Which monitor?

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Which monitor?

Post by StuartR »

Many graphics cards have two connectors, and this is probably the easiest way to connect two monitors to a PC.

You can install two graphics cards, and the operating system will manage the multiple monitors that you connect. The only role played by the motherboard is to provide the connectivity.
StuartR

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

StuartR wrote:The main advantage is the ability to SEE multiple documents at the same time.
I've been thinking about this, too.
I'm used to running a training class from the laptop, the clients see the overhead projector plugged into the side of the laptop; I see the laptop screen, the overhead projector screen being behind me as I face the class.
With Extended Display (as I'm currently using it on my desk) I ought to be able to have the clients see, say, the right-hand screen while I have material "parked" on the notebook screen to the left.

In some way I think of this as having actors "waiting in the wings" to come on stage. The clients won't be able to see them because the actors are on the left-hand, notebook screen.
From the clients point of view, they will be focused on the material under discussion (on the right-hand screen) and won't be distracted as I ferret around (on the left-hand screen) in Windows Explorer, zipped files, emails etc. hunting for the elusive "next scene".
He who plants a seed, plants life.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

StuartR wrote:Many graphics cards have two connectors,
"He's wrong there", I thought as I got up to inspect the back of the old Big Beige Box (circa 1995). Nope! You're right!. I see TWO connectors, next to each other. How come I'd not spotted that before? Have I had this Extended Display capability all these years and never known/used it? (I can't check the BBB right now because it refuses to boot. Just another problem waiting for me to fix ...)
StuartR wrote:You can install two graphics cards, and the operating system will manage the multiple monitors that you connect. The only role played by the motherboard is to provide the connectivity.
So were I to boot up the Big Beige Box with two monitors connected, WinXP itself would handle the extended display?

I assume that the OS would deal with three displays in a like manner. I might have the central monitor being the main display with, say, a VBA project on display, with a Word document to the left, an Excel spreadsheet to the right, and the central VBA screen passing data between the left and right screen documents? Cool!

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Another thing to consider is memory usage. With extended desktop, each monitor uses memory, not only to hold the actual image, but often also a buffer.

Older graphics cards have a limited amount of memory, so they may not support extended desktop on multiple large monitors.

(Why a second connector then, if the video card has a limited amount of memory, you ask? To connect a beamer, for example. To display the same image as the main screen doesn't require extra video memory.)
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:To connect a beamer, for example. To display the same image as the main screen doesn't require extra video memory.)
Beamer? As in an overhead projector that beams up the image?
That's how I've been operating in the past in class, the same screen beamed to two different locations - my own monitor and the overhead projector.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Yes, I meant a projector, overhead or otherwise.
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

An alternative way to use a projector is PowerPoint's "Presenter view". This puts the presentation on the projector and a different display on the monitor, that includes speaker notes and a view of upcoming slides. You can even edit the presentation while it is being projected.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StuartR

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

It is the operating system that extends the display across multilpe monitors and operating systems have been able to do this for a loooooooong time, even Win 98FE supports this function! (yes, I have done it on my venerable Win 98FE box). As you have discovered you simply right click somewhere on your desktop, select 'Properties' and then in the 'Settings' tab use the options there to configure things.

As to how many monitors you can connect to a desktop, that depends on the motherboard and the number and type of spare expansion slots it has available. You simply fit a graphics card with the appropriate connector (AGP, PCI, PCIe, etc) for every monitor you wish to connect into a spare slot. On some motherboards you may have to turn off the 'on-board' video/graphics in the BIOS before the mobo will acknowledge the cards fitted to an AGP slot but generally speaking once you've fitted the hardware Windows will find it and either install the driver automatically or ask you for the disk that will have come with the card.

Ken

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

stuck wrote:... my venerable Win 98FE box... the motherboard and the number and type of spare expansion slots it has available.
Rats!
Back when my BBB would boot, then, I might have fitted five extra monitors to it.
Hans's comments on memory notwithstanding ...
HPIM3580 [320x200].JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

According to this knowledge base article, Windows XP supported up to 10 monitors.
StuartR

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

StuartR wrote:According to this knowledge base article, Windows XP supported up to 10 monitors.
Thanks, Stuart but this ("You could also stretch a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet across two monitors so you can view numerous columns without scrolling. ") is NOT the sort of idea you should be putting into my head! :grin:

The trouble with 10-monitors is that my budget won't stretch that far, although Microsoft's will, partly because mine now won't.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

ChrisGreaves wrote:"You could also stretch ..."
Ball Droppings
Cooler than cool!
Although I had to draw a second line on the second screen.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

I just ordered a new 23" monitor from TD last night which has these specs

Acer G235hAbd 23" Widescreen LCD Monitor
Prices really have dropped considerably.
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Great price. I think you will be happy with your purchase. My wife is very happy with her 24" Acer.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

I couldn't pass that price up for sure!~~!~!~! Thanks Paul

Getting along, little doggie lol

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Hey Jude wrote:I just ordered a new 23" monitor from TD last night which has these specs
FWIW My screen filled up with a A Special Offer from Tiger Direct:
2.png

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
Hey Jude wrote:I just ordered a new 23" monitor from TD last night which has these specs
FWIW My screen filled up with a A Special Offer from Tiger Direct:
TD Acer 23 monitor.jpg
This is what I see when I click that link...no popups or ads :scratch:

Here is a scrolling screen shot of it.
Acer Monitor screen.jpg

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

Just a comment about my perferred multiple monitor configuration:

I have two monitors (or did until the power supply in the ACER flat screen went south - heating up soldering iron now to replace the blown caps).

Each monitor is connected to a separate computer and I use Synergy to use a single mouse and keyboard to control both computers. I've had two monitors on the same PC, but when I'm doing a CPU intensive task (author or write a DVD, batch process photos, music, videos, etc.), I still can't do anything with a second monitor tied to the same PC until the process is complete. Having a second PC is the best productivity enhancer I've tried. As an aside, I'm looking at using Input Director to replace Synergy as it appears to connect the two monitors during the boot process. With Synergy, I need to use each PC's separate keyboard and mouse to boot up, then I can use the common mouse and keyboard.

As for a productivity "dehancer", try running two computers through a single monitor (one connected to the DVI and another to the analog port) and manually switching the inputs to see the other PC's screen. That's why fixing the dead monitor is a high priority!

One note about using KVM switches I saw mentioned earlier - be very careful using those with the modern LCD monitors. The cheaper switches only provided manual hardware switching and did not pass any control information along. Also, most only supported analog displays. If you haven't upgraded to DVI or HDMI connections and have a desktop PC, run out and get an inexpensive graphics card and a DVI cable to add to the PC. You'll be amazed at the difference in clarity between the two modes.
PJ in (usually sunny) FL