John Grisham and the TPL

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

John Grisham and the TPL

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Untitled.png
The Toronto Public Library has some great systems (also some that don't work too well), but I love the HOLDS system.
I'm reading a book by, say, Susan Blackmore, and she refers to a book by, say, Stephen Pinker.
I search the TPL catalogue and place a hold on the Pinker, then get back to life.
Typically one or two days later the TPL leaves a voice-mail saying that there is material to be picked up.
The Yorkville branch is my current location, so that's where the books are sent; I pick up a couple of books each trip.
But if I were working near, say, Agincourt branch for a month I could have the truck drop them off up there.

I like, too, that I can return material at any branch, and it all ends up back where it belongs - no excuses for not returning material.

It will not have escaped your notice that I've just asked for the latest John Grisham book.
The TPL has, it tells me, 246 copies (that's two to three copies PER BRANCH) and I am 424th in the lineup.
Which means I'll probably receive one of the 246 copies within a week.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: John Grisham and the TPL

Post by Rudi »

Nifty. Nice to see that libraries are computerized nowadays?!
I say that as I'll be honest to say that I have not stepped into a library for more than a decade (at least!) Rather sad really!
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Howdy, Chris!

Seeing that you have a hold placed on a John Grisham book, I'm guessing that you like his work.

Recently, I read Sycamore Row. While I found it fun reading about the characters from his first work, I was quite disappointed in the way in which he telegraphed to ending so early in the plot development. His writing and characterizations are great, but I think he needs to work on plot development and the revelation of the ending and the denouement.

Do you find the same thing?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Rudi wrote:Nifty. Nice to see that libraries are computerized nowadays?!
Nowadays? I started working in Library Automation back in 1973-74.
University of Western Australia; Reid Library. LOANLY system.
I was the programmer, but the designer stank!

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:... I was quite disappointed in the way in which he telegraphed to ending so early in the plot development. ....Do you find the same thing?
Yup.
But Grisham admits that he is not a novelist, just a story-teller.
Think of (almost) and children's story; even when we hear it for the first time we know that { the wicked witch will die } {the children will be saved } {the wolf will boil in a pot} ...
Grisham's main theme is "The underdog wins against all odds, with a bit of help from more experienced people."

Some novels don't "win", I'm thinking of The Appeal.

But see how similar are "A Time To Kill", "The Firm", "Pelican Brief", "The Client", "The Rainmaker" - in each one the underdog wins against evil.

They are predictable, but then so is Mc Donalds - over xxx billions served.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

ChrisGreaves wrote:Nowadays? I started working in Library Automation back in 1973-74.
University of Western Australia; Reid Library. LOANLY system.
I was the programmer, but the designer stank!
Cool....is that you in the blue shirt :wink:
You don't look to LOANLY with that sweetheart next to you...
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Rudi wrote:Cool....is that you in the blue shirt :wink: You don't look to LOANLY with that sweetheart next to you...
Nah. I shared a room across from the Physics building with Rob Freeth and we were both enrolled in the Dip. Comp course and listened to my reel-to-reel classical tapes each day.