RIP BigAlDoc

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

RIP BigAlDoc

Post by GeoffW »

I am very sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Al Hoffman- BigAlDoc has passed away.

Several forum members had noticed his absence from the forum over the last week. He hadn't posted on Facebook for a little while either, which is quite unusual.

I contacted several of his friends on Facebook- his friends list was private, but I sent messages to people who had responded to his status updates in the previous month or so.

As a result of this, somebody contacted his sister
My name is xxx, I am the sister of Al Hoffman. You contacted my daughter, xxx, earlier regarding my brother. We have tried to call him but get no answer. We are in Florida so I have contacted the Lexington Police Department and they are sending an officer out to his home to check on him.
And later
My brother was found deceased in his home. His son was contacted at work and entered the house with the police. They think he died on Monday as that was the last time my nephew spoke with him. Thank you for alerting us. The brothers & sisters are quite spread out and often go a week or 2 without communicating. This is very sad for our family.
And again later
It's a sad state of affairs when someone on the computer, who has never met you misses you first and reaches out to find out if everything is ok. Humanitarianism. It says something about our family not 'connecting' and this must be addressed. I promise you, Geoff, you have made a big difference in MY life tonight. I will not let a day go by without contacting the people I love and telling them I love them. Thanks for being my brother's friend and Thanks for opening our family's eye. You did a wonderful thing her tonight.
I will accept the kudos on behalf of the forum members who raised their concerns.

I had known Al on Woody's Lounge, initially, here, and on Facebook, and regarded him as a friend. I especially admired his love and devotion to his wife Billie, who he cared for with devotion through her time of dementia.

Perhaps we can post tributes here and pass them on to his family.

Edited to add:
Al's profile

The pictures show him with his beloved Billie, who died about three years ago. He was devoted to her, even in her declining years with dementia. He was always proud of his Akubra hat- he asked advice from several of us Aussies- Claude had to help, as Al knew more about Akubras than I did.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by GeoffW on 19 May 2013, 03:46, edited 1 time in total.

Leif
Administrator

Re: RIP BigAlDoc

Post by Leif »

Thanks for posting this, Geoff, very sad news.

Rest in peace BigAl.
Leif

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

Yes, RIP BigAl and, our condolences to the family members.

You will be missed for sure.
Cheers, Claude.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

I was quite stunned and deeply saddened to read this news.
BigAl was always "a good bloke" with compassion and honesty. To die so suddenly is a great blow to his relatives, all his friends at Eileen's Lounge, and elsewhere.

Well done to Geoff for following up his unexplained absence.

RIP BigAl
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I am very sad to hear this. I have never met Al, although we came close when I was in Louisville last year, but I still thought of him as a friend.
StuartR

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

That is very sad news indeed. Big Al was a well-loved member of Woody's Lounge and after that of Eileen's Lounge.

My thoughts are with his relatives and friends, to whom this must come as a terrible shock.

Geoff, thank you for your action!
Best wishes,
Hans

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

I am sitting here trying to absorb the fact that Al is gone. I was fortunate to meet him.

During a mini-vacation to Kentucky, my hubby, Al and I had lunch and became acquainted as people do when they first meet. And yes, he wore his famous hat! People are sometimes concerned that the person they exchange internet contact with, will not be the person they portray. Al was exactly the person I knew here. No pretense, no bluster, very kind and knowledgable. I'm missing him already. Thank you for sharing this very sad news.
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.

silverback
5StarLounger

Post by silverback »

Shocking news, especially the way of his passing.

Let's hope he's with his beloved wife Billie once more.
Silverback

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

RIP Al, we miss you already but we know our loss is Billie's gain.

I too never met Al but came to regard him as a friend. While most of our exchanges were around things about PCs on hearing of his passing my first thought is of his devotion to and love for Billie; it was a shining example of true love.

Ken

mishmish3000
PlatinumLounger

Post by mishmish3000 »

I am so sad for his family's loss and for our's here on Eileen's Lounge. Al was a wonderful person and I really enjoyed knowing him, helping him cheer on his favorite team, and talking with him via emails. God bless you, BigAL! Blessings to all...
Anne

Rebel
4StarLounger
Location: Recently moved to Bracebridge - in the heart of Muskoka.

Post by Rebel »

After noticing Al's absence, I'm sure that many of us were dreading this news. I'm still having a hard time accepting the finality of this.

I too originally "met" Al at Woody's, sharing many conversations via the forums, emails and PMs. Al was a unique character, and although I was not fortunate to meet Al in person, I considered him a good friend and someone with whom I felt extremely comfortable.

Al unashamedly wore his heart on his sleeve, shouting his love for Billie for all the world to hear! Perhaps his adoration and devotion can teach us all a bit about the true meaning of love.

RIP Al, and God Bless You! I will miss you.
John :canada:
A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

RIP Al, and may the Gods Bless You
You will be and are missed
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

This is very sad news; and very difficult to accept.

Thank you, Geoff, for sharing this.

Al was always there helping new members in our forum, and checking with people to see that everything was all right. Like Geoff I admired his love and devotion to his wife Billie. I enjoyed reading his stories, and came to regard him as a friend, as we exchanged PMs and discussed things in the forums.

My condolences to his family, relatives and friends.

Rest in peace, Al; we will miss you!
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Slim
StarLounger

Post by Slim »

I only knew Al through the Lounge but I always looked forward to his keen insights and words of advice. We will all miss him.
Sincere condolences to his family.
Slim

IanWilson
3StarLounger

Post by IanWilson »

I'm very sorry to hear this. Like many others here, I knew Al only online - the closest we got to actually meeting was trying out the Facebook video chat with a call to each other - but I regarded him as a real friend.

Ian

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

There is a big hole in my heart and soul.

Rest in Peace, Al.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

TonyE
3StarLounger

Post by TonyE »

Goodbye Al, you will be missed.

Back with Billie, the love of your life.
Tony

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

This is his son Albert, we believe he passed away Thursday P.M. We found his medicine case & Thursday A.M. was taken but not Thursday P.M. He had told my Aunts & few others that he felt so bad & tired that all he could do was sleep. He didn't even get on the computer which if you know him tells you how bad he must've felt. I know that all his friends would want to know. I want to thank you all for being part of his "family" especially since my Mom passed 3 years ago. I take comfort that he is no longer in pain & is with my Mom again in a better place. God Bless you all. Albert T. Hoffman

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

This is news that I have dreaded to hear. When no posts were received from Al, I had at first the feeling that he was ill and possibly taken to the hospital, but as the days went past I had the feeling that he was gone, hoping I was wrong. I sent an email to his personal address but no answer. Sadly, now the news comes that he has passed away.
I came to know Al from the original Woodies Lounge, now Eileen's. Through the years, we exchanged messages and news of one another's coming and goings. We got to calling each other by our military association. He was "soldier or Sarge," I was "sailor or SeaBee." When Billie passed, I hoped that somehow I was able to comfort him in his sorrow.
Now he is gone to be with her. Rest in bountiful peace, Al.
I and all of us here in the Lounge already miss you so much.

Al's last post on the lounge, May 3 @16:16

BigAlDoc
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

westerneagle
2StarLounger

Post by westerneagle »

Al was very big about making back ups.....I hope he made a good back up and we will hear from him again!!!

A loss indeed...he will be missed.
Mike J