, and when you are sure of your solid ground, stand your ground, face up to the bullies. But don't get involved until you have your ammunition in the gun, in a manner of speaking.

I like the tow-truck idea of them handing out cards that generate revenue$ for them. Smart Guys!
Presumably if you end up generating some business for them, they'll hand out cards to every property-owner on the street/in the district, and then you'll have the entire street happy and driveway-free.

Providing you let them know that you have the correct city papers in hand, I suspect the cops too will be happy to swing by at least once each game day. True/false they have quotas to reach, they are probably aware that they are defusing the situation, rendering the incidence of baseball bats, car keys, and flat tyres obsolete, each of which (incidents) causes them more headaches and paperwork than they care to deal with.

With love to all :hugs:
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

MickeyMouse
Lounger

Post by MickeyMouse »

garbsmj wrote:
I don't understand why these people have to block my driveway so their little precious ones don't have to walk too far.
I am not sure what the laws are where you are but you should not be the one doing the confronting. I would definitely check with your local police/traffic control office and find out what the local laws are. If it turns out that what they are doing is illegal, and I am pretty sure it is, then I would request that the local constabulary be on hand for the first couple of days of the event at least to make sure that the offending drivers are on notice.

Point in case, a few years ago the parking along the road next to our park became the main parking lot, so to speak. The homes along this road were being completely blockaded. They approached the police who then made a point of being on hand to stop the practice. In addition, because they were spending additional manpower, not budgeted, they approached the town managers and had signs ordered that were put up indicating that parking along that stretch of roadways was illegal. Problem cleared up almost immediately. Only one or two cars got ticketed and towed.

Given the way people are these days, the all to often discussed lack of respect and personal responsibility, it is never a good idea to enter into personal confrontation with a stranger. You NEVER know the personality or instability of the individual you are confronting. Our local police have always encouraged people from trying to enforce the local laws, that is their job! It is what you pay them to do so get your money's worth!
How best to describe Eileen's Lounge -
"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, working together is the Lounge"

MickeyMouse
Lounger

Post by MickeyMouse »

garbsmj wrote:
Think my karate uniform will scare them? I almost have my black belt.
Again, not sure about your local laws but, should a personal confrontation occur, the fact that you are trained in Karate (even if you are not quite a black belt) would actually work against you. I recommend that you not stand out there in uniform as that might just encourage the more unstable offenders. If it went to court you would likely lose. It is sad but true. Karate training may help you in a fist-to-cuffs engagement but it will rarely beat a bullet from a crazy man!

In this instance I agree with Chris (not that I don't usually), never take a stance like that without being sure you want to follow through to the end result, whatever that may be. There are those crazies out there that will push you to the limit because they assume they can bully you out of it and make themselves look more powerful.
"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, working together is the Lounge"

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

MickeyMouse wrote:In this instance I agree with Chris (not that I don't usually), ...
Can we debate that? (G&DR!)
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

MickeyMouse
Lounger

Post by MickeyMouse »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
MickeyMouse wrote:In this instance I agree with Chris (not that I don't usually), ...
Can we debate that? (G&DR!)
Sure, as long as your Kill Cat is no where in the vicinity! :flee:

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

jezza wrote:......the way I was taught it when I was in the Police...
Jerry,

I :bow: to your greater knowledge on this subject.
StuartR

Jezza
5StarLounger

Post by Jezza »

Oh no, I may be totally wrong as it was a good few years ago...the secret is just not do it in my opinion.

Outside the Log Cabin we have a grassed area with a tree, it looks very much like a council owned area and we had a builder from next door park on it. I went around to ask him to move it to which he replied "What you going :censored: going to do about it, it's public land" I informed him that I would put a metal stake in the ground and padlock his door handle to it as it was my front lawn....he was aghast, apologised profusely and moved his van...people will always try and get away with it if they can.
Jerry
I’ll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there’s evidence of any thinking going on inside it